BASF Corporation

BASF Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

BASF Corporation Chairman & CEO Hans Engel

Hans Engel

Pros
  • great work life balance, lots of responsibility at an early stage in career(in 22 reviews)

• Employee development, tuition reimbursement, relaxed environment, and other good benefits(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, expected to be available 24/7, work on vacations(in 10 reviews)

• Collaborative, strategic decision making can at times be confusing causing missed opportunities(in 7 reviews)

Innovative, stable company with excellent total offer and focus on sustainability

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsStrong commitment to 'doing the right thing', especially when it comes to safety and sustainability; very good pay and benefits; ability to telework helps with work / ife balance; very committed to professional development and learning; long-term strategic focus and conservative approach make it a reliable, profitable company; increasing focus on employee health and wellness

ConsLarge, complex global organization sometimes leads to slow decision making; can be heirarchical at times

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more, talk less.

Relaxed environment with opportunities for employee development

ProsEmployee development, tuition reimbursement, relaxed environment, and other good benefits

ConsIt is so big that sometimes it feels like you are forgotten

Great Company

Lab Technician (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat benefit package. This company really treats you well when it comes to money, they pay it out

Consthey closed the company and were very quick to lay people off they didnt care about the people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BASF is a great place to work

Quality Manager (Current Employee) Freeport, TX

ProsBASF is stable and reputable. The company is vitally concerned about the safety of their workers and the impact they have on the local communities around their plants. The pay and benefits are good.

ConsThe company is so huge that initiatives are sometimes created without any follow through or accountability for their implementation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more contact with folks two levels down from you.

Pricing Analyst

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsCompetitive pay, telecommuting, strong benefits, 401 K matching

ConsNo work/life balance, expected to be available 24/7, work on vacations.

Good company overall. It will be around for a long time. Very big office and factory.

Process Specialist (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsLots of job options. Very big company. Good enviroment, it has a nice lake beside the office building.

ConsThey usually recruiting experienced people. Interns may not have opportunity to stay.

Worked for them for over 20 years, good company to work for in the past, but company is changing a great deal now.

Technical Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsValue technology and people that know how to sell, develop, and market it. Pushes safety and quality

ConsToo many internal fights between divisions...Not an easy company for customer to work with... No longer value experience in some divisions. May of bought too many companies at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what's best for BASF overall and not just your SBU. Need to hire within first before going to the outside.

Great opportunities to grow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsAs long as you meet company halfway your opportunities to work within different areas and businesses can be yours. Mobility helps...alot..
    Stable company
    Growing company
    Safe company
    Pays well

ConsVery process orientated
    Matrix level org not for everyone
    Depending on group or manager always riding the line of being innovative vs. consistently conservative
    Not all groups live the proverbial "work/life" balance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe able to take a risk on developing people who are outside of the box in qualifications
    Stop taking everything soooo seriously.. we want to be safe, we want to be results orientated yes.. but encourage free thinking and creative expression

It was a very good experience but over time the company cares more about the company and less about the employee.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBASF is a strong company with a very good global management team in place. The company will be around for a very long time.

ConsBASF tries to hit a home run with a solo product and not with a product line. They claim they have solutions for a customer but instead jam a product into a territory. The agriculture group only cares about the midwest and nothing about the south. The southern territories are too large and the sales figures do not match the crop mix /BASF portfolio. Competitors with similar portfolios do a much better job. Compensation is below others doing similar business. Moral is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake up of all levels of management. Reorganize the Ag group and be focused on different areas of the country and take care of your people,. Develop a southern strategy along with the western and mid-western strategies. Smaller territories, higher compensation and start working with regional companies.

Great place to start out

Product Manager (Former Employee) Florham Park, NJ

ProsAn Industry leader with tons of resources, and an extremely smart / professional workforce. Very strong company values and strong management teams.

ConsBeing so large, lots of bureaucracy which can make it difficult to move up. A little bit old-fashioned / close-minded compared to equivalent US companies. Minimal life/work balance, although that seems to be changing. Either way, they demand a lot and employees seem constantly stressed, overloaded and overworked (more so than others considering that's the situation everywhere). Pay is probably at or slightly above industry average - if you get hired from outside. Pay increases for continuing employees was pretty low, even those with high merit scores.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering the unlimited resources and cash on hand, increase headcount to promote more work / life balance and lessen the load for individuals and certain business units.

Worked for BASF Corporation? Contribute to the Community!