BAE Systems USA

BAE Systems USA Reviews in York-Hanover, PA

Updated Jun 22, 2014

BAE Systems USA President & CEO Jerry DeMuro

Jerry DeMuro

Pros
  • The 9/80 work schedule which gives employees every other Friday off is a great benefit(in 41 reviews)

• Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was not directly engaged with lower levels(in 35 reviews)

• no middle management, upper management out of touch, short-sighted policies(in 20 reviews)

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mechanical Engineering Intern

Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) York, PA

ProsFlexible with hours. Interesting projects. Management was very reasonable.

ConsA lot of red tape because its a military contractor. Lots of meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less conservative about taking on multiple projects and setting deadlines.

Things were good until DoD budgets and program indecisions impacted business.

Transportation Manager (Former Employee) York, PA

ProsVery good work and personal time balance.

ConsSite I worked at was very political with few really trusted partners, especially as business began to decrease.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore other products to manufacture besides tanks.

A decent (but not great) place to work

Engineer (Current Employee) York, PA

ProsGreat employees who (for the most part) all enjoy working together and will help each other out.

ConsUpper management has poor communication with the employees. They let rumors spread and do nothing to confirm or deny them no matter how damaging the rumor is. In recent years upper management has taken away benefits such as holidays, pension, and vacation time. They have also severely limited the health coverage at the expense of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with the employees and stop letting rumors spread. Stop telling them that you do not understand why they are not happy when benefits are reduced or removed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BAE

Illustrator IV (Former Employee) York, PA

ProsIt was a pleasure to be employed at BAE. Work environment was safe and peaceful.

ConsAs hard as it seems to be there were no cons associated with this company. I would work there again without a doubt.

Philosophy versus results

Technical Writer (Former Employee) York, PA

ProsInteresting contracts and reliable data resources.
    Ergonomic office, well supplied software and hardware, solid backbone.

ConsUnfriendly and/or incapable personnel.
    Corporate philosophy overrides logic and proven method(s).
    North American division's vision substitutes profitability.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with attempts to diversify the engineering department and areas of leadership, placing those who are nominal and promoting individuals based upon their sex and conforming to a bad philosophy. It is counterproductive and is not profitable whatsoever. Do away with diversification and other parallel philosophies. Rely on multiple intelligences, character, and proven methods. Concentrate on the strengths of people and enable real team building not politics.

Great place to work

Logistics Analyst (Former Employee) York, PA

ProsManagement was very helpful in helping me understand business model.

ConsTime management of projects needs a little work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good salaries, solid benefits, cool products.

Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) York, PA

ProsGood work environment, cool products

ConsVery large company, easy to get lost in the mix.

Just a little fish

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) York, PA

ProsGood pay and benefits for the area.
    Protecting those who protect us is a noble job.
    A few great managers help dealing with the difficult a little bit easier.
    Real concern from Management on Ethics and Safety.

ConsReorganizations have not been well executed and many feel they have been lost in the shuffle.
    Lack of functional area support from the top down in Engineering.
    No clear strategy and direction for the future.
    Organizational processes are in disarray and a constant source of frustration for multiple levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the basics like the organizational processes and conduct a quick audit yourself of how different areas and projects implement the processes. Don't depend on the words of others but look for yourself. Appears to be confusion on interpretation of mandates and standard requirements.

Good solid company

Design Engineer (Former Employee) York, PA

ProsGood solid company. Great work environment and people. The defense industry is slow moving compared to the auto industry, for instance, but it's the same at General Dynamics and all the others. Lots of contractors fill the teams - some good, some bad - like anywhere else. I wasn't there long enough to comment on long-term viability but BAE at this location was hit with layoffs after I left... then again, so were many other defense companies.

ConsAt the time I was working there they had terribly slow, incredibly inefficient CAD (Pro/E) data storage/management networking. I don't say software because I've used Windchill at other companies, but the infrastructure and networking setup between BAE and their other Michigan location was dreadful. I'm talking 20 minutes to pull a relatively simple assembly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to let crappy contractors go and pat the good ones on the back.

Worked for BAE Systems USA? Contribute to the Community!