BASIS.ed Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
CEO

Freedom comes at a price

Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teachers have a lot of freedom in the classroom. We do get bonuses from parent donated funds which sort of helps balance out the low salary. I started off at 31K and now in my fourth year I am making 35K. The bonuses are taxes at an extremely high rate so I think I would rather take higher pay overall. The student population is fabulous and the parents are involved.

Cons

Management does not have their act together. The school grew too fast and management doesn't know how to deal with it. A great deal of top down trainings are completely meaningless and a waste of time. The websites that are designed by Basis.ed are awful. They expect you to do five hours of work even though most of the time is just trying to figure out how their website works or waiting for pages to load. This kind of tedium drives teachers nuts.

Advice to Management

Paid sick days would be wonderful. Better base salary would help with teacher retention. Stop promoting incompetent and inexperienced people to management.

2. A great idea implemented horribly

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time

Pros

The students and teachers are amazing! My peers are some of the finest professionals I have ever worked with. They are talented, passionate, and one hundred percent committed to the students. The students are also amazing and impress me every day with their hard work and commitment to being BASIS scholars!

Cons

The administration is horrible. Lines of communication are non-existent and even minor issues turn into major ones due to incompetence and unprofessional behavior.

Advice to Management

You need to train your administrators how to deal with teachers as the talented and committed professionals that they are. Happy teachers will have happy students! You should be committed to supporting and encouraging us; not working against us by tearing us down and stabbing us in the back.

3. Do not give notice of resignation. They fired me in response.

Former Employee - Teacher

Pros

Do not work here. Horrible.

Cons

I submitted a notice of resignation to my head of school. I was then fired that day.

Advice to Management

Firing people for giving notice is going to come back on you, because people will no longer give notice.

Chemistry Teacher

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time

Pros

Students are great! Curriculum is awesome!

Cons

Ran like a business. Pay is low.

A very frustrating place to work

Pros

Incredible students and parents. I loved building relationships with them and seeing the students grow. The parents were very supportive. The other teachers are among some of the best people I've ever worked with. I enjoyed the freedom to develop the curriculum to fit the unique needs of my students and my teaching style.

Cons

Upper management needs to go. Favoritism and lack of transparency are rampant and often made things 10 times harder than necessary. The pay is incredibly low considering you likely have a Masters or PhD, and although the salary was no secret, the extra duties certainly were. I have several friends who teach in public schools and they were shocked at how much we do at BASIS for the pay. At the end of the day, it's a business and its run like one. The method works...kids come out super prepared for college, but the school does not take care of its teachers. The parents do a much better job of that.

Advice to Management

I know it's not a democracy, but at least listen to the talented team you claim you've hired. Stop making knee-jerk reactions that make no sense and take time to explain the ginormous overnight changes you make that significantly impact the teachers.

Toxic working environment

Former Employee - Arizona in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Arizona in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at BASIS.ed full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The school is located in a beautiful place.

Cons

My experience was that the school was the opposite of what they claimed to be. The quality of students was very disappointing and administration was absolutely terrible. The design of the school building is problematic and has a lot of serious issues.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the administrators and conduct a survey on faculty and staff's happiness and satisfactory.

It all depends on the people

Current Employee - Science Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students are enthusiastic, energetic, and really want to learn everything you have to offer them. If your co-workers are easy to work with and willing to jump in and be a part of the team, then the BASIS system works really well. You do not have to have a teaching certification, but you do need to show expertise in the field in which you teach--graduate degrees, work experience, mentoring/tutoring etc. There are opportunities for teacher bonuses based on performance at the end of each year. You are given a lot of autonomy with your classroom. After receiving the "barebones" curriculum, you get to decide how you want to teach it and what tools you want to use. The insurance/benefits are all pretty great.

Cons

It is a pay-cut from the public school system and information is not always transparent. If you ask about how things work (pay, bonuses, admin-related tasks), you will receive the answer, but it is not always clearly stated from the beginning.

9. Overall a great place to work.

Current Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New York in New York, NY

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time

Pros

Fast paced, elite, great work environment

Cons

Sometimes unorganized leadership, administration, etc.

10. Lots of major pros, a few big cons

Current Employee - Latin Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Latin Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BASIS.ed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

School culture on the kids/academic side is great, colleagues are excellent, fun place to work, kids are good, high standards, smart ideas are listened to and not ignored.

Cons

Lots of extra paperwork-like duties, corporate culture in a school, constantly asking families for money, not as much autonomy as I would like

Advice to Management

There's a fundamental conflict between giving teachers freedom and having them all teach the same bare bones and take the same test. That's a major issue that BASIS still needs to figure out.

Betrayed

Former Employee - Teacher

Pros

I enjoyed my job for the most part. The issue wasn't with my responsibilities, students, or co-workers. Issue is with Upper Admin

Cons

I agree with previous poster... Autonomy is really lack of support from admin. You are on your own to sink or swim. No professional development, no teacher mentorship. If you ask for support in the classroom the tell you to go read Teach Like a Champion. The support and community I was promised is very different from the reality working at Basis. I also have evidence that upper admin tampers with grades.... Someone changed my grades on PowerSchool without my permission. I was later asked to change my grade book to reflect PowerSchool grades I did not give. Feel betrayed :(

Advice to Management

I honestly hope all of them leave education.... Our children deserve better!

RSS Feed </> Embed