BAE Systems USA

Updated January 15, 2015
3.3

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro
Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit (in 45 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonuses disappeared and are now only for upper management, another incentive gone (in 37 reviews)

• For remote sites, recognition by senior management can also be a challenge (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Flexible, friendly company that's doing some exciting things

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

It might depend on which program you end up on, but in my experience, people here are intelligent, hard working and extremely friendly. The hours are flexible (9/80, so every other Friday off) and you're not micromanaged, which is something I really appreciate. Even though I don't have that much experience, they gave me the opportunity to prove myself and do actual development instead of just testing or code maintenance. Company is invested in its employees and it shows in the company culture.

Cons

They can be slow adopting new technologies, but that has more to do with the govt contract constraints.

N/a

Functions - Supply Chain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA

Pros

9/80 work schedule with flexible hours. On site gym and healthy life style culture.

Cons

limited to no growth. Upper management is more worried about getting their bonuses than keeping employees.

Shipyard management

Current Employee - Ship Superintendent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Ship Superintendent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities throughout company. Descent pay and benefits. Exciting and proud industry to work in.

Cons

Higher performing employees get more work dumped on them to make up it to the finish line without compensation.

Sustain and backup your people. Don't bow to your customers.

Decent company to work for.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall it is similar to other big name defense contracting firm.. For the San Diego, CA site, depending on the program you are on, the projects attempt to used latest technology (primarily Java). This is a plus. In general most sw developers are good to excellent. There are also some slackers that do enough to get by. Most of the time, you work on average of 40 hrs with occasional OT. Industry average or slightly above pay with average merit increase.

Cons

Difficult to stand out as your supervisor and management tend to look out for themselves and pay little attention to the underlings. Since the company is quite large, you're just a number and a cell in their annual performance spreadsheets. Some projects and groups are quite click-ish where new person joining the team may feel as you don't fit in.
    Benefit has been reduce quite a bit to reduce cost and be more competitive.

more transparency and better communication between the worker bees and middle to senior management.

Burnt out after only 1.5 years..............

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company with lots of locations

Cons

High stress, lots of employee issues, theft, workplace violence and a management team that has no authority to fix it or would rather turn a blind eye. Benefits are just okay for such a large company. Moving up in pay is very difficult and they lock you into the minimum of the pay range and it takes forever to move up.

dangerous environment

Current Employee - Firewatch in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Firewatch in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of work with over time

Cons

Little pay for hours work

Overtime Hours always available

Management by spreadsheet

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Deep technologies in certain limited areas of the company. Good experience for those interested in a career path in RF, EW, or military intelligence systems.

Cons

Management by spreadsheet. Employees are valued and measured only as individual cells in the spreadsheet. Frequent layoffs. Reorganizations every 6 months. Senior management comes from finance lineage - little understanding of BAE technology or products, hence focus on revenue vs technology.

Focus on strategic technology planning, rather than next quarter's increase in revenue.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, management does an excellent job trying to find work for you if your project ends, very flexible work hours, 9/80 pay periods so you get every other Friday off, good benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k), management is actively trying to improve company culture and work environment.

Cons

Benefits have been cut several times over the years, the amount of work the company has is dependent on the size of the government's military budget, work can be very slow sometimes, upward mobility is limited - it seems to be based more on years with the company than merit, raises are small

Job growth in the Rancho Bernardo location is very slow

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, competitive salary. Closed during Christmas while paid for those days off. The company is flexible in terms of taking vacation days.

Cons

No innovation at BAE. You will simply write the software that you are told to. There is no room for creating new products or prototyping new ideas.

Depending on who you work for it can be a good or bad experience. Some projects exists in a secured area so the use of Open Source is not allowed. No Internet or cell phones allowed either. With the government as the primary customer things move more slowly than your average commercial company. Use of state of the art technology is always behind that of commercial companies. Some people don't mind though and will stay with BAE for a lifetime to receive a salary and benefits.

When I worked at BAE I felt my software skills getting old. It was time to move on.

The execute team could promote operating goals for all employees to live by. Allow employees to review the managers. That's something that doesn't exist and really should exist.

Mixed Feelings about my time at BAE

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This was my first job out of college, and I had a lot of co-workers go above and beyond to get me up to speed and show me the ropes. The 9/80 work schedule is fantastic. Full 401k match. I enjoyed working in Liberty Station.

Cons

Uninspiring work that rarely required any innovation. The 1990's called and want their technology back. Over the 5 years I worked there, a significant amount of work was scrapped or put on hold due to contract losses or failure to acquire a contract. Would often go long stretches without writing code. Poor medical benefits.