BAE Systems USA Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.4

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 41 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Some instability in upper management; I had 3 managers over the duration of about two years (in 35 reviews)

• no middle management, upper management out of touch, short-sighted policies (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Advancement opportunities are only available to some

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generous salary and benefits, relatively speaking.

Cons

Past culture of promoting employees based on years of service has created a legacy group of overpaid and underqualified workers. Some of their 20+ year employees draw paychecks that far exceed their contribution, but they seem to have a job for life. Some managers are very good, others (again, with many years of service) fumble along making one bad decision after another, just counting down toward retirement. At the other end of the spectrum, young college recruits in the leadership development programs have phenomenal opportunities for growth. Unfortunately, mid-career employees have relatively few opportunities to move up.

Implement a more objective performance rating system, and take a minute to re-evaluate production employees in labor grades 48-52. You will find many so-called "Engineering Assistants" making $30/hr for doing the same work with the same ability as an assembler at less than half the rate.

Great local managers and supervisors. Can't say enough good about those I worked for directly.

Former Employee - Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Applications Developer

I worked at BAE Systems USA as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Very good benefits, good work environment, great people in the local office. Compensation was above average, several of the bonuses were very nice and there's company company stock awarded each year. There's plenty of holiday parties and other events during the year for employees to rub elbows with each other, even though there were more than three projects in the same bulding.

Cons

Minimal promotions, technical training, personal growth. Lack of corporate management agreeing with local management on agreements made with employees. Corporate management terminating programs, bonuses, and other benefits.

Don't continue the one size fits all mentality, it's just not going to work well in the long run for your people. Give the project managers more control over bonuses and program managers control over promotions. Think how much better the employees will do with someone coming to see them, see what they are doing, and know them by name, rather tha being just another number and something to profit from.

BAE

Current Employee - TA Lead  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - TA Lead in Reston, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very diverse environment and challenging work.

Cons

Current processes are not clear, and seem to change quite regularly.

Clear rules of engagement will be welcomed by our staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Most Exciting and Rewarding Place to Work`

Former Employee - Technician  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Ontario, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Time flies when you are busy and for over 24 years at BAE, I was. Pay was great, benefits good, people with whom I worked simply exceptional

Cons

Since it is a business doing primarily defense work, employment hinges on political events and 'changes in the direction' of government fiscal policy, things out of the worker's control.

Keep listening. A major shift toward making employees' voices heard is critical to sustained growth and BAE Systems does and should continue to do so.

Rewarding experience working for a stellar corporate giant and leader in their industry.

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time

Pros

Diverse product lines, divisions, customers and employees.
    Focus on improvement, education, advancement and rewards.

Cons

The only con I noticed is the situation faced by all defense contractors in today's day and age of government cut backs….contracts are becoming more competitive, and companies are unable to give the pay raises they'd like to for some employees working on some contracts.

Continue educating employees, as you do, about the fantastic core values and the growth and reward opportunities available to them. These are wonderful aspects of working at BAE, and are worth promoting often!

Culture varies site to site

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Appropriate Pay
    -Decent Benefits
    -Job security for talented people

Cons

-Not a very agile company
    -Talented people have left the company and continue to do so

Try and expand into new markets by hiring new top tier people

Great company!!

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

I had a really good experience there. The environment is really professional. Coworkers were really friendly.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

always learning, fast pace, no room for errors.

Former Employee - Assembly/Solder  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Assembly/Solder in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good money,, I retired after 16 years, getting a pension ...health insurance

Cons

union was good but some times hurt the relations between company and employee...........

respect the fact that the employees took a a big interest in making their work stations personal to them.
    the company wanted us to not put up family pictures and personalize our work stations...I do understand why...so any person and work anywhere, put it is human nature to "mark your space, make the work you do more like owning it, makes each employee feel like a person not a number.....they should had more cross training also

Going downhill fast. Management is panicked.

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer  in  Endicott, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Endicott, NY

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some opportunity for interesting engineering. Average technical salaries.

Cons

A few years back, BAE was a mid-level place for a college graduate to begin their engineering career. But now the company is caught in a vicious cycle of lost business leading to panicking management leading to unmotivated employees. The facts are available online. Business potential is down so cost-cutting, punitive layoffs, and scapegoating are increasing. Most managers have become bullies or tyrants in a misguided attempt to demonstrate they are reacting to the challenge. Sadly, these are the managers that are rewarded for their misapplied, but highly visible urgency. Ask the HR rep for annual employee surveys and it's obvious that trust and ethical behavior are declining. My engineering peers' emotions range from apathy to frustration to suppressed anger. It is depressing to realize BAE sold known unreliable products to major cities in order to make sales targets, then played a political cover-up game. Best advice from a long timer is 'tell them what they want to hear and take their money'.

It's the old cliche, the first step is admitting a problem exists. After 10 years of data on the annual surveys, the problems continue to be whitewashed or scapegoated. It's clear nothing will change and advice to BAE is fruitless.

good

Former Employee - Enterprise Architect  in  Beavercreek, OH
    Former Employee - Enterprise Architect in Beavercreek, OH

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the pay was good for me

Cons

some times the hours were long

more advisement

Worked for BAE Systems USA? Contribute to the Community!