BASF Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.5
BASF Corporation Chairman and CEO Wayne T. Smith
Wayne T. Smith

Pros
  • The work life balance is also really great (in 30 reviews)

• Good benefits, diverse work force (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work loads can be difficult to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Also, very hierarchical decision making processes which hinder success in markets where flexibility is required (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Benefits

Current Employee - Product Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BASF provides it's employees with benefits to a level I have not seen in other organizations. The 401k match is better than I have ever seen, vacation time is better than the national average, flexible work from home schedules are available in many positions and the general atmosphere among other employees is positive

Cons

It is a large company so it can take a long time to get some things done in the organization. Some positions require a lot of travel, so it can be difficult for people with families, but the job descriptions are usually accurate when it comes to specified travel.

Jul 17, 2015 – Manager, Talent Sourcing & Employment Branding

Thank you for your response. It is great to hear that you are aware of the fact that our Compelling Total Offer is very competitive! We do our best to ensure that our employees are able to balance ... More

2. Excellent Company to Work For

Former Employee - Staff Specialist in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff Specialist in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in corporate IT. The team is a very bright group of individuals, and everyone works together to get the job done. Management is very supportive of staff, and will have your back most of the time. Lots of opportunities to grow your knowledge and work with other teams on endless projects.

Cons

I didn't have anything bad to say about the company. Some people felt management was maybe a little scared of higher-ups, but I think it's just following direction.

Advice to Management

Keep developing and motivating your staff, continue to give them freedom and support on their projects and helping them achieve their career goals. They will in turn help you do the same.

Jul 27, 2015 – Manager, Talent Sourcing & Employment Branding

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that your experience was positive and you appreciated the team work and the support from the management, as well as opportunities to learn and grow!

3. Lab Tech

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at BASF Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good company to work with Safety being the prime focus

Cons

No growth in terms of job esp in the Union.

Advice to Management

Cut down on favoritism.

Unique Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very successful company overall. Great benefits. Salaries on the high end (probably 80th percentile in most cases). Bonuses good and unlimited with great performance.

Cons

It takes a long time to be considered a BASF employee. If you are from and acquired company, you wear a virtual tattoo with your previous company on your forehead. You'll hear comments like '... well, he's from (the acquired company) ..." as an explanation why that person doesn't need to be consulted or considered, and so you know it is happening to you behind your back. If you hire in from the outside you avoid this, but getting aligned with the culture is critical to your success. Entry level jobs have very narrow scopes. Stay in your lane and try to be the best in that narrow scope and maybe you'll be noticed. Only long-time BASF employees opinions are considered, and they are given freedom to make decisions. Once a decision is made, get with the program, don't complain or suggest a better way. Having said all that, for the 'right' people, this environment can be very supportive and rewarding.

Advice to Management

Read "The Emperor's New Clothes" and learn from it.

College hire

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good entry pay, 401k match, bonuses - Not much politics - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Rarely challenged - Stagnant innovation - Too much outsourcing

Advice to Management

Enable your young hires to be more self starting, but don't set them up for failure or wasted time.

What Work/Life Balance?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

Pros

Good Salaries and good benefits, stable company.

Cons

"Stepford Wife' management style; tendency to hire 'like" employees, little diversity in thought, look, or life experience. Unreasonable expectations given the so-called commitment to work/life balance. There is no balance. Long hours are the norm at most levels. Little trust of management or the processes in place to make change or voice concern

Advice to Management

Consider schools besides Penn State when recruiting to diversify your new hire choices. Open up to new perspectives and stop pretending to embrace work/life balance when you clearly don't.

Jun 11, 2015 – Manager, Talent Sourcing & Employment Branding

Thanks for your post. BASF is proud to recruit from 25 core Universities including 2 HBCUs and other diverse Schools. We value diversity very highly and consistently receive recognitions for being a ... More

8. Solid Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financially sound company, with good benefits

Cons

Large, internally focused organization, difficult to change direction

Advice to Management

Truly empower your employees, where they are encouraged to take risks

Run away from this company.....faster !!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company name is known

Cons

Everything else is a disaster

Advice to Management

figure it out

An overall OK company to work for.

Former Employee - Compliance Specialist in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Compliance Specialist in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time

Pros

Good salaries and benefits. Working on work life balance although not completely there for all.

Cons

They do not hold poor managers accountable for lack of management and employee development. HR backs theses managers even when wrong.

Systems Analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BASF is a great company to work for. The work family balance has improved significantly over the years. Also working with such exceptional colleagues, makes the experience even more enjoyable. I hope to have many more years contributing to the success of BASF.

Cons

A few departments (certainly not all) have a difficult 'team' environment. Making it a more competitive environment than things should be, esp. within a team. True entrepreneurial and collaborative behavior includes absolute teamwork, support, flexibility and work integrity, in my opinion. Statements like "that is not your job" or "make sure you cover yourself", shouldn't ever need to be heard.

Advice to Management

I read a great quote once... "People do not leave companies, they leave managers." Such a shame with a company as great as BASF.

RSS Feed </> Embed