BASF Group

BASF Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

BASF Group CFO and Director; CEO, US Operations Kurt W. Bock

Kurt W. Bock

Pros
  • Professional growth, good working environment(in 8 reviews)

• Great work-life balance - manageable amount of work, generous vacation days(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow in decision making, better to learn German(in 5 reviews)

• Very structured and strongly centrally governed (German Headquarters)(in 9 reviews)

Great so far, I will start interning with them this summer.

ProsVery friendly and great network

ConsSalary is average but not bad

Summer internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance - manageable amount of work, generous vacation days
    Lots of perks for interns - accommodation in the BASF Guesthouse, weekly intern lunches and Stammtisch, one-on-one German tutoring for international interns, etc...

ConsStipend a bit low considering cost-of-living

Not the right place to begin a scientific career

Associate Chemist (Former Employee) Durham, NC

Pros- The benefits are quite good - insurance, 401k matching, tuition reimbursement for grad school; better than most I've seen
    - A lot of resources, which comes with a big company. If you need to purchase something large or small to do your job better, it is no problem to get it.
    - Opportunities for international travel to Germany

Cons- The culture, at least in my group, was not conducive to productivity. A lot of competition/secrecy where collaboration SHOULD have been easy.
    - No mid-level scientist positions. Either you have a PhD and are a manager, or have any other background and are a "technician" (not kidding, that's what the casual term is)
    - Managers seem to have little to no training on managing people, and they get away with a lot of shady/unprofessional behaviors. No one is willing to speak up due to fear of retaliation
    - Junior lever scientists (technicians) sit in the lab all day, that's where their desks are. This to me is an exposure risk, and also doesn't provide much possibility to have coffee/water/snacks throughout the day. This may sound trivial, but I ended up chronically dehydrated.
    - Performance evaluation is 100% subjective. It is only based on the opinion of your manager and his peers. They make you fill out goals and development plans but when it comes to the calibration meetings, it is just people throwing out their opinions that determines your rating.

Advice to Senior Management- Implement 360 performance reviews
    - More mid-level opportunities on the technical track
    - Be sure you are putting people in management positions who actually have management skills, not just technical expertise

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bit depressing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are friendly. Like we've all survived a war together.

ConsA lot of downsizing so most employees are older and new employees hired in at flat rate of $16/hr. Empty, big building

Company with European management

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) Ambler, PA

ProsPeople you work with really care for your opinion, they let you branch out into your own ideas

ConsWorked at a small branch so there wasnt many people to interact with.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

The sun sets on Ciba Corporation

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tarrytown, NY

ProsCiba provided a work environment that respected individual employees. Overall compenstation plus benefits was good.

You have to look at the BASF corporation now to determine what the work environment will become; at least though the business will be viable or more viable then under Ciba.

ConsAfter 5 years fighting weak sales growth and margin errosion, the Ciba Corporation finally sucumbed during the economic crisis in 2008. A very weak senior management team was not able to influence the direction. The company was purchased by BASF in Q1/2009 and is in the process of being assimilated into this much larger corporation with a new and different corporate culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe BASF team has cleaned out most all of the senior management. This was a very necessary step to help the business move forward and implement a new culture.

Ciba was a great compnay to work for.

Compensation Manager (Current Employee) Tarrytown, NY

ProsThe work life balance has been great for me.

ConsIt is being taken over by BASF.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current senior management is very weak.

BASF Coatings

GM NA Account Manager (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsSalary, opportunity, and the chance to work with the finest and most qualified individuals in the industry. Getting to see how all of our customers help us to make better products and enable us to provide better services.

ConsNo downsides to report on BASF

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Stay Away

R&D Scientist (Former Employee) Tarrytown, NY

Pros4 weeks vacation for those with PhD from day 1. Decently competent professionals.

ConsThe company on a downward spiral due to incompetent and arrogant management. Micromanagement from headquarters and reporting is downright ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire and let better people take over. Stop cronyism to flourish.

Open to making the lives for employees better. Introduced Flex time.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Morristown, NJ

ProsLargest chemical company in the world, with the most reach in the market place. Proud to work for a strong company that is into everything and well recognized. BASF is a good company compared to many others to want to work for. Benifits are very good and the management is very smart at the highest levels. Middle management at the Director level needs improvement since there are some individuals that should not be there, most note is in Detroit Automotive. Managers at the field level are excellent. Working for BASF is really an honor since they do care and want the best for employees if they can do it.

ConsEurpoean company, favor towards Germans and others over USA employees for advancement or jobs over seas.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive in reaching our towards employees, those in the field need to be heard and seen more than those in corporate offices working.

Worked for BASF Group? Contribute to the Community!