BB&T Reviews

618 reviews filtered by
3.2
BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

1. Credit Analyst

Current Employee - Credit Analyst
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Great place to start, great people. Very values based and they stand by their word

Cons

salary, should be paid more considering the amount of hours we work. Other organizations pay more for this role.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more, but other than that great job

2. Branch Banker

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

Outstanding and Great employee benefits.

Cons

Have late work evenings at times.

3. BB&T has been a great employer with good career advancememt.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Wilson, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Financial Company that provides solid employment

Cons

Strong mentoring programs throughout the entity would increase career growth.

5. Work env.

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Nice hard working team ..lots of challenge.

Cons

Not much to say at this point.

Advice to Management

No advice.

Great company working to respond to a changing regulatory and competitive environment

Former Employee - Branch Banker III in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Branch Banker III in Charleston, SC

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-BB&T has a great culture and history of taking care of its associates. Your benefits will be good, you will not be expected to work any hours unpaid(if not exempt), and you will be treated like an individual with the ability to make intelligent decisions. In retail banking, this is not necessarily true of many large financial institutions.
    -Ample training - I received five weeks training before beginning to see clients and ongoing training after that
    - Values - BB&T is a company that actually cares about its clients. The first time I discussed a fee refund with my manager, he literally word for word asked me what I thought "Was right for the client and right for the bank". BB&T is a for profit business focused on shareholder returns, but from executive leadership on down BB&T believes that its focus in the market is helping its clients to be successful. You won't have to deal with shady consumer finance practices like retroactive interest, hidden fees, or the other sort of crazy stuff some other financial institutions do. BB&T's product offerings, while not always the cheapest, are not meant to be abusive or deceptive.
    - Room for growth - BB&T is large and diverse with many different areas(retail banking, commercial lending, insurance services, private banking, etc) to grow into. Starting your career at BB&T provides lots of opportunities to grow both upward and to transition laterally if you realize a better fit exists

Cons

- Market Environment - BB&T is working hard to cut costs to provide competitive returns to its shareholders. This means staffing is lighter than most associates are used to and the bank has been repeatedly reorganized to promote efficiency. This is hard on the associates, but hopefully will translate to shareholder value and a more relaxed expense focus longer term
    - Large Institution - I still happy bank with BB&T after leaving, and am exceedingly happy. However, while a larger financial institution has more width and depth of services, it is still not a small bank. Even with a customer service focus, there is less local decision making than at a small local bank with only a few dozen branches.
    - Conservative - BB&T is conservative, and very risk averse. While BB&T is currently extremely well positioned in its retail lending from a competitive standpoint, there will be deals you run into where we cannot lend because BB&T is simply to risk averse. Similarly, we will not charge prices that are likely to create long term losses on other services/products to generate short term revenue. This is great for the overall company, but may make it hard to compete with other banks willing to be more risky and short sighted.

Advice to Management

Focus on providing meaningful support to associates during these more challenging times for the bank.

7. Great firm!

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Support and training programs are outstanding, solid benefits, advancement opportunities are provided, mentoring programs are in place. Numerous career paths for ambitious, hard-working, innovative people.

Cons

consensus driven organization, decisions can take more time. Cost conservative, like most reputable financial institutions - can make expense justification more tedious.

Advice to Management

Keep lighthouse program going, continue to focus on Core Values, communicate challenges & successes in ways that are not just focussed on costs but on future benefits.

8. Bb&t

Current Employee - Branch Banker in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Branch Banker in Columbia, MD

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good salaries compared to other large institutions

Cons

Bb&t is a great conservative company that has some minor staffing issues due to budgeting

Advice to Management

N/a

9. Risk Manager in Corresponding Lending

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional benefits, one of the strongest financial institutions in the country, outstanding culture, many opportunities for advancement and flexibility with time off. The best bank I had ever worked for.

Cons

Way behind the times in IT and systems integration.

Advice to Management

Spend more on internal technology, software and on vendor technology.

10. Teller

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Co-workers & paid federal holidays

Cons

Working Saturdays wasn't fun; Paranoia of frequent branch audits from corporate.

Advice to Management

The job was great. I'd recommend BB&T for anyone that wants a career in banking. Management really cares about its employees.

11. Love the company

Current Employee - Reatil Client Support in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Reatil Client Support in Wilson, NC

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Family oriented, salary, benefits, career, incentives

Cons

Direct management in some areas