BB&T Reviews

608 reviews filtered by
3.1
BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

1. Good Company, Great Benefits

Former Employee - Relationship Banker in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker in Arlington, VA

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are top notch and they do a really good job at training their employees. I felt prepared everyday going into work.

Cons

The business model is a little outdated, at least at the Branch level.

2. Amazing company, too many changes at a fast pace.

Former Employee - Branch Banker
    Former Employee - Branch Banker

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Salary, Commission, Benefits, and flexibility

Cons

Updates w company and not enough time for employees to take in the changes.

Hire more personnel for branches.

Great company working to respond to a changing regulatory and competitive environment

Former Employee - Branch Banker III in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Branch Banker III in Charleston, SC

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-BB&T has a great culture and history of taking care of its associates. Your benefits will be good, you will not be expected to work any hours unpaid(if not exempt), and you will be treated like an individual with the ability to make intelligent decisions. In retail banking, this is not necessarily true of many large financial institutions.
    -Ample training - I received five weeks training before beginning to see clients and ongoing training after that
    - Values - BB&T is a company that actually cares about its clients. The first time I discussed a fee refund with my manager, he literally word for word asked me what I thought "Was right for the client and right for the bank". BB&T is a for profit business focused on shareholder returns, but from executive leadership on down BB&T believes that its focus in the market is helping its clients to be successful. You won't have to deal with shady consumer finance practices like retroactive interest, hidden fees, or the other sort of crazy stuff some other financial institutions do. BB&T's product offerings, while not always the cheapest, are not meant to be abusive or deceptive.
    - Room for growth - BB&T is large and diverse with many different areas(retail banking, commercial lending, insurance services, private banking, etc) to grow into. Starting your career at BB&T provides lots of opportunities to grow both upward and to transition laterally if you realize a better fit exists

Cons

- Market Environment - BB&T is working hard to cut costs to provide competitive returns to its shareholders. This means staffing is lighter than most associates are used to and the bank has been repeatedly reorganized to promote efficiency. This is hard on the associates, but hopefully will translate to shareholder value and a more relaxed expense focus longer term
    - Large Institution - I still happy bank with BB&T after leaving, and am exceedingly happy. However, while a larger financial institution has more width and depth of services, it is still not a small bank. Even with a customer service focus, there is less local decision making than at a small local bank with only a few dozen branches.
    - Conservative - BB&T is conservative, and very risk averse. While BB&T is currently extremely well positioned in its retail lending from a competitive standpoint, there will be deals you run into where we cannot lend because BB&T is simply to risk averse. Similarly, we will not charge prices that are likely to create long term losses on other services/products to generate short term revenue. This is great for the overall company, but may make it hard to compete with other banks willing to be more risky and short sighted.

Focus on providing meaningful support to associates during these more challenging times for the bank.

5. Not a very progressive company

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries; Balance of work/life

Cons

Strong focus on expense reduction; Little room for growth

6. Okay company

Former Employee - Vault Teller in Seminole, FL
    Former Employee - Vault Teller in Seminole, FL

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Good benefits and work hours

Cons

Trust no one you work with NO matter how nice they are to you.

Keep a closer eye on your employees

7. Great firm!

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Support and training programs are outstanding, solid benefits, advancement opportunities are provided, mentoring programs are in place. Numerous career paths for ambitious, hard-working, innovative people.

Cons

consensus driven organization, decisions can take more time. Cost conservative, like most reputable financial institutions - can make expense justification more tedious.

Keep lighthouse program going, continue to focus on Core Values, communicate challenges & successes in ways that are not just focussed on costs but on future benefits.

8. Bb&t

Current Employee - Branch Banker in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in Columbia, MD

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good salaries compared to other large institutions

Cons

Bb&t is a great conservative company that has some minor staffing issues due to budgeting

N/a

9. Teller

Former Employee - Teller in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Teller in Winchester, VA

I worked at BB&T

Pros

They have great benifits, specially health insurance and pay vacation

Cons

The management can be horrible. Sometimes, that only thing they care is about sales, sales.

You should respect your employees more

10. High pay - highly demanding

Current Employee - Branch Banker in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in Addison, TX

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was great and the benefits were nice. The place had great culture, rotating around the perfect client experience.

Cons

old system, constant system errors, outdated technology, cheap, pushy in credit card sales, and way too much drama for a bank. It's not an ideal work environment, and the system is extremely sensitive and error prone. Plus, they cross train their employees and set quota's that are IMPOSSIBLE to reach. The company has a great culture and atmosphere, but without updating to the current era (their system is 30 years old), they will fail.

Please update your systems and set APPROPRIATE quotas for your employees. You'll end up stressing them out and they will quit. In addition, please lose the extremely republican attitude within the work place. it's not making your impression any better.

11. Risk Manager in Corresponding Lending

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional benefits, one of the strongest financial institutions in the country, outstanding culture, many opportunities for advancement and flexibility with time off. The best bank I had ever worked for.

Cons

Way behind the times in IT and systems integration.

Spend more on internal technology, software and on vendor technology.