BB&T

Updated Feb 18, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Company is very conservative and old school

Mortgage Processor (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsHas been successful in not having a high turnover rating

Consadvancement opportunity and pay is not competitive to others in the industry

Advice to Senior Managementmy advice would be to get all of their departments on one accord no matter what location the department is in. You should have the same professional experience at all locations of one company.

Mortgage Loan Processor III

Mortgage Loan Processor III (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe only plus is the 80 hours of sick leave you get a year. This can be used for your children, spouse, or yourself.

ConsBenefits are not good. Healthcare for a family of 5, I pay $495.00 per paycheck. Copays are $35.00, I am not sure why there are so many reviews saying the benefits are great. I left Bank of America to come here and my benefits were much better. I had 4 weeks vacation. Here I got 2 weeks. Healthcare was $305.00 per paycheck. Technology is outdated and management does not provide training and is not evolved at all. Good ole boys network. Branches might be different but corporate BB&T is AWFUL.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and leadership. Don't treat satellite offices like step children. If you are not in Wilson or TX then you don't exist.

I joined BB&T and the experience has been wonderful.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsStrength and Stability of the organization
    Culture- very focused on employee development

ConsI tried hard to think of at least one reason and was not able to come up with one.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BB&T

FInancial Center Leader III (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe Company inself is solid, with the bottom line always a focus.

ConsThe Central Virginia Leadership is comprised of the same type of person, gender, and age. There is no diversity and no decision making ability by the Area Managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for new and fresh ideas, outside your region on how to conduct business. Lead through inspiration.

Good benefits

Pros40 paid sick days, multiple paid vacation weeks

ConsThis is a male dominated industry making it very difficult for females to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexiable with schedules for moms and students

BB&T has great values and an awesome mission... but they don't live by it... actions speak louder than words

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

Pros- Benefits (pension and 401k)
    - Great HR department

Cons- Annual Performance plans 2% raise if a Very Good Performer? PATHETIC
    - Very low pay compared to other places
    - Terrible management
    - Managers are worked to death- averaged 12 hour days and worked Saturdays
    - Conference calls- how about work smarter, not harder? If you want sales performance, dont tie your employees up on a conference call that is pointless
    - No recognition
    - Managers who get recognized work in branches where everything gets handed to them
    - Dont work for the retail side
    - Senior management is selfish and wont promote you to a job you want if they want you to stay where you are.
    - Some how confidential conversations go public and all of the employees find out
    - managements lack of professionalism is hidden in the professional dress they want their employees to wear (panty hose? Seriously?... its 90 degrees outside)...
    - Overall..... they need new management- its important for employees to see that you care about your family as much as you care about your job....

Advice to Senior ManagementI do like Executive Management- but not the management in the CentralVA Region

Products and Ops Mgr

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsGood bank. In excellent shape financially compared to their peer group.

ConsNo management help in terms of advancing ones career.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow up to work and approach your fellow employees in regards to what can be done bettter at the branch level

Fantastic opportunities for just the right person at just the right time in their career.

Richmond, VA

ProsCompany reputation. If you are willing to move, great career opportunities for those willing to work extremely hard and smart.

ConsOverall it is a good place to work. In my case I have two managers for whom the word is a misnomer. I see other areas where employees are working well together and where common sense and respect rule. In my area one manager plays favorites while the other manager is not capable of adjusting to the fact that four or five of those who report to this manager are more capable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe values expressed as the way we do business are excellent. Lets get back to the basics in terms of how we treat each other but get more progressive with systems and processes. Truly review managers for their abilities.

At BB&T - Be Certain You can Cram 10 Hrs of Work into 7.5 of Paid Time Ea. Day!

Client Service Associate II (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsONLY reasons: Benefits are above average and provided at minimal cost to employees. Most low-earning workers are "hooked" quickly by the good health and life insurance offered and find it impossible to find comparable benefits elsewhere even though they hate their jobs.

ConsBB&T is only about what they can get out of their workers - most jobs expect 10 hours of work to be crammed into 7.5-8 hours of paid work a day. Work areas are cramped, surroundings are noisy with employees constantly being interrupted. Multi-tasking? That's a joke! Employees are expected to be doing at least three-four things at once while looking ahead to next week, next month, next quarter, and answering the phone!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave you really read a job description for a Client Service Associate from beginning to end lately?? Would any of you be willing to do that job on a daily basis? I doubt if any management person in our office could or would be able to keep up an account manager's desk for more than two weeks, much less make it through a complete renewal cycle with all tasks done, including proposals, accounts receivables, reports, endorsements, audits, and summaries all in a timely manner according to service standards set by the master - J. Dean.

Underpaid & Hopelessly Overworked!!

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

Pros"Status" job with excellent benefits package. Continuing education is promoted for all positions; liberal paid holidays, company-sponsored wellness program, but Krispy Kreme doughnuts every Friday!

ConsHEAVY workload, unreasonable management expectations of producers and support staff. Producers are held to new sales goals in soft market that are difficult to attain while under the pressure to retain >95% of renewals. Bonus for support staff is dependent upon these unreasonable goals, but we have very little control over the success or the outcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should re-assess the amount of revenue spent on support staff and find a way to increase it if they want to continue to meet their office sales goals in future years. The lack of qualified support staff and the reputation of BB&T as being a "sweat shop" will make it harder and harder to attrace any new employees.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BB&T reviews and ratings in Richmond, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BB&T CEO Kelly S. King. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by BB&T employees.