BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Management Style is soooo 30-Years Ago - Really Bad for the 21st Century

Project Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsI honestly cannot provide any Pros for working at BB&T. (and, I am not a disgruntled former employee)

ConsHere is how I would categorize my experience: Management has no regard nor do they demonstrate or live the Corporate Values. I found Management to be insecure, asinine, and consistently disjointed. I found Bully-Style Management to be the norm. My review sessions felt more like Interrogation sessions. The BB&T Culture works for persons who have not developed nor embraced a broader world-view and experiences. The culture works for a narrow set of people. No career path, either. This was by far my worst experience in a corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for Management at BB&T, just a few things that I observed: Management is tone deaf which makes the organization unwilling to (very well can't) change. I only know that what I experienced at BB&T is a reflection of the overall leadership - (from Kelly King on down) - they don't know what they don't know.

Rewarding hard work.

Relationship Teller (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGood pay. Good hours. Paid holidays off. Good benefits.

ConsShort staffing makes it difficult to make personal plans. A bit outdated systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove working for the bank. Dislike the computer system.

Great place to be and great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsThis is a company that is very profitable but has unfortunate suffered at the hands of government regulations. Regardless, it is very well managed and continues to thrive in even a down economy. The people are very nice, great work atmosphere, great opportunities to advance, pay is good, and the training is excellent.

ConsFor those on the lower end of the corporate ladder, advancement is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and provide necessary training, rather than hiring experienced outside people. I understand why you do it that way, but foster a culture where employees truly grow within BB&T.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing and enjoying it

Portfolio Risk Officer (Current Employee)

ProsMonthly coaching sessions, available middle management, ability to provide process improvement ideas.
    BB&T provides below average pay when looking at salary relative to the position that you have. However, the company compensates for this by readily offering leadership opportunities, training, promotions and challenging work opportunities if the employee is engaged. The company readily promotes talent from within. To me, this is far more valuable long term than an extra $10K a year. Besides the career potential, the leadership opportunities provide ways to grow and be challenged. In my 5 years at the bank, I've been promoted once and have had numerous leadership opportunities.

Leadership training for managers makes it more likely that your manager/team leader will have a basic understanding of personality dynamics and basic level of empathy. Employees have agency and autonomy--the ability, skills and authority to make decisions about their work. In most situations, management and coworkers treat each other as adults and with respect. Taking sick time or going to a doctor appointment have never been an issue. Neither is asking for help when workloads are obscene (help might not be available, but there is no stigma around asking). The work week of 40-50 hrs creates good work/life balance. After 2 years, vacation days were 15+your birthday off + 10 bank holidays.The company is transparent in its values and policies. Generally, co-workers are nice and competent. Most people are engaged in their work and many are loyalty. The bank has never performed mass layoffs when the stock is under-performing. It has laid off chunks of employees if their jobs become obsolete and they don't have the skills to move into another role. All of this together creates an almost work-family like feel.

6% 401k match with really low Vanguard expense fund options. BB&T tiers employee's health insurance costs by health level and the health insurance is generous for coverage.

HR department: competent from my limited experience.

ConsThere are major process inefficiencies, which many find frustrating. Way below market pay--pay for tenure vs. top performance. The company is really cheap when it comes to little things that make the work day pleasant and would show care, like providing coffee or water.

The co-workers that are not competent (below average, always having a bit of trouble, not able to complete tasks on time and by others standards) are not fired. One would have to seriously underperform or be downright disruptive to be fired.

Over the past 2 years, the bank has attempted to flatten the management system, consolidating senior executive positions and regions. There is less room to grow in seniority later in one's career, making the proverbial corner office not likely to be attained.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more willing to let people go that are a bad fit for the company, either because of their life outlook, motivation or skill set. This is particularly an issue with tenured employees.

Great company to work for but has its ups and downs like most companies.

Vice President (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBB&T provides excellent training and opportunities for growth. They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement.

ConsThe sales mentality has increased to a point that I worry that it will override the values and culture of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that in order to achieve the increased sales goals on leaders, work-life balance will suffer.

Overall good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, culture and work environment

ConsManagement is very poor, workload is not distribute equally or in an efficient manner

Relationship Banker I

Relationship Banker I (Current Employee) Deerfield Beach, FL

ProsGreat company with AMAZING benefits for all!

Consnone to report at this time

Advice to Senior Managementnone to report at this time

Wonderful Benefits

ProsWonderful Benefits, very flexible. LOVE the people.

ConsEnvironment varies depending on the people

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider training more from within.

Terrible experience

Analyst (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsI am still trying to find,,,,finding.............did not find anything.. ............!
    Quit trying to find a pro !!

ConsMental stress
    Incompetent management & leadership
    To get things done you are at the mercy of everyone.
    Impolite attitude
    Give up nights and weekends
    Practically it is not possible to do work even if you try to !
    Will be promoted if you are ready to wipe $$$ !
    Don't expect a pay hike for years
    Bonus is a joke
    High attrition -----TRUST ME THIS IS IN EVERY DEPT

endless...you will find one which I haven't for sure

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Better sell this to better bank

Newborn Photographer

Newborn Photographer (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsGreat company. Products for new moms are great. Company values to service to Mothers and provided various other company gifts to help mom on getting discounts on products. The leadership is different due to the fact most are out of town. This job has plenty communication thur email and texting but the job gets done.

ConsSome days you may go in to work and there is no work. No money is earned when no babies are born.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!