BAMSI

BAMSI Reviews

Updated Mar 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tremendous growth over the years led to many opportunities.

Director of Operations, Developmental Services (Former Employee) Brockton, MA

ProsExcellent colleagues. Big commitment to quality service.

ConsFast pace of growth caused gaps in infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter planning regarding growth.

Per diem-easy to pick up shifts online, although not many available.

Licensed Practical Nurse Per Diem (Current Employee) Brockton, MA

ProsEasy scheduling, many group homes in southeast mass

Consno raises, not many shifts available for per diem.

Top priority is to manipulate employees and never take responsibility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork with individuals with disabilities, barely earn a pay check,

ConsCompany's mission and company's actions are complete opposites. It is sad to know that this organization has a culture of negativity from the top down to the front line employee. Management spends more time dodging bullets than addressing a problem to find a solution. Executive Director threatens Managers daily, Managers threaten staff daily, co-workers bad mouth each other. Unhealthy work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. They do not listen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Company with an Important Mission Hampered by Poor Decisions

ProsThis is one of the first companies I have worked for that genuinely seeks to promote from within rather than conduct searches outside the company for management. There are a good number of people in middle management who have worked their way up from the ground floor. Current employees are given priority in interviewing and consideration for posted job. BAMSI practices what it preaches here.

There are many compassionate, dedicated and incredibly hard working people amongst the lower ranks at BAMSI.

Salaries are, mostly, in line with the rest of the companies in this industry.

ConsToo many of the hard working employees mentioned above leave for a variety of reasons, mostly traced back to upper management decisions and actions/inactions, and thus turnover rate is very high.

Too many employee awards are handed out to various company HQ employees rather than to the anonymous workers in the programs who are doing fantastic, but unseen by upper management, things every single day for low pay and under tough conditions.

Many, many short-sighted decsions are made to take away resources away from the program in attempts to save money in the short term while programs, and their reputations, suffer for it in the long run. This leads to an overall lack of resources that make it incredibly difficult to carry out the program's job and the company's mission.

The decisions made to slash program budgets and cut personnel are made in meetings behind closed doors and the managers of the affected programs are not allowed to attend or even give input to plead their cases against further cuts.

Upper management only gives lip service to the issue of employee morale. And one gets the sense it's only to cut down on how costly employee turnover is, not to genuinely deal with making employees feel valued and appreciated. It's left up to each program manager to try and do something nice for their staff and at their own expense (BAMSI stopped the practice of allowing petty cash to pay for morale builders like a program staff lunch once a month, etc).

Overall, in my time there I have seen the company's culture start to shift from that of a Human Services organization to more of a bottom line, numbers driven corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit the programs affected by your decisions on occasion. See how the decisions concerning budgetary matters are really and adversely affecting services to the population we serve and are crushing employee morale. In all the years I have been at a program, only once has an executive management person set foot inside and that was for a mandated, once every several years, review. And that person didn't speak to a single staff member other than the manager.

Get to know how difficult the jobs of your workers are. Get to know that they come in day after day after day and do some fantastic work with a difficult segment of society.

Get to know the disabled people we serve and all the amazing things the staff do for them. Get to know some of this and then ask yourself, when deciding to slash more resources from programs, if it is the wise, moral and right thing to do.

Not a place for Team Players

ProsThe clients are wonderful (mostly)

ConsOverbearing, micromanagement with no hands-on knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff - they know what they are dealing with.

Worked for BAMSI? Contribute to the Community!