BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
888 reviews filtered by

1. IT systems support hardware

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

very nice company with good benefits adjustable work hours.

Cons

training very limited at my location

2. Engineering Intern

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at BAE Systems USA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- provided a mentor, that was a good intro into the engineering group dynamic
    - Overall good intern structure, had the chance to see many facets of the engineering company

Cons

- Did not give enough direction to interns

3. Decent place to work for pay & benefits, environment, not so much...

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Nashua, NH

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary for the most part. Work week is 9 days over a two week period, so you get every other Friday off. Centrally located for MA or NH commuters. Good facilities with on-site cafeteria, but could use some sprucing up of old office furniture and paint. My department co-workers were generally pleasant and cordial. They have a great career development program for engineering students with personal mentoring and room for promotion. Very interesting palce to work due to the technology they produce: cutting edge military defense products.

Cons

I found a number of the managers there very condescending. Seems like the worst ones were the ones they promoted to higher positions. A lot of ex-military people there who tend to stick to themselves. I found many at the professional level to have a cocky attitude. Some pretty arcane rules about working remotely even though all my work was about 95% computer based and didn't require many face to face meetings. Attempts at team building in my area were poorly orchestrated and a complete failure due to the management in place. Everybody always watching their back. Government cutbacks in defense spending would sometimes spur layoffs where seniority was not really taken into account. Fairly old facility, with old paint, pictures and office fuirniture. I think they have some kind of mold problem with their ventilation systems also. Air quality was horrific...lots of dust.. my allergies always affected me at the office. As soon as I got outside or to my car, no problems.. Many people complained about this.

Advice to Management

I had hoped maybe after I left that you would have taken steps to groom your management force to be more personable and caring about their employees. Instead, what I found out is that you promoted one of the worst managers I've ever had the displeasure of working for to replace a director who did ABSOLUTELY nothing. If being able to sit in your office all day and surf the net is the payback for years of working in your company, then you're doing that well. I feel that you need to pay more attention to what employees say about their managers and directors. I saw many senior people leave (including myself) due to the horrible department management.... soooo condescending and back stabbing...

Great company, bored with the job

Current Employee - Engineer -1 in Hill Air Force Base, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer -1 in Hill Air Force Base, UT

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    amazing people to work with
    very cool what the program is doing
    The company works very well with those on disability

Cons

The government politics of being a contractor
    I am bored with the day to day stuff
    I rarely get to do the analysis that I like or what I went to school for
    The Air Force does not use the resources wisely

Excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was great. Benefits were excellent. Flexible work hours. All around excellent company to work for.

Cons

There weren't really any cons. Most of the co-workers were great to be around. Occasionally you have a bad one, but that's with any job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Employees happiness is number 1 at this company and that's why so many stay. Just do more evaluations of the team leaders to make sure their team is happy with them.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

I worked there for over 5 years and only left, because the location has been changed to a design center staffed mainly with engineers. The people, including management, were open, honest and straightforward. I never had any personnel issues and if I did I felt I could seek help from Human Resources and it would be provided without retaliation. Pay was competitive and benefits were good. I made numerous friends there with whom I still keep in close touch.

Cons

Can't think of a thing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. Great management, limited mobility for those seeking advanced analytic opportunities

Former Employee - Lead All Source Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Lead All Source Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management that prioritizes looking out for their staff members. Pay is pretty competitive.

Cons

Intel analyst opportunities became more limited due to government budget cuts. upward mobility came through progressing on the management track vice analytic, which could be good for some people.

Advice to Management

Keep taking good care of your people!

Project Manager (4 weeks)

Former Employee - Project Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in North Charleston, SC

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, work schedule, and subordinates that worked in the AFHE Maintenance Project

Cons

No structure, organization, no direction, no processes in place for new employees or processes for the work breakdown structure. The leadership was passive with no management skills to develop personnel for success. As an new employee you were left to understand how the company and department operated on your own.

Advice to Management

Get priorities in line by putting processes in place for new employees, and current employees to prevent a revolving door affect on positions. Work on leadership training. Just because you are a DPM does not make you a leader... Set new employees up for success not failure...

10. Senior Reliability & Maintainability Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work if the company can secure DoD projects

Cons

Working with the government's contracts on a project. You never know if you are going to get it or not.

11. It's a roller coaster of reorganization

Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Customer focus and commitment, good opportunities to move around and do different work, interesting products. There is a real sense of purpose in the work and team bonds are strong.

Cons

Seems to reward failure and firefighting over solid planning and execution. Seems to reorganize annually. Defense contracting mindset doesn't drive innovation and efficiency since there's no business incentive to do better.

Advice to Management

Say what you do, do what you say.