BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.4

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 43 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Some instability in upper management; I had 3 managers over the duration of about two years (in 36 reviews)

• For remote sites, recognition by senior management can also be a challenge (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting place to work when defense budget it loaded

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Wayne, NJ

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some very smart people working on interesting technologies, very clear career ladders

Cons

poor leadership, poor career advancements opportunities

The Operations Leadership Development Program was awesome!

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OLDP was a great way to transition from college to the workplace, immediately have 50 friends of the same age and given responsibilities and exposure that some 10+ year employees didn't get. Work-life balance was great. You sometimes worked a little later but only on weekends if you did on your own accord, it was a ghost-town out of work hours. Great people, would definitely recommend!

Cons

Only reason why I left was to see another industry.

Keep up the great development programs!

Large Company

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Competitive Salary at entry level, great tuition reimbursement program, great training on every new job, ability to rotate to different positions to gain greater experience.

Cons

Large company - easy to feel disconnected from others who work here

Okay company to work for.

Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company had generous PTO. Also, was the prime contractor so lots of opportunities.

Cons

From my perspective, it did not seem like corporate did anything to benefit the service contract employees working on-site. It was difficult to find training or to find opportunities for growth.

Invest in your employees by providing opportunities for training and increased responsibilities.

Great People, Great Pay, Terrible Working Culture/Environment

Former Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is very competitive and there is good benefits

Cons

Business structure changes and a bad economy caused a lot of job functions to be eliminated along with of lay offs. So the employees remaining at the company end up inheriting the additional work load. long working hours, a lot of stress and no extra pay.

Ignoring talent and tolerating mediocrity.

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some very intelligent people work here and nearly all of your co-workers are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Corporate culture of fear is pervasive. The leadership tolerates poor work performance by employees by simply moving them to another contract, but will punish people for minor infractions of policy. Policy is often unwritten and punishment is sometimes unorthodox (i.e. Suspending an employee's travel card while on travel). Policy is sometimes made up on the fly and put into immediate effect.

Stop stressing a project's profitability over the quality of the product or service supplied and perhaps you will get delivery orders. Middle management seems to be a penny wise, but dollar foolish.

Demeaning

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Only thing I can think of was location.

Cons

If you are a contract employee, you are targeted as being subhuman, 2nd class citizen and a punching bag for the spineless direct hire brown nosers. I've seen at least 6 contract employees quit in 2 months. From engineers to supervisors, their main goal is self-serving by back stabbing any of their peers while trying to please his/her superior. Contact employees called this "Nostril bowel entrenching the supervisor. If I was offered $250,000 to work there, I would have to say shove it. (If they can get it passed all of the noses)

To management: Stop dropping trow and open your eyes.
    To the Chairman: Employ some moles to help weed out these subversive and obnoxious direct hires.

Great mission -- Constant Change

Former Employee - Vice President, Communications
    Former Employee - Vice President, Communications

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at BAE Systems because of the focus on the warfighter, opportunities to advance and continue professional growth and its commitment to diversity of thought.

Cons

I worked for the company for eight years and we had four CEOs during that time. Change is expected but change at that level is unhealthy for an organization. It creates anxiety, angst and becomes difficult to retain talent.

Find your course and keep to it.

Defense with Start-up Environment and Talents

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talent recognition and the ability of executive management on cracking the code in growth opportunities (translation: jobs and lots of engineering collaborations). First of all, I have been with the defense industry for over 15 years with two other defense companies (Lockheed and Raytheon) prior to joining the BAE Systems, Inc team. The environment at this BAE Systems facility (Fort Worth, TX) is like a start-up, to me that is a plus. Let me be clear, however, that the grass isn't always greener (see my cons).

Cons

BAE Systems did away the pension system a long time ago. To be honest, this is the trend given that other defense giant such as Lockheed's CEO Marilyn Hewson announced back in 2013 that they are doing the same for all existing pension folks. Lack of opportunities for telecommute (nature of the job).

Keep it up.

Burnt out after only 1.5 years..............

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large company with lots of locations

Cons

High stress, lots of employee issues, theft, workplace violence and a management team that has no authority to fix it or would rather turn a blind eye. Benefits are just okay for such a large company. Moving up in pay is very difficult and they lock you into the minimum of the pay range and it takes forever to move up.