BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
3.4

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 41 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Some instability in upper management; I had 3 managers over the duration of about two years (in 35 reviews)

• no middle management, upper management out of touch, short-sighted policies (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

OK for the area, but not great

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Rome, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Rome, NY

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Located in a smaller town, easy commute. There aren't too many other opportunities in that area for tech.

Cons

The senior management of the company was not ideal. The health benefits packages were horrible. You'd get a raise in April, and it would be eaten by the health care increases in October.

Should be more consistent in the values they pass down to the employees (via mandatory training) and the values by which the company operates.

Poorly managed.

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Competitive benefits as one would expect from a large contractor
    - Decent severance

Cons

- My experience with management beyond my team lead (PM, Director, etc) was awful-- ranging from indifferent at best all the way to downright hostile
    - Overall low levels of trust and morale

Work on employee morale. Do not tolerate poor managers. Ask your employees directly about their PM's/Directors. It's a large company- hopefully my experience is not typical.

Promotions based upon tenure not merit

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very fair and employee friendly. Will allow for time off, can buy an extra week of paid time off. 9/80 schedule with a lot of flexibility. Very family-oriented. Management allows a lot of autonomy (just doesn't pay you for it).

Cons

Low compensation, promotions based upon tenure/years of experience rather than on skill and ability resulting in incompetent people in critical positions. Benefits MUCH better at Arlington HQ or in Electronic Systems than in other sectors.

Promote based upon ability rather than time in position. Take a more proactive approach to performance management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management by spreadsheet

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Deep technologies in certain limited areas of the company. Good experience for those interested in a career path in RF, EW, or military intelligence systems.

Cons

Management by spreadsheet. Employees are valued and measured only as individual cells in the spreadsheet. Frequent layoffs. Reorganizations every 6 months. Senior management comes from finance lineage - little understanding of BAE technology or products, hence focus on revenue vs technology.

Focus on strategic technology planning, rather than next quarter's increase in revenue.

Great place to work before, but has gone down hill.

Former Employee - Program Engineering Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Program Engineering Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people. Good technology. Good industry.

Cons

Management consumed by the short term bottom line.

Have a longer term vision.

BAE Systems, a large company going through multiple reorganizations

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Location was close to home.

Cons

Multiple reorganizations, limited vision from Senior Management. Overall strategy same from year to year with no recognition of changing environment.

The services side of the company cannot sustain the products cost associated with a large corporate infrastructure.

very rediculous company

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

in san jose and big office

Cons

too much beauracharcy. people are very isolated and strange... defensive in a defense industry?

Good people, horrible place to work

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

people are great. casual work environment, flexible with working hours. decent 401K match

Cons

no career planning. was specifically told that I couldn't be promoted because my current salary was not high enough. therefore i would have to wait another year or two to get a promotion in order to abide by HR rules. I've been given the highest rating in my program two years in a row. No leadership, people are promoted based on longevity not on skill.

promote based on skill not on tenure. provide the little things for employees. Employees have to provide their own coffee, and SOAP for the kitchen!

Overall, a good temporary job

Former Employee - Software Engineer Subcontractor  in  Endicott, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Subcontractor in Endicott, NY

I worked at BAE Systems USA as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good pay for a temp job. Management seems to be quite reasonable. Work is not overly complicated and co-workers were very open to help. Probably would've been able to work longer however had to leave due to personal issues.

Cons

Workload is not consistent so be prepared for crunch time at certain seasons. If your job involves you being at the desk most of the time, I'd advise plenty of exercise outside. Because this is a temporary job you have to pay for your own benefits.

Very satisfactory, rewarding and always given room to grow within the company.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Due to the weak economy company was forced to lay off; but its values out weighted this negativity. On the job training for its employees is a very positive along with various company benefits.

Cons

In my opinion there are challenges with any work situation. Challenges give me the opportunity to work harder to overcome any office situation, be it the culture, work-life balance.

In my opinion once the employee works hard to satisfy management, (timeliness, work is on schedule,) the employee should be well compensated.

Worked for BAE Systems USA? Contribute to the Community!