BASF Corporation Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.9

BASF Corporation Chairman & CEO Hans Engel
Hans Engel

Pros
  • great work life balance, lots of responsibility at an early stage in career (in 22 reviews)

• Employee development, tuition reimbursement, relaxed environment, and other good benefits (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, expected to be available 24/7, work on vacations (in 10 reviews)

• Collaborative, strategic decision making can at times be confusing causing missed opportunities (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Relaxed environment with opportunities for employee development

I have been working at BASF Corporation

Pros

Cons

It is so big that sometimes it feels like you are forgotten

Small time player in Ag Biotech market

Former Employee - Senior Scientist  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

International corporation with excellent benefits. Potential international travel if you have high enough position.

Cons

Total lack of executive diversity. Three reorgs in three years resulted in 14 executive positions staffed with 11 white, male Germans plus one white, male Canadian. Of the other two, one was white, female German. And this was at the new North American HQ for the Ag Biotech division. If you have dreams of advancing, don't spend them here.

Get a clue when so many persons leave for competitors. Stop rewarding people by how many hurdles they put on advancing research projects in the name of corporate stewardship. Start breaking up the non-diverse executive logjam and think beyond 2015.

Disappointed

Former Employee - Account Representative  in  San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Account Representative in San Juan, PR

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, some good corp. managers. Great Products.

Cons

Must be a yes man to get ahead. Some managers just don't qualify for their position.

I was let go 45 days short of 30 years. (my goal) one week after I was denied short term leave for cancer treatment. Cheated out of my legal severance pay. I was most productive in my group. My only fault was getting sick towards the end. I always made my boss look good.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Former Employee - Lab Technician  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Cleveland, OH

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefit package. This company really treats you well when it comes to money, they pay it out

Cons

they closed the company and were very quick to lay people off they didnt care about the people

BASF is a great place to work

Current Employee - Quality Manager  in  Freeport, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Freeport, TX

I have been working at BASF Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BASF is stable and reputable. The company is vitally concerned about the safety of their workers and the impact they have on the local communities around their plants. The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

The company is so huge that initiatives are sometimes created without any follow through or accountability for their implementation.

Make more contact with folks two levels down from you.

Pricing Analyst

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst  in  Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive pay, telecommuting, strong benefits, 401 K matching

Cons

No work/life balance, expected to be available 24/7, work on vacations.

Good company overall. It will be around for a long time. Very big office and factory.

Current Employee - Process Specialist  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Process Specialist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at BASF Corporation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lots of job options. Very big company. Good enviroment, it has a nice lake beside the office building.

Cons

They usually recruiting experienced people. Interns may not have opportunity to stay.

Worked for them for over 20 years, good company to work for in the past, but company is changing a great deal now.

Former Employee - Technical Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Value technology and people that know how to sell, develop, and market it. Pushes safety and quality

Cons

Too many internal fights between divisions...Not an easy company for customer to work with... No longer value experience in some divisions. May of bought too many companies at the same time.

Focus on what's best for BASF overall and not just your SBU. Need to hire within first before going to the outside.

Great opportunities to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at BASF Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

As long as you meet company halfway your opportunities to work within different areas and businesses can be yours. Mobility helps...alot..
    Stable company
    Growing company
    Safe company
    Pays well

Cons

Very process orientated
    Matrix level org not for everyone
    Depending on group or manager always riding the line of being innovative vs. consistently conservative
    Not all groups live the proverbial "work/life" balance

Be able to take a risk on developing people who are outside of the box in qualifications
    Stop taking everything soooo seriously.. we want to be safe, we want to be results orientated yes.. but encourage free thinking and creative expression

It was a very good experience but over time the company cares more about the company and less about the employee.

I worked at BASF Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BASF is a strong company with a very good global management team in place. The company will be around for a very long time.

Cons

BASF tries to hit a home run with a solo product and not with a product line. They claim they have solutions for a customer but instead jam a product into a territory. The agriculture group only cares about the midwest and nothing about the south. The southern territories are too large and the sales figures do not match the crop mix /BASF portfolio. Competitors with similar portfolios do a much better job. Compensation is below others doing similar business. Moral is very low.

Shake up of all levels of management. Reorganize the Ag group and be focused on different areas of the country and take care of your people,. Develop a southern strategy along with the western and mid-western strategies. Smaller territories, higher compensation and start working with regional companies.

Worked for BASF Corporation? Contribute to the Community!