BAO Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
James Higgins

Pros
  • Pretty amazing considering that this is still family owned and started in house then expanded to what it is today (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, everyone wants to succeed, and the individuals who work here are all driven to succeed, if you aren't, you'll stand out (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a super high turnover, and the cubicles around you are revolving doors (in 3 reviews)

• Company took regimented approach and lost its "mom and pop" flavor that made it a special place to work (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Place for Hard Working People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality Life Balance 40 hours a week, Good Process, Promotes from Within, BAO Academy and other training is impressive, Training and Development is well staffed, Great place for sales training, if you work hard and do well future opportunities will abound, You get 3 years of sales training in less than 1 year, Support staff is strong that allows you to concentrate on doing you job. Watched my co-workers get promoted who deserved it. Small company culture feel with larger company structure, support, and training.

Cons

No place to hide if you do not want to work, Thorough Interview Process that makes sure you are right for the job so you can't just bs your way into the company. You can't just skate through, Not a place for people who wants their hands held. Great diversity in age and experience in all departments

Advice to Management

Maintain financial stability, keep strong benefits, continue to develop the people who work hard and produce, ignore and terminate the whiners and complainers. They are not going to make it anyway and will never be happy

A boiler room that is toxic to one's sanity

I worked at BAO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The manager I had was likable, helpful and supportive of my efforts. Unfortunately, that person had to dance to upper management's beat which was a whole different story.

Cons

My comments are going to shadow many of the comments you read about BAO and it's no coincidence. To begin with, there is no room to be a self starter at BAO. The routine is extremely regimented and if you veer off course or try to think outside the box, you are chastised. Some of the top brass will walk the floor and literally scream at you at the top of their lungs if they see you out of your seat or without your headset on. Much of the material one gets to call on, is recycled trash that has already been cherry picked. That said, BAO does not have enough fresh material to go around and should consider a reduction in the number of sales reps. through attrition. This could happen in very quick order as there are an average of 2-3 people per week who are fired or who quit.

Advice to Management

Do NOT tell new employees to ignore the reviews on Glassdoor and other sites. One senior person from BAO misinformed my training class that only a few disgruntled employees and ex-employees have written such reviews. Given the fact that several dozen reviews have been written about BAO on this site, the majority of which are extremely negative, I would beg to differ. Hopefully, prospective employees will have a chance to see these reviews before they accept an offer. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky.

Toxic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BAO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to learn basic sales skills and be exposed to a wide variety of hi-tech clients' solutions and services.

Cons

Very toxic environment - bullying, unethical, high pressure that results in bad behavior at all levels. Have witnessed employees being berated, sworn at, yelled at. Don't ever think of saying anything bad about "the family". Quantity trumps quality which explains clients not sticking around for very long. They will just about hire anyone for the ISR position - Do you have a pulse? Have you ever used a computer? I am sure that actual professional sales people with a basic level of business acumen sit at their desks thinking, "where am I working?"

5. Great place to work - excellent, supportive environment

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO

Pros

Great work environment; caring management; opportunity; incentives; benefits; pay

Cons

It's sales so you need to daily keep your head in the game and your emotions in check.

sisr

Former Employee - SISR in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - SISR in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at BAO full-time

Pros

Learned lead generation skills nice coworkers

Cons

Oppressive mgmt micro mgmt abound

Advice to Management

None

Inside Sales Representative

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at BAO full-time

Pros

Most of the other ISRs are great to work with.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant and management doesn't even try to hide it. They try to tell you it doesn't matter who you are calling for but the reality is that your lists will make or break you. There are so many things out of your control yet you are held solely responsible for not performing to their expectations. You can ask for help over and over and never get it. I watched really great people with stellar sales backgrounds get belittled and micromanaged to death. It's really a horrible work environment. Unless you are one of the chosen few (and I want to emphasize FEW) all the stuff they tell you in training means absolutely nothing because you will never, ever get the lists you need to succeed. If you enjoy having every bit of your self confidence and self esteem destroyed, losing sleep over things completely out of your control, and having the constant threat of losing your job hanging over your head then this would be a perfect job for you!

Advice to Management

Make list distribution fair. Quit micromanaging. Quit threatening people with their jobs. Or just fire all the current management and hire managers from within. The best managers you have used to ISRs for BAO.

Inside Sales Rep

I worked at BAO full-time

Pros

Starting salary plus commission is decent. Frankly, the management are nice people, and helpful for the most part. The emphasis here is on the word most! Even the long term employees are nice and helpful. The focus is performance contribution to the team, and associated metrics.

Cons

The company over sells and misrepresents their ability to set appointments for high tech companies like IBM. The employees are given aliases to use on the phone instead of using their real names. Expectations of new employee performance are unrealistically high, and the reps are responsible for a ridiculous amount of administrative, followup tasks associated with setting the appointments. BAO is always hiring; basically having a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Be real and lower the task workload associated with setting appointments at least for the first six months.

Good people, not so good job.

I worked at BAO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really are some good people that work for this company. I was there for just under a year and I met some great people, made some friends. I can't say I feel like my sales skills improved that much...or not as much as some said they would. Schedule is great if you're coming from a sales background that asks for longs days. Looks good on a resume. SOME people here make very good money...but they are the minority.

Cons

There were a lot of cons for me. The biggest was the fact that they don't even try to hide the fact that you need to ask for good clients. Without naming company names, some people are trying to sell for HUGE names in the IT world...others are trying to sell for up and comers who no one has heard of. Supervisors will tell you that you need to be nice to, or even ask for one client from the people who dish out the work. Preferential treatment and brown-nosing are a part of life in almost any job...but I've never worked at a place where it's so prevalent and out in the open.

Advice to Management

I don't really know what I would say to management because, with the amount of ISR's there are, you can't pay close attention to every single one. That said, I do think a lot of great sales people get mowed down by the first few clients they're handed. The training time in the classroom was almost unnecessary to me. Maybe that's just how I learn, but I'd much rather spend time working with a trainer on how to do the actual job.

Manager

I worked at BAO full-time

Pros

Coworkers were fun to work with

Cons

Management is awful to work for

Advice to Management

Quit

11. An Experience Worth Having

I worked at BAO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great training and development program
    * Very well-organized and efficient as a company
    * Engaging corporate culture
    * A dynamic & fast-paced environment, so time flies at work
    * High tech clients and hot marketplace technology
    * Opportunities for personal growth

Cons

* Base compensation is extremely low for professionals with experience
    * Benefits were rather expensive because it's a private company
    * Revolving door turnover
    * Politics, Politics, Politics

Advice to Management

* Don't make promises you don't intend to keep
    * Be a part of the solution, not the problem
    * More individual strength-based activities would be a welcome change
    * Big picture transparency was appreciated to curb the rumor mill
    * Your subordinates will trust you if you don't destroy their trust

RSS Feed </> Embed