BB&T Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

no room for growth

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training at BB&T is great

Cons

can not advance due to upper management

it would be nice for management to realize the role that the front line in the branches play in their success and be recognized and be given the opportunity to advance within the company.

Little opportunity for Growth

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

If you are in their community banking division their is little sales pressure compared to competitors. They offer excellent health insurance

Cons

If you are looking to grow your career and develop new skills BB&T is not the place for you. Compensation packages are on very low end compared with competitors.

Support your staff instead of firing them

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get your birthday off

Cons

There are too many to list

Get out in the branches. Your 18 daily emails get deleted by your employees since they are constantly telling you what your not doing right! Instead of "saving money" by cutting employees, why snot you cut the people you pay to tell us what we're doing wrong! Your lack of leadership and support is unreal. Employees are leaving bunch-by-bunch.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience with BB&T was both good and bad and very challenging..

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BB&T places high emphasis on continuing education and always has opportunities for growth. The company has excellent benefits.

Cons

For those in branch management positions, the job requires an inordinate amount of time.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Teller Part Time  in  Boone, NC
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

The team of people whom I worked with were wonderful!
    Get lots of long weekends due to bank holidays.
    You learn a lot about banking

Cons

lunch hours are never consistent

Have a program where all upper management have to have experience from the bottom up, that way the know what to expect and understand what is obtainable by lower end management.

Relationship

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

benefits, salary, personal growth, leadership, opportunity.

Cons

short staff, constant shifting, everyone needs to be cross trained, Saturday hours, branch info is horrible.

Started off good but went down hill

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and for, not major sales pressure, great benefits, good work/life balance, good perks, federal holidays and accumulated vacations days off, decent pay in comparison to other banks.

Cons

Been here for a year and have seen a major change in company culture, especially in the past six months. Changes at both branch and corporate levels, making it a bit more stressful, to a point of worry about job security. Past six months have lead to a few layoffs, short staffing which leads to longer wait times and more frustrated clients and no end on sight especially with hiring freeze. Other than that, usual cons especially being part time like having to float to other branches, a few monotonous moments, software and hardware seems a bit dated, but this comes with the territory and job title, if you couldn't handle those simple problems, I'm not sure you could do the job.

The upper management really needs to get its act together and start hiring again. Being short at the teller level adds to stresses of everyone at the branch level. The management inconsistent views have turned from really caring about the client and the employee, to us employees just feeling like a B or C number and clients just being another deposit account or another loan and can and will have to deal with waiting an hour just to get into their safety deposit box or waiting 20 minutes to deposit one check. This hiring freeze and moving people around and short staffing in branches and making us employees feel like crud is really going to drive those good employees that deserve more into roles with other companies and leave you left with those employees that aren't worth a damn and don't care about the job and clients that have gone elsewhere because they may me treated better at another institution.

It all starts at the teller level, start treating us good again and drop the dead weight at the branch and corporate levels and the sky is the limit.

BB&T teller interview

Current Employee - Part Time Teller  in  Emporia, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Emporia, VA

I have been working at BB&T part-time for less than a year

Pros

good company with great benefits! and off for your birthday. There a lot of branches on the east coast, so you will be able to transfer to different areas. Also have a lot of different career oppurtunities

Cons

Company has had a lot of cut backs lately. Employees that have been there 20+ years have been cut back to part time hours.

Be considerate

I worked for BB&T for 10 years. Most recent job title - Banking Network Branch Manager

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Can't think of any others.

Cons

Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management. I left BB&T after being offered a position at a small town community bank. I struggled with the decision even though working for BB&T was so stressful, it was affecting my health, my sleep and quality of life. I am not one to give up easily because I put my heart and soul into my job. The beginning of the end for me was when I received an email from my Regional Manager regarding a "call night" that I volunteered for my branch because we were behind on our credit card goals. When I sent in the results of those calls to my Regional Manager, I received an email back in capital letters with many exclamation marks stating the results were completely unacceptable. He stated that if I and my team and make "x" amount of calls we should have made "X" amount of contacts that should have resulted in "X" amount of sales. So now I have to control who answers the phone at night or is even home! Unbelievable! He said nothing about appreciating our efforts and that we were doing all we could (and then some) to try to reach our goals. This is the type of unappreciative management that BB&T has. In my area, employees are leaving in droves because of the direction BB&T is going with the bank. What happened to this bank? What happened to Kelly King? Over the years, one of the things that I heard over and over when something unethical would happen is "that is not the BB&T way". Well, the BB&T way now is this - employees are just a number, they don't care about their employees at all and they don't care about their customers either. Because if any of you reading this are customers of BB&T, the only thing they want from you is a "sale". And if the employee waiting on you doesn't produce one, they will be looking for another job. Leaving BBT was the best decision I ever made.

I don't have advice for a management that handles business this way. It's shameful and I don't know how they sleep at night.

Great Entry-Level

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker  in  Goldsboro, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker in Goldsboro, NC

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly work environment, work/life balance is great, good hours and good benefits. If you are giving your all, you will be recognized. Top notch training! They truly prepare you to fulfill your role and are very keen on additional training classes and seminars.

Cons

Stressful sometimes working under specific sales goals, sales goals are sometimes unrealistic and hard to achieve. Lower level management will help you and encourage you, as long as you have a good manager. Every position is being stretched a little more thin, more responsibilities and less compensation. Like most companies doing more with less.

Be more involved with your branches, take time to remember what it is like to work at the bottom of the chain and the difficulties that are to be overcome there.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!