BBVA Compass

Updated September 10, 2014
2.8

BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez
Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Pros
  • I found BBVA Compass to have a stable working environment with a great work/ life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, good work environment, upward movement for some (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The company still has work to do in improving work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is No way to pull sales list, but there are huge sales goals ex (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A solid company with good people, however mgt tends to focus on the bottom line over employees work/life balance.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Sales Advisor  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Sales Advisor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

After working with the bank for 5+ years the vacation offered was better then most. Staff always had a "team" spirit. Offer competitive products that benefit the client a great deal when compared to competitors.

Cons

Advancement to new positions/different dept. was a challenge. Incentives/rewards were broken down to reward all, leaving many to do a great deal of work for the same benefit as those who did very little.

BBVA Review

Current Employee - Financial Analyst IV  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst IV in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, not too stressful

Cons

pay scale. If you get a promotion to a new job you have to start at the bottom of the pay scale. if someone is hired from the outside they are usually put in the middle. This leads to employees that have been here for many years making less than a new person doing the same job. Because of this a lot of people try to leave and come back.

fix pay scale

I have learned a great deal here at BBVA Compass.

Current Employee - Consumer Asset Coordinator  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Consumer Asset Coordinator in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of exposure to different bank processes.

Cons

Job stability is questionable.
    Multiple jobs have been outsourced.

Better communication is needed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people and place to work

Former Employee - Exchange Administrator  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Exchange Administrator in Birmingham, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Everyone worked as a team even outside of your own group. The pay is on par to maybe a little higher than some.

Cons

Some of the managers could be a bit rude and headstrong. The environment has been going through a lot of changes in direction causing many people being reassigned or let go over the past few years.

Internal job openings are advertised for all to apply, but there is not enough feedback to applicants why you were not chosen. Sometimes you get no feedback at all.

Losing sight of your people

Current Employee - Collections  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Collections in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits package, vacation, company paid holidays

Cons

Zero work life balance, Seems to be losing sight of what makes the company tick which is the employees. Very poor communication from managers

Continued training is so important, fair and equal opportunity for everyone, Open, timely and honest communication is imperative. Get back to treating people as such and not just and SC#. Happy people equals high productivity, unhappy equals no productivity.

The Universal Banking model is a disaster

Current Employee - Na  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Na in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Since BBVA has taken over definite technology advances over the prior Compass Bank.

Cons

Where do I start? Complete reduction in staff while increasing of goals and responsibilities while decreasing compensation along with unreasonable sales goals.

The sales driven culture of BBVA Compass only encourages unethical behavior and the lack of any adequate staffing is decreasing morale in retail.

The DSOM is a micromanager. And there appears little opportunity for advancement. Numerous application internally do not even lead to job interviews after over 10 years of consistent production.

Abolition of anyone managing operations has added increased responsibility to sales staff which detracts time from ever growing unobtainable sales goals.

The vision of the company has not been shared with employees.

The sales driven culture of BBVA Compass has decreased customer service level. If its not revenue generating why should employee be compelled or excited about servicing clients.

All and all this job could easily drive a banker to the bottle.

Scrap the Universal banker model. It has failed elswhere and it will eventually fail in the US . We are not Spain.

Lots of politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay and benefits
    flexible work time

Cons

no new employee orientation to speak of, not like other companies I've worked at anyway
    too many chiefs, not enough Indians
    very, very political

Compensate the ones that actually do the work, not the managers they are already paid enough.

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They were good about allowing us to work from home when family problems arose, but once they were bought ou by BBVA, family did't seem to matter anymore

Cons

Starting pay was realy good, but don't expect a meaningful raise while there. If you wanted to move up in that organization, you had to quit, come back as a contractor, then they would bring you on as a manager for the department you were contracted to. BIG time good ol' boy politics in play there. If you are hired to perform a job, but can't do it, you will be promoted so that you as the new supervisor can hire somebody to do the job you were hired to do. RUN, don't walk away from any offers they make for employment.

Learn to evaluate the line level workers, pay them what they are worth to you, and quit fireing the good employees just because they know how to do their jobs better than the managers do.

It was a job

Former Employee - Head Teller  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Head Teller in Birmingham, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work well with school schedule.

Cons

Not all employees worked their share of Saturdays and Late Fridays

A good place to work, though not without problems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am a contractor and have been at BBVA for 3 /12 years. Overall, it is has been a great experience. My boss is the best I have ever worked with, and I have had good working relationships with many others. The upper management seems really driven to transform the company and turn it into one of the major banks in the US (The parent company is based in Spain and very successful there and throughout Latin America).

Cons

BBVA has some of the classic problems that beset large companies - many inefficiencies, some managers resistant to change, lack of good communication. One of the hardest things at the job is trying to find the person who has the knowledge I need in order to do my job. They also have a mindset of working with contractors rather than hiring full time employees. While there are advantages to being a contractor, I have long ago proved my value and have been frustrated that I can't secure an FTE position.

Worked for BBVA Compass? Contribute to the Community!