BB&T Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Regional Employment Manager

Former Employee - Employment Consultant IV in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Employment Consultant IV in Charleston, WV

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really loved the fact that BB&T gives so much back to the communities that they serve. The benefits are excellent including health, vision, dental insurance. I also enjoyed the communication opportunity for upper management, BB&T is very employee oriented. There are also excellent time off policies including 10 Federal Holidays per year. Of course, personal growth is ultimately up to the individual, but BB&T encourages the growth of their employees through training provided by BB&T University. The work-life balance was sometimes hard to manage as a mother.

Cons

The reductions in force in the last couple of years that involved many 20+ year employees losing their job.

I am really in agreement with all of BB&T's values. The Management works hard to promote from within. Raises could have been better the last couple of years. At my location the office culture was an enjoyable place to work.

Company has a good culture.

Current Employee - Branch Banker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good training, good culture, values-driven company. People are extremely friendly and very supportive of each other.

Cons

Very conservative ways to do business, traditional values. I work in Texas and its hard to line up the traditional ways to Texas way of doing business.

More coaching would definitely be useful

My experience at BB&T can be explained as a rollercoaster ride.

Current Employee - Teller in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Teller in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This job has great benefits and they match your 401k plan. You're not made to sell products however you must call people a couple times a day. Plus, I only worked every 3rd Saturday. It was required that you work every Saturday. It's a great entry level job for someone who has normal retail experience. Paid holidays as well.

Cons

Had very catty women working there making the environment unbearable. My manager didn't push his team a lot.He spent more time in his office watching sports on his phone instead of going out and getting clientele for the branch. They also have many unnecessary rules and it's easy to get in trouble over small things as a teller.

Get more males to work as tellers for your company. Women can be very catty and high school like. Thoroughly interview the people who are prospects for working there because a lot of times, these people are putting on fake facades.

Benefits are great, chance for advancement-slim, company is downsizing

Former Employee - Senior Teller
    Former Employee - Senior Teller

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great! Hope they continue for current and future employees.

Cons

Business is so busy, growth may not be given in case the employee diligently seeks. It is a job and one must not take it for grant it.

Use more positive reinforcement

Market Leader II

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good benefits, pension, 401 (K), overall mission and vision minded to be the best of the best in banking.

Cons

Work-life balance is very difficult if you are a clustered manager. Upper management is spread very thin and could not possibly understand the difficulties of branch management with their large number of direct reports and responsibilities.

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Fellow employees attitudes in the area I work with pitch in to get the job done.

Cons

The inability for some to adapt to the constant changes mostly due to having to meet changing Government regulations.

Great place!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, awesome career advancement opportunities, benefits are one of a kind!

Cons

Policies changes more often than expected,

Be more open to employee ideas on company growth

It's good company and great place to learn.

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Strong culture and provides an environment for success

Cons

The company lacks innovation and open environment to take risk.

Gained a lot of experience

Former Employee - Teller in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Teller in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good and the experience

Cons

Being a float teller the hours aren't guar

Float tellers should have a minimum hour work week. Like 15hrs at least

Very pleasant. Adored my job until recently.

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

The pros to working for BB&T are that if you are at least 30 hours, you do get some benefits that FT do. The paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401k, health insurance is great. Most of the people that they hire have proven to be ethical. It is a very sound and solid company surviving The Great Depression and was one of the first banks to repay the bailout because we didn't need to be bailed out.

Cons

A few cons to be noted is the fierce cut back on hiring and the amount of pressure and responsibilities Corp higher ups are placing on the branch staff. SELL!!SELL!!SELL!! And with all the federal regulations, the BB&T I was hired to work for no longer has the Community Bank feel with the benefits of a BIG Bank. You can't miss a day anymore without worrying that you are going to lose your job because we are so short staffed. I don't see how they can cut anymore and they really should be recognizing how people are dropping like flies due to these issues. No work life balance at all!! Former associates that have left for smaller banks or other professions are happier than they have been in a long time.

I really hope that you didn't realize until just now by reading this, just how bad so many of us at the branch level now DESPISE the jobs we once loved so much. We talk about it all the time about how it breaks our hearts that once, we were excited to come to work, but now, we lay in bed in the mornings dreading what the day will bring and more than once or twice a week cry on our ways either to or from there. It's really sad and I am sorry that the government is running BBT through the wringer, but the REALITY that you expect, isn't real at all. You've lost a lot of really good people to smaller banks, guys, and replacing them with underhanded branch level leadership... I am seeing now why so many Americans HATE BANKERS and sadly, now, I want out, too. But just out of Banking Period. Brand new industry is calling. Thanks for the good memories, but I'll never have a good taste in my mouth due to living the nightmare.

BB&T Photos