BASF Group Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.4

BASF Group CFO and Director; CEO, US Operations Kurt W. Bock
Kurt W. Bock

Pros
  • Professional growth, good working environment (in 8 reviews)

• Great work-life balance - manageable amount of work, generous vacation days (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow in decision making, better to learn German (in 5 reviews)

• Very structured and strongly centrally governed (German Headquarters) (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great so far, I will start interning with them this summer.

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

Very friendly and great network

Cons

Salary is average but not bad

Summer internship

I worked at BASF Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance - manageable amount of work, generous vacation days
    Lots of perks for interns - accommodation in the BASF Guesthouse, weekly intern lunches and Stammtisch, one-on-one German tutoring for international interns, etc...

Cons

Stipend a bit low considering cost-of-living

Not the right place to begin a scientific career

Former Employee - Associate Chemist  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Chemist in Durham, NC

I worked at BASF Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The benefits are quite good - insurance, 401k matching, tuition reimbursement for grad school; better than most I've seen
    - A lot of resources, which comes with a big company. If you need to purchase something large or small to do your job better, it is no problem to get it.
    - Opportunities for international travel to Germany

Cons

- The culture, at least in my group, was not conducive to productivity. A lot of competition/secrecy where collaboration SHOULD have been easy.
    - No mid-level scientist positions. Either you have a PhD and are a manager, or have any other background and are a "technician" (not kidding, that's what the casual term is)
    - Managers seem to have little to no training on managing people, and they get away with a lot of shady/unprofessional behaviors. No one is willing to speak up due to fear of retaliation
    - Junior lever scientists (technicians) sit in the lab all day, that's where their desks are. This to me is an exposure risk, and also doesn't provide much possibility to have coffee/water/snacks throughout the day. This may sound trivial, but I ended up chronically dehydrated.
    - Performance evaluation is 100% subjective. It is only based on the opinion of your manager and his peers. They make you fill out goals and development plans but when it comes to the calibration meetings, it is just people throwing out their opinions that determines your rating.

- Implement 360 performance reviews
    - More mid-level opportunities on the technical track
    - Be sure you are putting people in management positions who actually have management skills, not just technical expertise

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bit depressing

I worked at BASF Group

Pros

People are friendly. Like we've all survived a war together.

Cons

A lot of downsizing so most employees are older and new employees hired in at flat rate of $16/hr. Empty, big building

Company with European management

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant  in  Ambler, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Ambler, PA

I worked at BASF Group

Pros

People you work with really care for your opinion, they let you branch out into your own ideas

Cons

Worked at a small branch so there wasnt many people to interact with.

none

The sun sets on Ciba Corporation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

Ciba provided a work environment that respected individual employees. Overall compenstation plus benefits was good.

You have to look at the BASF corporation now to determine what the work environment will become; at least though the business will be viable or more viable then under Ciba.

Cons

After 5 years fighting weak sales growth and margin errosion, the Ciba Corporation finally sucumbed during the economic crisis in 2008. A very weak senior management team was not able to influence the direction. The company was purchased by BASF in Q1/2009 and is in the process of being assimilated into this much larger corporation with a new and different corporate culture.

The BASF team has cleaned out most all of the senior management. This was a very necessary step to help the business move forward and implement a new culture.

Ciba was a great compnay to work for.

Current Employee - Compensation Manager  in  Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Compensation Manager in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

The work life balance has been great for me.

Cons

It is being taken over by BASF.

The current senior management is very weak.

BASF Coatings

Current Employee - GM NA Account Manager  in  Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - GM NA Account Manager in Southfield, MI

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

Salary, opportunity, and the chance to work with the finest and most qualified individuals in the industry. Getting to see how all of our customers help us to make better products and enable us to provide better services.

Cons

No downsides to report on BASF

None

Stay Away

Former Employee - R&D Scientist  in  Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - R&D Scientist in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at BASF Group

Pros

4 weeks vacation for those with PhD from day 1. Decently competent professionals.

Cons

The company on a downward spiral due to incompetent and arrogant management. Micromanagement from headquarters and reporting is downright ridiculous.

Retire and let better people take over. Stop cronyism to flourish.

Open to making the lives for employees better. Introduced Flex time.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at BASF Group

Pros

Largest chemical company in the world, with the most reach in the market place. Proud to work for a strong company that is into everything and well recognized. BASF is a good company compared to many others to want to work for. Benifits are very good and the management is very smart at the highest levels. Middle management at the Director level needs improvement since there are some individuals that should not be there, most note is in Detroit Automotive. Managers at the field level are excellent. Working for BASF is really an honor since they do care and want the best for employees if they can do it.

Cons

Eurpoean company, favor towards Germans and others over USA employees for advancement or jobs over seas.

Be more proactive in reaching our towards employees, those in the field need to be heard and seen more than those in corporate offices working.

Worked for BASF Group? Contribute to the Community!