BB&T Reviews

Reset
4.0
BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • The work-life balance was sometimes hard to manage as a mother (in 31 reviews)

• good benefits; still offering pension (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to NO room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Segmentation is very messed up for the sales goals on the commercial side, which is tough to hit your goals unless you hit some wins (in 25 reviews)

1. Credit Analyst

Pros

Great entry positions out of college

Cons

If you do not like cube life, welcome to it

2. Large company with great benefits, lacks personal interaction with support

I have been working at BB&T part-time

Pros

Great benefits, growing through acquisition.

Cons

Very set in ways and procedure-driven. Lacks personal interaction with support services like HR and IT (call 800 number).

Advice to Management

Find a way to make support for regional associates more personal.

3. Market Leader III

Former Employee - Market Leader III in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Market Leader III in Washington, DC

Pros

- Great Pay if you are a top performer - Your not stuck in the branch because you get to get out and develop business - I left BB&T for a community bank and now regret it. Yes I was stressed but there was more opportunity at BB&T - If you want a career as a branch manager then this is the place to be. Some branch managers make six figures. You will have to produce well though - When I worked here I thought the branch support was horrible, now that I work at a smaller community bank I now know that BB&T has a great branch support system.

Cons

- If you work in the branch and plan to eventually go to the commercial side...Good Luck! I've seen it done but its very very hard to do if you have no commercial experience. - the annual bonus is not as good as other banks quarterly bonuses - huge stress if you are underperforming. most of my branches were good but one of them I got had a lot of issues. It took me awhile to get it back in shape and the stress was crazy. The weekly conference calls were no fun because of the lack of sales. - as with most banks and probably even most companies.....getting in good with the right people can get you promoted fast. It wasn't always about the sales. - You can have a great year and think you will get your annual bonus and then BOOM!!! The bank decides to charge-off a bunch of your accounts before the new year and your matrix points fall below the minimum and you have NO bonus at all. We are talking about $5,000 or more dollars GONE in a snap!!

Advice to Management

- Screw annual bonuses. Switch to quarterly bonuses. Your sales people will be more focused just like the RBs re more focuses to hit their monthly goal. - Make it easier for Market Leaders to grow to Commercial Bankers. We don't want to stay in the branch our whole lives.

5. So far it has been a good experience. BB&T has a lot of nice and helpful people.

Current Employee - Market Leader in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Market Leader in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

New to bank. Not sure. They do have a good training university. The people are very friendly and helpful. Enjoy working with the team.

Cons

New to bank. Don't know of any cons. Still studying the banks information on products and services. Similar to a lot of banks in the area.

Advice to Management

No advice.

6. Great people locally!

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

Great place to work for the most part. Wonderful benefits.

Cons

Sales and referrals are a huge part of everything now. Less for more. One person doing the job of 2 or more.

Advice to Management

The need for business is understandable, but not everyone signed up to be a salesman...and all clients don't appreciate being hounded for products they don't want...repeatedly.

7. Relationship Banker

Former Employee - Relationship Banker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker in Dallas, TX

I worked at BB&T (More than 3 years)

Pros

All employees had a Good work life balance

Cons

The compensation was low for the industry

8. At the time I was there...

Former Employee - Certified Teller in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Certified Teller in Durham, NC

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You talked to great clients who actually cared about you. The working environment was great but that depends on who you work with. Overall had a great experience with the company.

Cons

Started asking for employees to meet quotas (savings, checking, etc)

9. Fun Job

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fairfax, VA

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved being a bank teller. Our branch was like a family. The clients all knew who I was and would stop me when I was out and about town to ask how my classes were going.

Cons

Corporate's expectations started to get out of hand towards the end of my 3 years there. Management was often disorganized and left the other members of the branch to fend for themselves.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Don't ask branch team to do things that you would not or have never done.

Branch Banker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good company to work for the company offers tons of benefits to include paid vacation, profit sharing, several branches to choose from along with numerous career opportunities. One of the better paying banks within the area!

Cons

Advancement opportunities are presented only it is difficult to transition, working in the branch environment is demanding in some of the higher volume branches but for those with low volume the challenge of generating production includes LOTS OF SALES CALLS!!

Advice to Management

Recommending colleagues for other jobs within the company is not a bad thing its a compliment choosing not to recommend holds your staff from growth and forces them to seek outside sources.

11. An ethical bank

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller
    Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good values, strong emphasis on leadership. Strong on professional development and identifying talent. Strong bank and very corporately structured but still maintained small, personal feel in each branch. Very awesome benefits package, really made an effort to treat employees well.

Cons

Lots of red tape at times, but that is the banking industry

RSS Feed </> Embed