BASF Group

Updated December 13, 2014
3.3

BASF Group Chairman Kurt W. Bock
Kurt W. Bock

Pros
  • Great work-life balance - manageable amount of work, generous vacation days (in 6 reviews)

• Ciba provided a work environment that respected individual employees (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow in decision making, better to learn German (in 5 reviews)

• In my experience I did not get help from the german colleagues that have always been quite unpleasant (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Accounting Intern

I worked at BASF Group

Pros

Regular hours and small chance for Over time

Cons

The firm is too big and it is hard to know everyone

My experience was good. They brought in companies that offered great training.

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

The company offers great incentives.

Cons

The hours worked are ver long.

Absolutely No Work/Life Balance...Potentially Dangerous Conditions

Former Employee - MBC Rover in Attapulgus, GA
    Former Employee - MBC Rover in Attapulgus, GA

I worked at BASF Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are very good.

Cons

There was absolutely no work/life balance for operators. Many people worked 7-13 twelve hours shifts consecutively (to include rotating shifts) as a normal schedule, followed by 2 days off, but it was more than likely that you would be called in on a off day to cover another person's shift. If by the grace of God I was given an 8 hour shift, 3p-11p for example, it would always be followed up with a 7a-7p shift. It was impossible for to have a life, get adequate rest, spend time with my family, or do anything at all besides eat, shower, and sleep for work. There were positions that were designed to be worked by two people that were filled by one person which not only resulted in people being overworked, but increased chances for accidents, and people being hurt. It became apparent very quickly that the upper management was only concerned with receiving an annual bonus which could exceeded 4Xs the yearly salary of an operator. There were harmful chemicals being breathed in daily without adequate measures being taken, or protective gear provided to prevent health problems, and just very little regard for employees in general. I don't think the pay will be enough to maintain any new employees beyond the time it takes to see what the job consists of, and how the place is ran. Only those that have been employed there for decades with no other options will ever stay at that plant. When those men begin to retire, they will certainly have to make some changes. There were enough employees to institute better working hours, but for some reason it was being run in a manner that I can only describe as barbaric and uncaring. Perhaps 24/7 operation is not in the company's best interest if it can't be done in the correct way. In my opinion the minorities are treated with very little, if any respect as well. Unless working in some corporate position, I would not recommend this company to anyone. As for a position in operations with this company I can guarantee that you will be miserable, and the pay won't make up for it.

Make work/life balance a priority at this facility. Value the employees in operations enough to care whether their children know them. Make safety a priority if you don't want to be the subject of those litigation commercials when your employee's health issues are finally traced back to these conditions.

Many promises that were never fulfilled

I worked at BASF Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is really big and you have the chance to travel a lot if you are lucky otherwise you can ask to move to a new location easily. There are many benefits and work-freetime balance is good.

Cons

It is so big that sometimes you feel lost. In my experience I did not get help from the german colleagues that have always been quite unpleasant. There is almost no program of employee development. Headquarters only care of revenues but

Most of the employees don't even know what BASF produces, this is because the internet website is really bad and corporate communication is lousy. It's a real pity, so many employees could be a perfect means of external publicity and corporate culture would also benefit. In my experience I felt the GT too distant, if engineers of other plants could have access to online tools and data, surely costs and time of designing could be decreased with an overall benefit for the company.

Great so far, I will start interning with them this summer.

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

Very friendly and great network

Cons

Salary is average but not bad

Summer internship

I worked at BASF Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance - manageable amount of work, generous vacation days
    Lots of perks for interns - accommodation in the BASF Guesthouse, weekly intern lunches and Stammtisch, one-on-one German tutoring for international interns, etc...

Cons

Stipend a bit low considering cost-of-living

Not the right place to begin a scientific career

Former Employee - Associate Chemist in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Chemist in Durham, NC

I worked at BASF Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The benefits are quite good - insurance, 401k matching, tuition reimbursement for grad school; better than most I've seen
    - A lot of resources, which comes with a big company. If you need to purchase something large or small to do your job better, it is no problem to get it.
    - Opportunities for international travel to Germany

Cons

- The culture, at least in my group, was not conducive to productivity. A lot of competition/secrecy where collaboration SHOULD have been easy.
    - No mid-level scientist positions. Either you have a PhD and are a manager, or have any other background and are a "technician" (not kidding, that's what the casual term is)
    - Managers seem to have little to no training on managing people, and they get away with a lot of shady/unprofessional behaviors. No one is willing to speak up due to fear of retaliation
    - Junior lever scientists (technicians) sit in the lab all day, that's where their desks are. This to me is an exposure risk, and also doesn't provide much possibility to have coffee/water/snacks throughout the day. This may sound trivial, but I ended up chronically dehydrated.
    - Performance evaluation is 100% subjective. It is only based on the opinion of your manager and his peers. They make you fill out goals and development plans but when it comes to the calibration meetings, it is just people throwing out their opinions that determines your rating.

- Implement 360 performance reviews
    - More mid-level opportunities on the technical track
    - Be sure you are putting people in management positions who actually have management skills, not just technical expertise

A bit depressing

I worked at BASF Group

Pros

People are friendly. Like we've all survived a war together.

Cons

A lot of downsizing so most employees are older and new employees hired in at flat rate of $16/hr. Empty, big building

Company with European management

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Ambler, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Ambler, PA

I worked at BASF Group

Pros

People you work with really care for your opinion, they let you branch out into your own ideas

Cons

Worked at a small branch so there wasnt many people to interact with.

none

The sun sets on Ciba Corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

Ciba provided a work environment that respected individual employees. Overall compenstation plus benefits was good.

You have to look at the BASF corporation now to determine what the work environment will become; at least though the business will be viable or more viable then under Ciba.

Cons

After 5 years fighting weak sales growth and margin errosion, the Ciba Corporation finally sucumbed during the economic crisis in 2008. A very weak senior management team was not able to influence the direction. The company was purchased by BASF in Q1/2009 and is in the process of being assimilated into this much larger corporation with a new and different corporate culture.

The BASF team has cleaned out most all of the senior management. This was a very necessary step to help the business move forward and implement a new culture.