BASF Corporation

BASF Corporation Reviews in Florham Park, NJ

Updated Jul 15, 2014

BASF Corporation Chairman & CEO Hans Engel

Hans Engel

Pros
  • great work life balance, lots of responsibility at an early stage in career(in 22 reviews)

• Employee development, tuition reimbursement, relaxed environment, and other good benefits(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, expected to be available 24/7, work on vacations(in 10 reviews)

• Collaborative, strategic decision making can at times be confusing causing missed opportunities(in 7 reviews)

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Innovative, stable company with excellent total offer and focus on sustainability

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsStrong commitment to 'doing the right thing', especially when it comes to safety and sustainability; very good pay and benefits; ability to telework helps with work / ife balance; very committed to professional development and learning; long-term strategic focus and conservative approach make it a reliable, profitable company; increasing focus on employee health and wellness

ConsLarge, complex global organization sometimes leads to slow decision making; can be heirarchical at times

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more, talk less.

Pricing Analyst

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsCompetitive pay, telecommuting, strong benefits, 401 K matching

ConsNo work/life balance, expected to be available 24/7, work on vacations.

Great opportunities to grow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsAs long as you meet company halfway your opportunities to work within different areas and businesses can be yours. Mobility helps...alot..
    Stable company
    Growing company
    Safe company
    Pays well

ConsVery process orientated
    Matrix level org not for everyone
    Depending on group or manager always riding the line of being innovative vs. consistently conservative
    Not all groups live the proverbial "work/life" balance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe able to take a risk on developing people who are outside of the box in qualifications
    Stop taking everything soooo seriously.. we want to be safe, we want to be results orientated yes.. but encourage free thinking and creative expression

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start out

Product Manager (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsAn Industry leader with tons of resources, and an extremely smart / professional workforce. Very strong company values and strong management teams.

ConsBeing so large, lots of bureaucracy which can make it difficult to move up. A little bit old-fashioned / close-minded compared to equivalent US companies. Minimal life/work balance, although that seems to be changing. Either way, they demand a lot and employees seem constantly stressed, overloaded and overworked (more so than others considering that's the situation everywhere). Pay is probably at or slightly above industry average - if you get hired from outside. Pay increases for continuing employees was pretty low, even those with high merit scores.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering the unlimited resources and cash on hand, increase headcount to promote more work / life balance and lessen the load for individuals and certain business units.

Global Company

Contractor (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsGot to work on some challenging projects and interact with people at all levels of the company

ConsMy manager was only out for herself. She was not accessible for important decisions and delegated decision making to a subordinate who did not have the experience necessary for the position.

Good experience until BASF purchased company I worked for.

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsGood benefits, diverse work force.

ConsBusiness division has too many silos and bureaucracy to make effective decisions in a timely manner. Very inwardly focused and tend to lose sight of what the customer is looking for in a business partner. Organic growth in specialty chemicals is stifled as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove obstacles to the sales process. Become more nimble as a business. Understand customer needs better in the specialty chemical markets and properly match up your offerings.

Progressive meets Big Coporate

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsExcellent benefits, resources, opportunities, flexible work hours, excellent salary- great coworkers. Advocate work/life balance; great management; friendly coworkers; parking not an issue; no clock watchers (most of us work long hours both in and out of office anyway)

Consexpensive area to live in Florham Park NJ, dealing with big corporate,, long work hours, heavy travel - not many negatives to working for this company yet.

Advice to Senior Managementclarity, vision and concise steps to achieve success should be communicated effectively

Lots of responsibility even as a PDP summer intern.

Financial Controlling Intern (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsProject was heavily independent and gave me tons of room to work in my own creative ways. Management easily accessible.

ConsWork is a bit slow-paced.

Great place to learn

CCR (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

Prosbenefits, hours, telecommute, good management - good potential for growth

Consvery repetitive work, not a lot of room for growth

Great place for a "job", but not a great place for a "career"

(Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

Pros- Great benefits, especially 401k and tuition reimbursement.

- Flexible hours and good work/life balance

- Big company that is up-to-date on technology (SAP in particular)

Cons- Very limited growth potential due to company size.

- Surprisingly low pay, especially for a company this big, but that could have been the department I was working in and not representative of the company as a whole.

- Lots of politics and finger pointing. Not a trustworthy environment.

- Very old management style. Middle managers and managers do not care about employees as much as they should.

- Despite being a very large and profitable company, not very well known (or not as known as they should be).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet younger in the management side of things. Despite the company being ahead of curve with technology, the older managers are stuck in their ways, and not as open to new ideas as they should be.

Worked for BASF Corporation? Contribute to the Community!