BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
873 reviews filtered by

BAE Systems integrates innovative technologies to mid-life upgrades to air/land/sea platforms. Good company to work for

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

BAE Systems has some innovative technologies and is willing to invest in keeping those technologies relevant. BAE Systems does provide some good technical solutions to military obsolescence. They are making inroads with winning new contracts on some of the latest aircraft commercially.

BAE Systems treated their employees with dignity - even in the midst of layoffs caused by government contract termination.

Cons

Invest more in government relations resources - politics plays a large role in the decision-maker's minds for large government contracts (how many high-tech jobs will come to a given city/state if BAE Systems wins this government contract?).

BAE Systems needs to work on branding and name recognition within the U.S.

Act like a prime aerospace integration company. No, BAE Systems isn't an aerospace OEM in the US; however, there are some opportunities to leverage the company's strengths into large scale integrations for avionic system upgrades given reduced defense budgets and the explosion of remote sensing platforms (drones).

Go beyond building high-quality subsystems, grow to the point where BAE Systems is know for the integration of those subsystems on relevant platforms.

2. Independent work, but too many managers.

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Good relocation package, no day to day management.

Cons

Shorter contract than expected; no relocation funding when returning to east coast; no bump in salary when returning to a higher cost of living area.

Cut out a lot of the management staff.

3. Great Company to work for..

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Chance to work with in a big company with opportunities to grow professionally. Great training programs to give you additional skills for move laterally or upward in company. Strong leadership that fosters good working environments.

Cons

Pay is fair at best. Some good employees have left for more pay with a competitor.

I am satisfied with overall pros and cons of company and leadership. Possibly stronger offers and bigger bonuses!

5. Engineer

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Good work life balance. Off Friday's every other week. Access to latest technology. Friendly people who are willing to help out.

Cons

it is very difficult to move up the company ladder. Hard to find opportunities outside your discipline. Do not get pigeon holed.

Better health benefits

6. Overall, a good company to work for,

Former Employee - Imagery Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Imagery Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting work and good pay. Management trusted their employees, gave us autonomy and responsibility. Opportunity to work on diversity of projects.

Cons

Management seemed out of touch with employees at times. Reactionary leadership, uninformed regarding customer requirements. Transition to new contracts obstructed by management. Information was withheld many times, employees were kept in the dark until the last possible minute.

Be more proactive regarding employee's future goals. Facilitate moves to new contracts well in advance of current contracts ending. Keep employees informed, and allow them to participate in more than just the grunt work--allow them to interface with the customer more, attend program management reviews, and interact with their broader professional community.

7. BAE was a fair enough place to work. Lot of it depends on where you are and what contract you are working on

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington Park, MD
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lexington Park, MD

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

competitive pay
    work schedule was flexible probably like most places.

Cons

when i was there they were starting to slash benefits

didn't get a lot of exposure to the rest of the company where i was working, it was mainly just people involved in that specific contract.

We had a terrible office environment, not the people just literally the building. Dirty floors, no windows, terrible climate control. Wasn't BAE's building it was the government but still it was pretty bad.

There was way too much middle management that could have been cut out to focus on the engineering problems.
    When people start using your company to just get their foot in the door and leave after 2 years over and over something isn't right.

Leadership Vacuum

Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst
    Current Employee - Intelligence Analyst

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Average benefits package, variety of career fields

Cons

Program management completely lacking in leadership skills. Employees are simply "FTE" to be swapped from one side of the spreadsheet to another. Completely unprofessional and unskilled managers abound.

Listen to feedback - take action.

9. Systems II

I worked at BAE Systems USA

Pros

Many exciting projects in defense and in commercial fields.

Cons

No proper training path. you learn on the go.

need more employee friendly

10. Both satisfying and frustrating

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many smaller projects and programs in the Electronic Systems sector, allowing for ownership over large parts of the solution if you so desire. Great people and culture in some groups. I was lucky enough to work with a great group for the majority of my 5+ years at BAE on some rewarding work. The company generally allows you to forge your own path. Some immediate functional managers are great and will reward you for success. While benefits have gone down over the past few years, they're generally competitive with the rest of the defense industry. Many paths to grow your career and the company encourages you to be "agile" and try new things, which was great as an engineer right out of school. I was lucky enough to have opportunities to interact directly with end users of my product early in my career, which is not likely an opportunity I would have had elsewhere. Extremely flexible with work hours and understanding of work/life balance if you work in one of the better areas of the company.

Cons

The organization in Nashua, NH is bipolar, with many groups being pretty great to work in. However, the Canal Street facility is generally a factory of sadness and oppression, with a really poor culture in comparison to the rest of the company. Unfortunately, much of upper management is from that culture and legacy products from those groups receive preferential treatment over other groups despite their success. This results in a general lack of growth and investment in technology in areas beyond RF systems and IR countermeasures which I'm afraid will inevitably lead to some other promising product lines to die off when their solutions are surpassed by those of their competitors due to lack of investment. My product is a major feature in the company's current marketing strategy due to its success, but the product group has little support from a science & technology level to support the development of upgrades and new products, resulting in a lot of frustration at the engineering level. The CEO for the past 4 years was generally useless, but I have hope that the new CEO will help to unify all of the smaller companies that were purchased to create BAE at large.

Modernize the mindset of the Canal Street facility and make an effort to build a more positive culture there. Support programs that show success beyond the legacy product lines and don't just "talk the talk".

11. Poorly run company

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are nice. Management not so much.

Cons

We recently won our recompete contract of $125million for the company. After losing out on promotions and pay increases for the last two years we were told at our company all hands that although we won the contract, no one will be getting any promotions or pay increases this year. We were told by our PM that if you want a promotion you need to leave the company and go elsewhere. We have an average turnover of three people a month due to the low morale. I would not recommend this company to anyone seriously considering an engineering career.

Management needs to focus on producing a well-made product instead of spending the money for more low wage unqualified people.