BBC

www.bbc.co.uk

BBC Reviews in London UK

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Tony Hall

Pros
  • The work/life balance is amazing (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent opportunities, great people, bosses are open to new ideas (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Far too many layers of management and hierarchy, stagnant workplace with a lot of people who remain in the org too long, difficult to get promoted (in 5 reviews)

• middle management & lack of security due to short term contracts (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
85 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Creatively satisfying

Runner (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExposure to people with great ideas who are committed to producing quality television.
    Opportunities to network and move up if you push yourself and try hard to meet people higher up the ladder.

ConsNot necessarily recognised for your potential because it is such a competitive field.
    Lots of bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore measures to help people at the start of their careers move up the ladder.

don't go there at the start of your career

Broadcast Journalist (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosfriendly place to work, interesting job, working with very clever people, as a current affairs journalist one can meet the most amaizing array of people who are shaping our world at the moment.

ConsIt used to be place where with the hard work and talent one can expect to progress in one's career. those days are over. salary is not the greatest and no pensions for newcomers.

Advice to Senior Managementget a grip!

Amazing talent, but not fully utilised. Moribund by red tape and lack of clarity

Strategy and Development (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- fantastic creative talent
    - opportunity to explore different fields and areas of work
    - great name to have on CV

Cons- Decisions based on whim and personality not business need
    - Internal customers outweigh external consumers needs
    - Vaulting ambition nullifies badly needed initiatives

Advice to Senior ManagementThe BBC needs to stop flip flapping and set its own agenda. Stop thinking commerce is a dirty word and do rather than pontificate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work in, just suffering of the classic big organisation problems

Architect (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat new stuff to work with, new technologies to experiment, ability to evolve as a professional, great work culture, senior board happy to investigate new opportunities, new technologies and new ways of working.

ConsLarge organisations are usually hard to navigate. Things do happen really slow unless you have a great manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid another major restructuring for the next three four years please and look inside the company for talent to solve your problems before splashing out on consultants..

Great team work - Appalling middle management

News Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking with a group of dedicated professionals who go out of their way to produce a hight quality result.

ConsAwful middle management who have no idea about what you do or how you do it. All they care about is trying to appease those directly above them and sit in endless meetings. Full of favouritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrip out the entire layer of middle management

Amazing mission, lots of passion & too many people trying to do too much.

Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Company benefits
    - Passionate people
    - Amazing projects
    - Good salary
    - Unionised
    - Lots of training opportunities

Cons- Command and control management stifle talent
    - LOTS of bureaucracy
    - Priorities change regularly
    - Money often directed towards people with pet projects rather than things of value to the public
    - Communication is poor

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your priorities clear and direct the money to the places where it will add the most value.

Fantastic organisation to work in. Looks after it's employees despite lots of change

Hop (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSupportive, career opportunity, creative environment

ConsSize and complexity of organisation sometimes distractts from it's mission. Office environment sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate clearly and simply, no whitewash

Good, with a touch of manic stress

Broadcast Technical Systems Specialist (Broadcast Engineer) (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAmazing environment to be around, the training is excellent and resources fantastic. A lovely diverse range of people, from all backgrounds. A great range of jobs and positions, one is never bored.

ConsVery limited opportunities for promotion. Senior Management seems a fixed and unmoving entity. Also salaries are practically frozen, not really any chances for pay rises.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be increased, with further opportunities to develop.

Great place to work

Senior Information Architect (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWonderful intelligent creative people, innovative ideas, adherence to best practices and professional standards, human-friendly work environment.

ConsThe salaries tend to be lower than market for many positions, especially in technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to remind staff that you know they are some of the best in the world.

Great

Intern (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFantastic working environment, great culture and an inspiring history to boost enthusiasm in the office.

ConsCan be bureaucratic at times considering the size of the organisation but the company is doing a lot to combat this.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work investing in creative arts programs.

Worked for BBC? Contribute to the Community!