BB&T Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
608 reviews filtered by

1. can be worse

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

good schedule. They try to make sure you are no more than 30 miles from you house.

Cons

You won't make to much money in this company or go anywhere if you don't know somebody up there.

2. It's all in who you know and who you work with at BB&T

Current Employee - SSO
    Current Employee - SSO

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, healthy 401k match, pension, and the work itself is very enjoyable. You get an opportunity to really become part of the fabric of your community and learn who the players are.

Cons

Technology is outdated and too many people are BB&T lifers who drink the kool-aid. Constantly changing priorities and too much nepotism.

Hire outside talent with fresh ideas, hold everybody accountable for executing the vision and not just some roles.

I'm a number, nothing more, and will be leaving soon

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package
    Lower level employees are genuinely good people
    Good place to start a career, emphasis on start

Cons

Management (at all levels - low, mid, senior) I've worked with/for every level
    Salary
    Promotional Opportunities

First off, we are employees, not associates, stop with all that nonsense

Time to start treating people right. You cut 1,440 full time jobs in 2014, don't think you can just sweep that under the carpet. There is a feeling that none of us matter to the organization, and you all have done little to change that mindset.

You preach values, when managers constantly lie either directly to an employee's face or by omission. Tell me how that jives with Reality, Honesty, Integrity values that are prevalent in every building, handbook, etc.

Your employee survey is a joke, no one answers truthfully for fear of retribution.

Many jobs are opening up elsewhere and you will soon lose your best employees.

Not like it used to be, not good place

Current Employee - Teler Supervisor
    Current Employee - Teler Supervisor

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pros include that part-time gets benefits if work at least 20 hours/week. The pay range is about the same as other banks. There are still employees there that care about their work, the clients, and the success of the bank.

Cons

The upper management don't care about the branch personnel. They say things like "if you don't like your job, there are plenty of people that are waiting for it". And "it's not all about you, You should wake up in the mornings thinking about your clients not yourself". There is no possibility for advancement unless upper management wants you to move, otherwise you are stuck. AND they now base salary increases on 'team production' not personal input... so whether you are a high achiever or a low do-nothing.... you depend on the branch success to get the same percent raise as the next guy (or not), so it doesn't pay off to work hard or care about your job.

Recognize the people that are working hard to make the bank shine... and compensate the people that work hard, not just everybody as a whole. AND if there is someone that deserves a promotion, don't hold them back because you like the job they are doing where they are. Give them a chance to succeed in a higher (with higher pay) position.

6. The experience at BB&T was a positive one; the management invests in your success.

Former Employee - Risk Management Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Risk Management Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company rewards its long-term employees with great benefits.

Cons

There is a line for promotion and seniority will usually take priority

Upgrade some of the technology in the office.

Corrupt politics at mid-level management lead company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good learning experience; compensated well for not doing that much; hours not bad; slow pace

Cons

failure-fearing culture; hard word is not recognized; decisions are made based on politics; employees try to point out others' mistakes

mid-level managers need to become leaders rather than managers/administrators and pay attention to employees at lower levels

8. BB&T is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Teller in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Teller in Wilson, NC

I have been working at BB&T part-time (less than a year)

Pros

BB&T values family and I love their incentive program.

Cons

I wasn't to big on pushing a sale on a customer especially if I knew that they did not need the service.

The amount of time you have to stay in your position to post out was a bit extreme.

Work

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Not enough time spent on quality training for the task. Training should be uninterrupted.

Know where to draw the line when it comes to friendship and hard workers.

Growing company

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training, if you ever have a question about something you can call branch info for help.

Cons

Not open about what is going on. You never get to interact with top managers so they don't get to know you, but these are the managers that control your career. They move employees around too much which makes the clients nervous. They have started moving away from their great mission statement and no longer are putting communities and employees first, it is all about the shareholders. If you make a big mistake you could be let go.

Promote people who have a college degree, who work hard, and show up everyday. Upper management needs to do a better job of going out there and knowing their employees. Upper managersneed to start working towards moving the company back to the Mission Statement and Core Values. If they did this would be the best bank to work for again but until then I hope they don't don't lose all of their great employees because they are stressing them out too much about hitting numbers every month instead of doing what needs to be done for the clients.

30-Hr Relationship Banker II (Save the World Worker I)

Former Employee - Relationship Banker II
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker II

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Part Time benefits (insurance/401k)
    Decent Pay
    Paid Vacation
    Great co-workers

Cons

Sales pushy
    Lack of schedule flexibility
    Time off (weird system of vacation selection)
    Bosses throwing you under the bus
    Having to keep a straight face when you'd really like to tell the person in front of you "YOU overdrew. This is completely YOUR fault!)
    Horribly scripted save the world speech to new "clients"

Not everyone is able to be universal employee. Being a teller requires a certain set of skills that not everyone is equipped with. The idea that no means not right now is completely false; it means no unless I tell you otherwise. REspect your clients and be more clear with your policies. So many "clients" were taken advantage of because of sneek fees and it was usually senior citizens on fixed budgets.