BB&T Reviews

Reset
3.2
BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • The work-life balance was sometimes hard to manage as a mother (in 31 reviews)

• good benefits; still offering pension (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to NO room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Segmentation is very messed up for the sales goals on the commercial side, which is tough to hit your goals unless you hit some wins (in 25 reviews)

1. Great People, Experienced Leadership, Great Bank

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

The benefits are unparallelled. Matching 401K, pension, full healthcare, vision, and dental make this a great place to work.

Cons

My particular position has very little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

The Benefits and The People! Hands Down!!! Knowing that you are in a company that fits my personality and values. You don't have to be the first, just be the best. The history of the company.

Cons

I haven't found any yet, but I've only been here about 3 weeks. A few things I have noticed is the slow start. A lot of things are not ready when you start. I have also not received the attention to my training like I would have liked.

Advice to Management

Do not entertain the idea of selling to a foreign competitor. Please. Let's keep what is great about this company and this country inside the borders.

3. Great employees and good work/life balance.

Current Employee - Manager in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Wilson, NC

Pros

Most employees are very good people who are great to work with and are trying to do the right thing. There are very few people who play games or back stab. Employees are treated fairly and promotions and pay increases go to those who contribute the most (sure, there are always a few exceptions when you have a company of this size).

Cons

Some work locations are not very exciting (Lumberton NC, Whiteville NC, Charleston WV, etc.). Many buildings are old and in desparate need of updating. Like many companies, the sales side gets the most recognition while the back office isn't recognized as much for successes.

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to delegate more and give the authority to act. All of the executives are involved in almost everything that goes on at BB&T. That worked great for a smaller bank, but needs to change now that its a large bank.

5. BB&T: Guided by Values and Performance

Current Employee - City Executive
    Current Employee - City Executive

Pros

Senior management has shown that a conservative strategy combined with solid core values wins in the long run. overall, I believe that BB&T managment takes its core values seriously and makes decision based on those values and morals.

Cons

Stress and long hours. However, I am certain that Senior managment works at least as hard as we do in the field.

Advice to Management

Be very careful when looking for the next big merger or acquistion.

As if BB&T's performance during this financial crisis is not evident enough...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Not only is it currently the highest performing financial services company in the region, the corporate culture is evident in the day-to-day operations of the company and not merely a set of words printed on an index card and forgotten. The current management is committed and competent, and the exposure and ability to advance is there when sought. The overall compensation value is one of the best in the industry, and it seems every employee is very content with his or her job. It seems like half of BB&T's employees have left other banks to come work for BB&T, and the other half have been with BB&T for their entire career.

Cons

There is not a whole lot of vacation time given out in the beginning of one's BB&T career, and there is not a whole lot of room for advancement of those whose work ethic is lacking.

Advice to Management

As if BB&T's performance during this financial crisis is not evident enough, just keep on doing what you're doing, and BB&T will prosper.

Read the Values, Vision and Mission

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

Pros

Values Driven organization. BB&T has a clearly defined Vision and Mission Statement, and is one of the very few financial services companies who actually maintains consistency with it's stated values. BB&T is true to it's commitment to Client, Employee, Community and Shareholder.

Cons

Slow to embrace new technologies.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to move away from the "do more with less" philosophy. That said, how can one complain about little things when we have what we need to do our jobs, know that the office will be there in the morning, the sign on the door stays the same, management is supportive, the company is outperforming it's peers, and we are never asked to compromise our ethics? We can be proud to wear the BB&T name tag when so many of our competitors cannot say the same.

8. BB&T gives their employees the best possible opportunity to grow in a challenging but yet exciting work environment.

Current Employee - Business Service Officer in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Business Service Officer in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Great Leadership Development Program. Conservative culture.

Cons

Regional blueprint may stump future growth.

Advice to Management

Look to expand beyond the southeast.

9. Commercial Banking

Current Employee - Commercial Banker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Commercial Banker in Washington, DC

Pros

stable management team with strong core values...commitment to commercial credit and taking care of client is job number one...clients are happy 99% of the time..

Cons

still a slow moving north carolina bank in regards to technology, does not offer complex cash management services for the middle market like international ach or online payables

Advice to Management

keep trusting employees like you do today, the people are the key to our continued success..keep up the good work and we will continue to gain market share

Great company

Current Employee - FInancial Center Leader III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - FInancial Center Leader III in Washington, DC

Pros

No micromanagement---only micro manage employees that need it Good benefits Fast advancement Great salary

Cons

LDP loyalty is high, meaning, they may get opportunities they don't deserve moving towards to widget goals vs revenue based

Advice to Management

Keep it up. You are doing a great job, and I'll follow you to my retirement. Thank you for always looking at everyone including the non LDP'ers.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Honesty and integrity are valued no micro management empowering management style great benefits lots of formal in-house training people that work at BB&T are genuinely nice people good opportunities for promotion good work is rewarded

Cons

headquarters located in a small size city long hours due to banking crisis that is going on right now its such a big company it is hard to get to know everyone unless you stay a long time

Advice to Management

Great job on getting us through the financial crisis. We are doing much better than other banks! It is comforting to know you work for a solid company that is not going to go out of business.

RSS Feed </> Embed