BB&T

Updated November 20, 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

A pretty surface with some messed up management...

Former Employee - Relationship Banker
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker

I worked at BB&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, pension plan, great health club called Life Force that encourages a healthy lifestyle for discounts on the health insurance. Employee camaraderie! Lots of teamwork.

Cons

Short staffed, management can be tough on people. They don't like it when you try and get the truth. The market leaders tend to snitch on other employees and if you do something to upset one manager, you can get blacklisted.

Check your Market Leaders calendars and drop by when they say they have all of those appointments - they rarely really exist. Also when an RB says there are issues and multiple other people can confirm the facts, then interview other people. A particular ML likes using their "in" with the boss to avoid having to use the proper channels when it comes to getting rid of someone they don't like.

Grew up as a community bank - can't be a real commercial bank

Current Employee - Business Service Officer
    Current Employee - Business Service Officer

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Balance is decent, and most people are generally really easy to get along with. Executive management is very personable, and they do come to the regions at least once a year. Benefits are above industry standard and generally speaking there is a lot of people who work really hard.

Cons

Good-ole boy bank, it's who you know if you want to move-up. They are taking a retail approach to commercial business (i.e. scorecards, tick marks, referrals, and micro-managing). Segmentation is very messed up for the sales goals on the commercial side, which is tough to hit your goals unless you hit some wins. Bank is fundamentally controlled by credit - so is pricing. Sometimes conservative in spite of itself, and can't grasp the market competition in the general C&I space. Only place the bank is doing well is in small business lending, specialized credit, and CRE... tough if you are a seasoned C&I banker.

Salary is okay, bonus compensation is crummy at best. If you're new to the bank, negotiate for a high salary because expecting a bonus that is sizable is going to be painful despite hitting goals.

Redefine the commercial segments, let bankers fundamentally do their job and get deals done. Credit folks need to realize we can take some risk with a $190B balance sheet on smaller deals, and on top of that we shouldn't be afraid or syndicate deals and going after $50-100mm credits in large markets. It's time to step up to the plate and stop playing little-league.

Middle-management needs to get over themselves and their titles - but hey, that's banking.

RIF's are getting to be the NORM

Current Employee - Market Leader
    Current Employee - Market Leader

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Full benefits for PT employees.
    Holidays, vacation, and birthday's off

Cons

Lots of micro-managing--conference calls, meetings, call nights, reports to complete when management can pull the results themselves.
    Stressful work environment--the impression of never doing enough.
    Sales goals that are unattainable.

After working for BB&T for 25 years, I was notified that my position was being eliminated. I should be angry about this....but strangely enough, my reaction was mostly one of relief. For the past two years, I have not been happy in the role and with the changes that have came along. BB&T has always prided itself on being a values driven company and as an employee, I believed that and felt that from upper management. That has drastically changed within the past two years and is still changing today. There is no recognition for any contributions made, only what else can you do for me? Stressful, horrible place to work! Most people that I know who have left the company have said that they are so much happier now.

Little opportunity for Growth

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

If you are in their community banking division their is little sales pressure compared to competitors. They offer excellent health insurance

Cons

If you are looking to grow your career and develop new skills BB&T is not the place for you. Compensation packages are on very low end compared with competitors.

Relationship Teller

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

You get a nice amount of vacation time. I'm also off every Saturday.

Cons

They do not care about the employees. They have cut his tremendously. From day to day you really never know what location you're going to work at. Your checks are up and down you may get 40 plus one week and the next week you may only get 28 hours. Very thankful to have a job, but when another job come through I'll be leaving with no hesitation.

HIRE MORE TELLERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BEFORE EVERYBODY LEAVE!!!! IT'S WAY TOO MANY UNHAPPY EMPLOYEES!

no room for growth

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The training at BB&T is great

Cons

can not advance due to upper management

it would be nice for management to realize the role that the front line in the branches play in their success and be recognized and be given the opportunity to advance within the company.

Support your staff instead of firing them

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get your birthday off

Cons

There are too many to list

Get out in the branches. Your 18 daily emails get deleted by your employees since they are constantly telling you what your not doing right! Instead of "saving money" by cutting employees, why snot you cut the people you pay to tell us what we're doing wrong! Your lack of leadership and support is unreal. Employees are leaving bunch-by-bunch.

Relationship

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

benefits, salary, personal growth, leadership, opportunity.

Cons

short staff, constant shifting, everyone needs to be cross trained, Saturday hours, branch info is horrible.

My experience with BB&T was both good and bad and very challenging..

Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Center Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

BB&T places high emphasis on continuing education and always has opportunities for growth. The company has excellent benefits.

Cons

For those in branch management positions, the job requires an inordinate amount of time.

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - Teller Part Time in Boone, NC

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team of people whom I worked with were wonderful!
    Get lots of long weekends due to bank holidays.
    You learn a lot about banking

Cons

lunch hours are never consistent

Have a program where all upper management have to have experience from the bottom up, that way the know what to expect and understand what is obtainable by lower end management.