BAE Systems USA

Updated March 3, 2015
3.3

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 45 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses disappeared and are now only for upper management, another incentive gone (in 37 reviews)

• For remote sites, recognition by senior management can also be a challenge (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Tight Knit community with many educational and advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CEUs and Classes are offered and taught on campus with the certifications paid for, nice living area in Southern California

Cons

Some Managers are very spiteful and tend to hold grudges, which for some reason the Directors are OK with.

Directors - It is not OK to allow Managers to hold grudges with their subordinates, everything should be professional.
    Managers - Grow up. People make mistakes, and instead of making their lives miserable, make sure they learn from their mistake.

Principle Software Engineer

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in South Ogden, UT

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management if very refreshing. They are not divisive with the workers and support them..

Cons

Pay is lower then other companies.

Independent work, but too many managers.

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Good relocation package, no day to day management.

Cons

Shorter contract than expected; no relocation funding when returning to east coast; no bump in salary when returning to a higher cost of living area.

Cut out a lot of the management staff.

BAE was a fair enough place to work. Lot of it depends on where you are and what contract you are working on

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington Park, MD
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington Park, MD

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay
    work schedule was flexible probably like most places.

Cons

when i was there they were starting to slash benefits

didn't get a lot of exposure to the rest of the company where i was working, it was mainly just people involved in that specific contract.

We had a terrible office environment, not the people just literally the building. Dirty floors, no windows, terrible climate control. Wasn't BAE's building it was the government but still it was pretty bad.

There was way too much middle management that could have been cut out to focus on the engineering problems.
    When people start using your company to just get their foot in the door and leave after 2 years over and over something isn't right.

Downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most coworkers are easy to get along...I've formed strong friendships with many.

Cons

Management is extremely distant, lazy and overall not knowledgeable. Most employees perform their own work PLUS managements work (such as creating and maintaining metrics). Constant turnover in management. Extreme nepotism. Management allows the 'inmates to run the asylum'. No room for advancement and when there are openings that far more deserving and ambitious people deserve they are filled by management with their unqualified friends. I was severely underpaid for my position and the work that I brought to the table. Hard work and intelligence get you nowhere in this company. When I tried to improve areas that were underperforming I was met with disdain and lazy management that was fine with the status quo. These managers and supervisors drive people out that challenge the way things are currently done and expose areas in need of severe improvement because they have hired their friends and family. At the same time they tried to implement a 'continuous improvement' initiative they were blocking improvements from occurring because of their pettiness. Management laziness allowed the program to fizzle out as quick as they 'tried' to start it...and one of them was a Black Belt, haha. Ineptitude and laziness are rampant in this company. Also, if you're a young woman I would not suggest taking employment at the Manassas, VA site as there is a serial sexual harasser that has been allowed to run amock because HR refuses to do anything about him even though he's been reported multiple times. It truly was once a very good place to work until this new wave of horrendous 'management' came in.

Stop being lazy blowhards and get your heads out of your you-know-what. Start hiring qualified personnel and reward intelligence and hard work.

Good company

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

The people were nice, helpful and enjoyable to work with. Great benefits. Clean, well kept environment. Reasonably current equipment. Free soda and coffee.

Cons

Biggest con was the lack of IT personnel. My workstation required reimaging and was not functional at all and it would have taken 5 work days to get it complete if I hadn't had my manager step in to escalate.

review of BAE Systems USA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

An excellent employer. One of the very best places I have worked.

Cons

none except layoffs and plant shutdowns.

Please call me back to work.

Leadership Vacuum

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Average benefits package, variety of career fields

Cons

Program management completely lacking in leadership skills. Employees are simply "FTE" to be swapped from one side of the spreadsheet to another. Completely unprofessional and unskilled managers abound.

Listen to feedback - take action.

BAE Systems integrates innovative technologies to mid-life upgrades to air/land/sea platforms. Good company to work for

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

BAE Systems has some innovative technologies and is willing to invest in keeping those technologies relevant. BAE Systems does provide some good technical solutions to military obsolescence. They are making inroads with winning new contracts on some of the latest aircraft commercially.

BAE Systems treated their employees with dignity - even in the midst of layoffs caused by government contract termination.

Cons

Invest more in government relations resources - politics plays a large role in the decision-maker's minds for large government contracts (how many high-tech jobs will come to a given city/state if BAE Systems wins this government contract?).

BAE Systems needs to work on branding and name recognition within the U.S.

Act like a prime aerospace integration company. No, BAE Systems isn't an aerospace OEM in the US; however, there are some opportunities to leverage the company's strengths into large scale integrations for avionic system upgrades given reduced defense budgets and the explosion of remote sensing platforms (drones).

Go beyond building high-quality subsystems, grow to the point where BAE Systems is know for the integration of those subsystems on relevant platforms.

Both satisfying and frustrating

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many smaller projects and programs in the Electronic Systems sector, allowing for ownership over large parts of the solution if you so desire. Great people and culture in some groups. I was lucky enough to work with a great group for the majority of my 5+ years at BAE on some rewarding work. The company generally allows you to forge your own path. Some immediate functional managers are great and will reward you for success. While benefits have gone down over the past few years, they're generally competitive with the rest of the defense industry. Many paths to grow your career and the company encourages you to be "agile" and try new things, which was great as an engineer right out of school. I was lucky enough to have opportunities to interact directly with end users of my product early in my career, which is not likely an opportunity I would have had elsewhere. Extremely flexible with work hours and understanding of work/life balance if you work in one of the better areas of the company.

Cons

The organization in Nashua, NH is bipolar, with many groups being pretty great to work in. However, the Canal Street facility is generally a factory of sadness and oppression, with a really poor culture in comparison to the rest of the company. Unfortunately, much of upper management is from that culture and legacy products from those groups receive preferential treatment over other groups despite their success. This results in a general lack of growth and investment in technology in areas beyond RF systems and IR countermeasures which I'm afraid will inevitably lead to some other promising product lines to die off when their solutions are surpassed by those of their competitors due to lack of investment. My product is a major feature in the company's current marketing strategy due to its success, but the product group has little support from a science & technology level to support the development of upgrades and new products, resulting in a lot of frustration at the engineering level. The CEO for the past 4 years was generally useless, but I have hope that the new CEO will help to unify all of the smaller companies that were purchased to create BAE at large.

Modernize the mindset of the Canal Street facility and make an effort to build a more positive culture there. Support programs that show success beyond the legacy product lines and don't just "talk the talk".