BB&T Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

No advancement due to politics

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You have a job - this in not a career oriented Company

Cons

You are told you can take training but have the company pay for it first. I believed I would be reimbursed after I obtained a certification and that did not happen. Women appear to be under valued.

More women on the Board of Directors and in Senior Management. Alot of talking the talk but not walking the walk about treatment of employees.

The worse experience of my professional career.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at BB&T

Pros

ON THE SURFACE- life force, 401k, pension plan.

Cons

This particular branch was the worse experience of my life. There was SO much going on I would be ASHAMED for KELLY KING to know! Politics, people backstabbing one another, management covering for their pets! Disgusting!!!!! Upper management "grooming their pets" to be whatever they want them to be. Never had a more disappointing experience IN MY LIFE! Disgusting how HUMAN beings are taken out of the equation all together.... Nothing but market leaders trying to make themselves look good, whoring after whatever sale opportunity they can, whoring themselves and their employees!!! Despicable! I could see right through what was going on at this company. Listen, DO NOT WASTE your time, and I mean your emotional time at this company!!!! Very alarming, misleading, basically they will try and sell this amazing job offer to you and once you get there it is like the worse job ever.

Wake up!!!!! Get a clue!!! Why are all of my employees leaving???? Resigning???? We all know you truly don't care but someone seriously needs to!!!! How could a company that teaches being empathetic, competent, responsive, and reliable not even operate those principles itself and I mean the entity itself not practicing these principles????? Hello??? Do individuals a FAVOR do not waste their time and their talent!!!!

I worked for BB&T for 10 years. Most recent job title - Banking Network Branch Manager

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Can't think of any others.

Cons

Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management. I left BB&T after being offered a position at a small town community bank. I struggled with the decision even though working for BB&T was so stressful, it was affecting my health, my sleep and quality of life. I am not one to give up easily because I put my heart and soul into my job. The beginning of the end for me was when I received an email from my Regional Manager regarding a "call night" that I volunteered for my branch because we were behind on our credit card goals. When I sent in the results of those calls to my Regional Manager, I received an email back in capital letters with many exclamation marks stating the results were completely unacceptable. He stated that if I and my team and make "x" amount of calls we should have made "X" amount of contacts that should have resulted in "X" amount of sales. So now I have to control who answers the phone at night or is even home! Unbelievable! He said nothing about appreciating our efforts and that we were doing all we could (and then some) to try to reach our goals. This is the type of unappreciative management that BB&T has. In my area, employees are leaving in droves because of the direction BB&T is going with the bank. What happened to this bank? What happened to Kelly King? Over the years, one of the things that I heard over and over when something unethical would happen is "that is not the BB&T way". Well, the BB&T way now is this - employees are just a number, they don't care about their employees at all and they don't care about their customers either. Because if any of you reading this are customers of BB&T, the only thing they want from you is a "sale". And if the employee waiting on you doesn't produce one, they will be looking for another job. Leaving BBT was the best decision I ever made.

I don't have advice for a management that handles business this way. It's shameful and I don't know how they sleep at night.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Experience

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

The company is a growing company

Cons

The philosophy is a lie

Total disregard of customer needs

Former Employee - Investment Counselor  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

prestige of working in finance, wear tie to work, decent benefits, single girls

Cons

total attention to dollars of commissions produced. sell high commission annuities even though junk

put customers first

Don't think this is a small, community bank anymore!

Former Employee - Market Leader II  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Market Leader II in Marietta, GA

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

time off, employees you work with.

Cons

Not good management training, conference calls on Mondays and Fridays where you get yelled out for not making your numbers. Events, working more than 1 saturday a month, no comp time for saturday. short staffed, when they loose someone, they don't replace them. Management makes you think that you have it good but you really don't. Treat their manager's like crap! The whole culture has changed with John Allison retiring. Employees are miserable, management gets blamed for everything. You are always pulled in 100 different directions. Sales, sales, sales even if the client doesn't need it!

Don't ridicule the managers when they don't make their numbers or if they do, don't just brush it off! Treat people like professionals.

At least they have a pension plan

Current Employee - Branch Banker III
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clients are amazing. Having holidays off is nice. Birthday off is nice. What would be awesome would being able to go on vacation when you have it scheduled. What good is it to have 4 weeks of vacation if you can't use it:(

Cons

Salary ��
    Hours��
    Resources��
    Empathy��
    Motivation from management default response "be thankful you even have a job" ��

I think BBT has dug itself in a hole and I really don't see them being able to get out of it. Hopefully they will get bought out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Working at BB&T

Current Employee - Financial Center Leader II  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Financial Center Leader II in Columbia, SC

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Still offers pension. Still uses DOS to submit loan applications; system breaks down all the time.

Cons

Closed minded, traditional values, overtime abuse;

All smoke and no fire.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing, corporate culture in North Carolina

Cons

Executive leadership and middle management (South Texas Region) does not listen to input from managers on the front lines

Recognize you do not have all of the answers just because you are from the Baltimore, MD region

Terrible

Current Employee - Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker

I have been working at BB&T full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only pros are the base salary and branch hours

Cons

-Micro Managers
    -Sale pushers
    -Worse customer service I have ever seen
    -Managers don't care about you doing servicing all they care about is your numbers at the end of day
    -Clients are just numbers to them
    -Not enough staffing
    -No lunches at times
    -No sense of urgency takes forever to get any answers from a manager
    -You WILL be the managers assistant because they DO NOT feel like doing anything themselves other then going on "business calls"
    -Want you to speak with 10 people per day doesn't matter if you called 40 people that day.4-
    -Managers don't know how to do anything or manage their branches
    -Don't care about customer complaints at all

I can go on and on

Get managers that know what they are doing.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!