BAE Systems USA

BAE Systems USA Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jun 28, 2014

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro

Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit(in 41 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Some instability in upper management; I had 3 managers over the duration of about two years(in 35 reviews)

• no middle management, upper management out of touch, short-sighted policies(in 20 reviews)

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly coworkers, management does an excellent job trying to find work for you if your project ends, very flexible work hours, 9/80 pay periods so you get every other Friday off, good benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k), management is actively trying to improve company culture and work environment.

ConsBenefits have been cut several times over the years, the amount of work the company has is dependent on the size of the government's military budget, work can be very slow sometimes, upward mobility is limited - it seems to be based more on years with the company than merit, raises are small

Job growth in the Rancho Bernardo location is very slow

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPretty good benefits, competitive salary. Closed during Christmas while paid for those days off. The company is flexible in terms of taking vacation days.

ConsNo innovation at BAE. You will simply write the software that you are told to. There is no room for creating new products or prototyping new ideas.

Depending on who you work for it can be a good or bad experience. Some projects exists in a secured area so the use of Open Source is not allowed. No Internet or cell phones allowed either. With the government as the primary customer things move more slowly than your average commercial company. Use of state of the art technology is always behind that of commercial companies. Some people don't mind though and will stay with BAE for a lifetime to receive a salary and benefits.

When I worked at BAE I felt my software skills getting old. It was time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe execute team could promote operating goals for all employees to live by. Allow employees to review the managers. That's something that doesn't exist and really should exist.

Mixed Feelings about my time at BAE

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThis was my first job out of college, and I had a lot of co-workers go above and beyond to get me up to speed and show me the ropes. The 9/80 work schedule is fantastic. Full 401k match. I enjoyed working in Liberty Station.

ConsUninspiring work that rarely required any innovation. The 1990's called and want their technology back. Over the 5 years I worked there, a significant amount of work was scrapped or put on hold due to contract losses or failure to acquire a contract. Would often go long stretches without writing code. Poor medical benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Time To Go

Director (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI loved working with the people of this company. All were ready to accept any challenge and succeed. Most were the people that built BAE Systems from the old Mark Ronald days. The ethics of this company are outstanding and make decision making easy. They have a 9/80 work schedule and it is worth working here for but that would be it.

ConsWhen Mark Ronald left the company it went down hill fast. Two very bad CEO's ran the place into a management nightmare. They would like to be known as a great place to work but took so many things from the employees that it became impossible to be a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit threating your employees with layoffs and then expect them to be completely honest with you. Get rid of the "My way or the highway" mentality. You are pushing the innovation and big idea process out of the organization. We worked hard to get rid of the lawyers and accountants from running the company. If they continue they will bankrupt you. Walk your talk. You still are not doing it in I&S. Go get em Jerry DeMuro, you are the great hope for the people who want to be great at BAE. Get rid of the Lockheed mentality.

It's goverment contracting ...

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFixed schedule due to how government contracting works. All hours are accounted for, which means overtime has to be approved on a contract. 9/80 schedule can be a benefit if people are used to working long hours a day. Opportunities to work on different technologies from a variety of contract wins. Good 401k match. Vacation times are great for tenured employees.

ConsMobility between projects is both a boon and a bane. Talentless employees are often retained due to government mandates on minority/gender quotas. Employees are mired in an attitude of apathy being caught in an upper management political machine where middle managers attempt to carve out their own fiefdoms. As with all government contractors, waste is rampant. Success of projects are dictated by how much money the company can bilk out of taxpayers. Innovation is scarce; security dictates that any open source related technologies must go through a tedious process of scrutiny before inclusion in any type of classified environment. Serious ra-ra! attitude in support of the "warfighter" in an attempt to justify poor practices. Health benefits are terrible and vacation time for new employees is abysmal. Pay scales are below industry standards. Review practices are archaic with a rating system pitting employee against employee where upper management "ranks" each person with quotas for the amount of exceptional to abysmal ratings awarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking the taxpayers to town. Get rid of the old guard. Start hiring talented young people by attracting them with incentives. Increase employee pay. Get rid of your rating system and start evaluating employees on a per person basis. It makes sense that if you hire a bunch of talented employees, they should all be "exceptional" on your current rating system without having to worry about some silly quota to fill.

Great place to work

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNice team spirit, mutual support and collaboration. Regular performance reviews. Opportunities to work multiple projects within company

Consdefense industry downsizing, frequent layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on ethics and becoming a great place to work

Overall, I had a great experience working for BAE Systems.

Human Resources Business Partner, Senior (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLarge company full of resources and opportunity.

ConsBecause of the size, sometimes it was difficult to see results from large projects that use a one size fits all approach.

Good engineering company in San Diego

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWork-life balance is great at this company.

ConsHave the deal with the government

Advice to Senior ManagementMore money to those who are more effective.

Engaging work environment gearing all employees for success

Technical Writing (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWork environment is friendly and business casual with personable employees and supervisors

ConsWork hours are from 6am-230pm creating an early start but allowing for an early end to the work day

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training programs for new hires would allow for quicker assimilation

Not a place to grow professionally

Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros* Work life balance is fine (as long as you are not working on competitive proposals)
    * People are nice
    * Medical and dental benefits are good

Cons* Not much, if any, grooming of future leaders. Most technical leaders are not willing or motivated or have time to mentor the younger generation.
    * Technologies used or applied is outdated or obsolete.
    * Hard work rarely rewarded or recognized

Worked for BAE Systems USA? Contribute to the Community!