BAO Reviews

Updated July 27, 2014
Updated July 27, 2014

3.3

James Higgins

If you can take responsibility for yourself...work here. Otherwise, move along.

I have been working at BAO full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic and extremely supportive of one another. There are always opportunities to shine and advance if you put the work in and accept coaching. If you come in thinking you know it all and choose to blame management for your shortcomings in your BAO role, you're not going to last, and that is true whether you're in Client Services, an ISR, or in management....and also whether you've been here for a month, a year, or for ten.

This company will not give up on you if there is earnest effort and even the slightest chance of success; even those with poor attitudes have been held on to WAY past their shelf life because management tries hard to save them.

Every company has its weaknesses; BAO is no different. It's a smallish company that is steadily growing and there have been pains along the way associated with that growth. In that way, it's really no different than any other environment in similarly-sized companies. I've had my ups and downs in my own role and progression within the company, but I've invested in BAO because I feel that they have invested in ME.

There is a satisfaction in doing great work in a company this size because you get to SEE the impact of that work; that's not something that you find in a bigger company where you're lost in the shuffle and just an anonymous face in a crowd. You learn FAR more working for a company like this because you're constantly challenged and growing right along with them - IF you have the right attitude.

Cons

A 401K match would be great. It's unfortunate that we don't have it, but it's not uncommon in a company this size. Also, a more structured annual review process of performance and pay for non-revenue generating employees...they seem to be moving in this direction though as the company grows.

More proactive communication about the health of the company, strategic direction...sharing both good news and bad fosters trust and kills the rumor mill. I've seen this improve in the years I've been here though, so hopefully that trend will continue.

o.k company with good culture

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you need a job you can be hired

Cons

if you want a better paying job, start here first.
    ........................................................................................................................

Inside Sales

Current Employee - Tenured Inside Sales Representative  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Tenured Inside Sales Representative in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is growing, the outside sales staff, leaders, senior managers, support staff, relationship executives, Inside sales reps must be doing something right. Pretty amazing considering that this is still family owned and started in house then expanded to what it is today. Taking time to become good at messaging and doing your part to succeed is part of the process. Take care of your piers, your prospects, your partnered reps and show quality metrics with attention to detail and your willingness to evolve and listen to coaching will get you to where you want to be. BAO does care about their employees in a big way and it should not be one sided it is a give and take. Show that you want to evolve and take the steps to get there, good things will happen you can make the money that you want however you have to be willing and able to take care of all the moving parts and if you don't get to where you want to be right away then adjust how you approach your process. Training and support is good-but have to take some responsibility and ownership for your performance too.

Cons

I wish that we had matched 401k.

I wish we had more incentives and team building opportunities . Sometimes the same things are taught over and over again as there are a lot of new employees and the tenured staff have to go through the training again year after year. BAO should have some type of review process to develop staff-even the top ISR's should be cross trained and developed for bench strength. New mentor program has been put in place-so that is a plus. There is a lot of daily unstructured training that takes place daily as well and there needs to be some kind of tracking in place for that as well. The culture has changed a little bit and dipped down a little but sure it will even out soon. Managers and support staff do work hard daily-Thank you!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work if you try hard.

Current Employee - Market Research Specialist  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Market Research Specialist in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good hourly pay that goes up with tenure plus the ability to make high individual bonus and a team bonus. Great people and culture. No need to bring work home with you to do nights or weekends. Get to start fresh every day. Seem to balance promotion from within and outside talent.

Cons

No extra benefits or flexible PTO use. Very basic benefits like 401k and health insurance only. High turnover rate of employees due to high expectations for numbers but not much consideration for factors that contribute to the numbers outside of your control. Tenured workers are expected to train new people but also still get the same amount of work done.

If managers still want tenured employees to train new people, adjust the goals or hire additional training staff. Better workers would stay with better hourly pay and ability to bonus most months not just a few and if they saw room for growth, not just more of the same. Hire and reward those who work hard and not the favorites who barely work. Reward and recognize for good work on difficult projects because there is more to numbers than the highest.

Employer of Choice

Current Employee - Market Research Specialist  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Market Research Specialist in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent pay
    - Weekends and evenings off
    - Fantastic benefits
    - Monthly bonuses
    - Great people
    - Fun and exciting work environment
    - Contests to boost performance and reward top performers
    - Advancement Opportunities
    - Irreplaceable training and experience for career-minded individuals
    - Business is booming; Lots of work available.

Cons

The health benefits available are on the expensive side.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Heaven I Found Heaven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in an insides sales environment before, I haven't found a company like BAO Inc. As everyone knows Sales, are very similar to the weather in New England wait a minute it will change. Well the managers at BAO know that as well. As long as you are hungry and want to make a ton of money; the management team will work with you until you succeed. Through good and bad weather. Benefits are great. Environment is the best, friendly, high energy from everyone, supportive, nurturing and great snacks. Great training.

Cons

It is Sales so you have to be strong enough to take the good with the bad. Not a lot of bad but tons of good.

Keep up the good work.

Excellence at work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Breaks, HILARIOUS Co-workers.

Cons

There is ALWAYS yummy food :)

Besides that, I believe you that get what you put in. If employees or previous employees are not satisfied with BAO and are finding faults consider this: Did they try their best? Did they push their ABSOLUTE hardest to get what they want? At BAO you are given all the tools to become great and reach the stars. The question is, what did they do with those tools! It's easy to blame others around you for your failures.

My advice is ALREADY being put into effect within the company at this moment. No other comments!! Truthfully, this is a great company to work for !!!

Tough, demanding.....but so worth it. Remember, it's sales. Do it right and you'll reap the rewards.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Andover, MA

I have been working at BAO full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here CARE about you. Everyone from management down sees you as the individual that you are and has a deep respect for you. You aren't looked down upon if you have no previous sales experience, if anything the team embraces you and guides you on your way to success. The fact that it's still family owned and relatively small ensures that you know everyone in the office by name. I'm not going to lie, this job is very demanding mentally.
    Pay is really good as a starting off Inside Sales Rep, but you're given the potential to make the pay GREAT if you're good at what you do and do as your shown. (Yeah, 6 figures good)
    Benefits are amazing! So is the amount of time off you're given. Did I mention the work-life balance?
    I get out of work at 5 everyday and have the rest of the day to do as I please, and you leave your work at the door, there's no emails to follow up with at home or documents to type up on your time off.
    Having every weekend off doesn't hurt either.
    They cater food all the time (the good stuff).
    Finally, there's room to grow and progress. Countless times, I've seen people make it up the totem pole, and most of the big wigs here started off in the ISR role, as one of us.

Cons

If you're looking for call center job where you can dial mindlessly and call it a day, BAO isn't for you.
    In case you didn't know, sales is an up and down type of job.
    If you aren't willing to weather the storm, you don't belong here.
    If you feel as though the company (or the world) owes you something, you won't do well here.
    The front part of your head will hurt on most days when you leave here. (From working so hard)
    You will get angry, you will get upset. But that's life.

Give the sales reps what they need to succeed and you will see great results.

Good place to start a career in sales

I have been working at BAO

Pros

Great experience for someone right out of college. Learn a lot about hard work, big dials, and cold calling. Work with some great clients (IBM, EMC) and an overall great way to start a career in sales. Goal should be to get off to a quick start, learn as much as you can, and then move on after 1-2 years.

Cons

Very weak investment in technology for sales reps. Especially considering the company is built on selling into the high tech industry.

Mindless sweatshop with a pinch of cult.

Former Employee - Market Research Specialist  in  Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Market Research Specialist in Andover, MA

I worked at BAO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Learn to make business calls

Cons

Sweatshop management offers criticism but no useful advice. Company cheer...shut up and dial.

Management does not accept advice.

Worked for BAO? Contribute to the Community!