BB&T Reviews in Richmond, VA

3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I joined BB&T and the experience has been wonderful.

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Richmond, VA

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strength and Stability of the organization
    Culture- very focused on employee development

Cons

I tried hard to think of at least one reason and was not able to come up with one.

N/A

Mortgage Loan Processor III

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor III  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor III in Richmond, VA

I have been working at BB&T full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only plus is the 80 hours of sick leave you get a year. This can be used for your children, spouse, or yourself.

Cons

Benefits are not good. Healthcare for a family of 5, I pay $495.00 per paycheck. Copays are $35.00, I am not sure why there are so many reviews saying the benefits are great. I left Bank of America to come here and my benefits were much better. I had 4 weeks vacation. Here I got 2 weeks. Healthcare was $305.00 per paycheck. Technology is outdated and management does not provide training and is not evolved at all. Good ole boys network. Branches might be different but corporate BB&T is AWFUL.

Provide more training and leadership. Don't treat satellite offices like step children. If you are not in Wilson or TX then you don't exist.

Company is very conservative and old school

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Richmond, VA

I worked at BB&T as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Has been successful in not having a high turnover rating

Cons

advancement opportunity and pay is not competitive to others in the industry

my advice would be to get all of their departments on one accord no matter what location the department is in. You should have the same professional experience at all locations of one company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BB&T

Former Employee - FInancial Center Leader III  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - FInancial Center Leader III in Richmond, VA

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Company inself is solid, with the bottom line always a focus.

Cons

The Central Virginia Leadership is comprised of the same type of person, gender, and age. There is no diversity and no decision making ability by the Area Managers.

Look for new and fresh ideas, outside your region on how to conduct business. Lead through inspiration.

Good benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

40 paid sick days, multiple paid vacation weeks

Cons

This is a male dominated industry making it very difficult for females to advance.

More flexiable with schedules for moms and students

BB&T has great values and an awesome mission... but they don't live by it... actions speak louder than words

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at BB&T

Pros

- Benefits (pension and 401k)
    - Great HR department

Cons

- Annual Performance plans 2% raise if a Very Good Performer? PATHETIC
    - Very low pay compared to other places
    - Terrible management
    - Managers are worked to death- averaged 12 hour days and worked Saturdays
    - Conference calls- how about work smarter, not harder? If you want sales performance, dont tie your employees up on a conference call that is pointless
    - No recognition
    - Managers who get recognized work in branches where everything gets handed to them
    - Dont work for the retail side
    - Senior management is selfish and wont promote you to a job you want if they want you to stay where you are.
    - Some how confidential conversations go public and all of the employees find out
    - managements lack of professionalism is hidden in the professional dress they want their employees to wear (panty hose? Seriously?... its 90 degrees outside)...
    - Overall..... they need new management- its important for employees to see that you care about your family as much as you care about your job....

I do like Executive Management- but not the management in the CentralVA Region

Products and Ops Mgr

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Good bank. In excellent shape financially compared to their peer group.

Cons

No management help in terms of advancing ones career.

Show up to work and approach your fellow employees in regards to what can be done bettter at the branch level

Fantastic opportunities for just the right person at just the right time in their career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Company reputation. If you are willing to move, great career opportunities for those willing to work extremely hard and smart.

Cons

Overall it is a good place to work. In my case I have two managers for whom the word is a misnomer. I see other areas where employees are working well together and where common sense and respect rule. In my area one manager plays favorites while the other manager is not capable of adjusting to the fact that four or five of those who report to this manager are more capable.

The values expressed as the way we do business are excellent. Lets get back to the basics in terms of how we treat each other but get more progressive with systems and processes. Truly review managers for their abilities.

At BB&T - Be Certain You can Cram 10 Hrs of Work into 7.5 of Paid Time Ea. Day!

Current Employee - Client Service Associate II  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate II in Richmond, VA

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

ONLY reasons: Benefits are above average and provided at minimal cost to employees. Most low-earning workers are "hooked" quickly by the good health and life insurance offered and find it impossible to find comparable benefits elsewhere even though they hate their jobs.

Cons

BB&T is only about what they can get out of their workers - most jobs expect 10 hours of work to be crammed into 7.5-8 hours of paid work a day. Work areas are cramped, surroundings are noisy with employees constantly being interrupted. Multi-tasking? That's a joke! Employees are expected to be doing at least three-four things at once while looking ahead to next week, next month, next quarter, and answering the phone!

Have you really read a job description for a Client Service Associate from beginning to end lately?? Would any of you be willing to do that job on a daily basis? I doubt if any management person in our office could or would be able to keep up an account manager's desk for more than two weeks, much less make it through a complete renewal cycle with all tasks done, including proposals, accounts receivables, reports, endorsements, audits, and summaries all in a timely manner according to service standards set by the master - J. Dean.

There's Opportunity Here

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Richmond, VA

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

BB&T offers a comprehensive benefits package. They recognize the importance of balancing family and careers. BB&T is well respected by insurance carriers and therefore has the ability to offer clients coverages and services that a client may not be able to enjoy with other agencies.

Cons

The inability to adequately staff insurance offices. BB&T has a lot of great ideas on value added services. With added staff it would be easier to provide these services to the clients. Being owned by a bank causes the insurance side to have to comply with rules and regulations that are not necessarily placed on other insurance competitors.

Look at the staffing and use a different guage when deciding whether an office needs additional staff or not.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!