BAYADA Home Health Care

Updated October 16, 2014
3.2

BAYADA Home Health Care President J Mark Baiada
J Mark Baiada

Pros
  • Some of the field staff are some of the hardest working people I have worked with (in 13 reviews)

• Great coworkers with high morale, awesome patients, company prides itself in compassion, excellence and reliability (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to nothing for the field staff, who actually care for the patients (in 22 reviews)

• Didn't treat nurses respectfully unless nurses were a favorite to the office staff (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Able to get more then 40 hours per week if flexible and the most "employee" friendly, and highest quality vs competitors

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Reading, PA

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Viable alternative if for those wishing to get away from facility work.
    -Interesting high acuity cases available in Pediatrics, lots to learn if you prefer a challenge. Great way to break into peds if you are looking to get into a peds facility or hospital.
    -Opportunity to really make a difference in a patient's life. Big shortage of trained specialized peds nurses at present. Almost never enough nurses to go around. The families really rely on you and are so grateful for good nurses to care for their sick child so they can work/rest. We spend more time with the patient then any other care provider, so our imput is valued and important when it comes to treatment decisions.
    -One of the few agency's that i have come across that offer REAL health insurance and benefits...most agency's now prefer to keep everyone PRN now so that they dont have to pay for health insurance.
    -They are selective about which cases they take. They will refuse a case if deemed an unsafe environment for the nurses.
    -Emphesis on employee safety. Training is available to all as much as needed. You are backed up by management if you have to make a tough decision, for the safety of you or the patient.
    -typically have access to internet overnight...would be able to get some studying in if you are in school, infact, may be ideal for students.
    -Experienced nurses on the field team and in management...good resource always available to you 24/7 (on-call)

Cons

*Note: As with most jobs, conditions vary depending on what office you work from...so what may happen in one place (a bad review) may not be a true reflection of the average employee experience.

-First few months are a bit rough schedule wise until you build up to 3 or 4 cases to choose from which means more places that you can work.
    -Pay scale for home-health is lower then national average for nurses but not for this industry.
    -Ergonomics of the home a challenge depending on setup...for instance cribs with siderails that dont go up and down, ect. You have to work with whatever is in the home.
    -Parents are the boss here...you kinda have to be willing to cooperate with their household requests regardless of how trivial they may be in your opinion. Not that big of a deal. If using a certain blanket or bottle ect makes them feel happy then why not comply?
    -Some of the schedulers can be quite pushy trying to get you to work more or do a switch to get all their shifts filled but you are not obligated to work any shift or case you dont want to. I just resent their tactics at times,

-Raise the payscale to the average RN or LPN rates..Its hard to retain good nurses when their are so many places we could be working instead and make alot more money.
    -Monitor the CSM's. Incentive based scheduling is not a great system..Think smarter if you want to grow your business! They can and will say and do anything to get the shifts filled because it means more money for them...regardless of safety. Guess what? If a nurse has been on the schedule 10 days in a row or 54 hours in one week, and they decline a request to pick up another shift then you should respect that and not make them feel bad. I can work alot more if you dont burn me out in the long run!
    -Fix your paperwork system. No reason to be driving extra time off the clock to drop off time slips. Look into a better system.

Compassion Excellence Reliabilty

Current Employee - Client Services Manager
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care

Pros

This is a great company to work for. It is Privately owned, but has expanded since its beginning date of 1975. The company focuses highly on client satisfaction and it is shown through its core values. I worked in the office, so this is a review for the office structure than out in the field as a nurse. Depending on your office Director, your experience may be positive or negative. I worked for an amazing office. So my experiences are great. The CEO is down to earth. You will get a chance to meet him through the annual "Awards Weekend", which is a weekend event that occurs once a year. Your transportation and hotel is paid for. BAYADA really focuses on employee retention so they will reward you with gifts and prizes from time on. Overall, a great company to work for.

Cons

Overtime. Depending if you are a CSM, expect to clock more than 40 hours a week. But this comes with the business and can't be helped. You can't expect to leave on time, especially if your client's services depend on your coordination. Things happen and you would need to problem solve when it does.

I would ask to delegate some of the CSM duties to other office mates. CSMs do a lot, and working for another Home Health agency right after BAYADA, I see how BAYADA can overwork their CSMs.

Bayada in Providence RI

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care

Pros

Great office staff. Is there when you need them. They care about the employees as well as the clients. You don't find that often most places just need a body. CSM easy to work with and talk to. Great at his job. Doesn't take the stressful job out on the staff. HR very organized and professional. Doesn't just hire anyone. Very easy to talk to. This office has come a long way and continues to grow thanks to all the staff. If you can't treat employees good then you won't have very good staff or moral. Just a thank you is nice to hear again you don't hear that often but you do at Bayada

Cons

Pay is low for all CNA staff. If pay rates were increased Bayada would grow more. I took a pay cut to go back to Bayada because I would rather work for a company that respects employees instead of treating them horrible. That's how yolku keep a great employee. Benefits are not That great.

Please try to find a way to increase the pay rate. T

Nice company .. Few hiccups here and there but nice company

Current Employee - CNA/HHA
    Current Employee - CNA/HHA

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great job for college students. Flexible, can make your own schedule

Cons

Should pay field staff way more.
    Needs electronic time system to eliminate driving to office.Unsteady work

Stay organized. Pay more to field, BAYADA bucks every week

Do not live up to company values and standards as written in the Bayada Way

Former Employee - Management in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Management in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Financially stable company debt free, pay on a weekly basis.

Cons

The actual work load far exceeds the description. Set you up to fail, While they present strong core values and beliefs, behind the scenes it is all about money, micromanagement, and expectations and requirements for office and field staff they are not doable. Micromanage all parts of your practice and daily workload. Would not recommend as a favorite place to work. Do not practice what is preached.

This a great place to work at.

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for bayada was great very flexible.

Cons

You have to pay for your own insurance

Holly is great she.

RN

Current Employee - RN Field Nurse
    Current Employee - RN Field Nurse

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff in office. They are always willing to help you succeed.

Cons

Pay isn't as high as it should be.

Give raises

Great place to work.

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care

Pros

Growth opportunities. Worth while work making a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

Challenging work can be very stressful.

As others have said before they definitely don't walk the walk.

Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The written company values are great....now if they were just practiced.

Cons

Where to begin....I worked for this company for 6 years. I worked in the NC offices. (Greensboro, Asheboro, and Winsoton side of the state) I seen other long term employees leave in very hush, hush kind of ways but thought I was just being paranoid. In the last 2 years I worked there I was given 3 promotions and every year I worked there I received excellent evaluations. Then all of a sudden one of my division director's, director didn't like something I voiced a concern about and that was it. I was the "red headed step child." Within 2 weeks I was terminated. They came up with a "reason" of my paperwork not being properly done." I thought about all those others that were let go before me and realized what a shady group of people we worked for and was then thankful my time with Bayada had passed. My director asked me a question about her personal life and I told her the truth and this happens. (She was sleeping with some of the other married directors...yes I said some) If you have a valued employee who did paperwork incorrectly, you train and educate not terminate. Several employees from this same office were terminated within months of each other. No one thought or didn't care to look at the director for answers. No one thought to ask the employee, "Hey what's going on with all this?"
    And talk about drinking the koolaid...wow,,, this company is all about who likes who and who is related to who. The "Nursing Office" is the the same way. If you're not like them with the same opinions and carrying around your $500 purse you are pushed to the side or ignored.
    I honestly believe that Mark Baiada believes his company is being run using the Bayada Way but in NC it definitely is not. And Awards Weekend??? Please....use that money and pay your field staff more. The trip to NYC cost that company enough to give them a raise. We stayed at the Hilton at Grand Central Station. My director in the Greensboro NC office actually told the office staff not to tell the field staff about Awards weekend. The way I look at it, if you aren't doing anything to be ashamed of then why couldn't we tell anyone?
    The director's are paid an obscene amount of money while the CSMs and CMs do all the office type of work and the field staff is breaking their backs. Maybe one of those big fat bonuses the directors get should be shared with the field staff every once in awhile and quit offering those silly Bayada Bucks. I bet if they cut those bonuses in half those offices could actually pay their employees.
    The NC offices of this company are all about the money. They will make you think that they are not but believe me they are. I worked in some form in A LOT of these offices and they are all alike:
         -Bonuses for the directors every quarter their office is profitable. Division directer definitely get these as well.
         -Gifts for office staff only for beating billing records. (I wonder how they did that without the field staff)
         -Holiday Dinners that are crazy expensive...again for office staff only. With expensive gifts only given to office staff.
         -Awards Weekend ...every year...for office staff only. We are talking all expense paid, open bar, etc.,

UNDERCOVER BOSS....please do this in the NC offices. The directors and division directors are mostly related. Mark and Ann would be floored if they seen half the shady activities occuring in this state.

BAYADA Home Health Care Response

Oct 14, 2014Associate

Dear former employee, Thank you for your feedback. At BAYADA, we want to build and maintain a lasting legacy as the world’s most compassionate and trusted team of home health care professionals and ... More

Client and Employee Focus

Former Employee - Associate Director in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Honolulu, HI

I worked at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BAYADA goes above and beyond to to ensure a company culture that treats their employees with utmost respect and is not shy about showing their appreciation for your service. High standards and expectations, but that comes with any company providing the best services in their field. Great support throughout the company, everyone and anyone is always willing to help whenever and however they can.

Cons

BEARS system could us an update (in process at the time of my departure). Support offices are based in East Coast and close at 5pm EST, if you are in PST or HST you have a limited window to get certain things submitted or request for assistance.

Great job with making a large and expanding company feel personal and intimate.

BAYADA Home Health Care Photos