BBVA Compass

www.bbvacompass.com

BBVA Compass Reviews in Birmingham, AL

Updated Jul 28, 2014
BBVA Compass – Houston – “BBVA Compass Branch”

BBVA Compass – Houston – “BBVA Compass Branch”

BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Pros
  • I found BBVA Compass to have a stable working environment with a great work/ life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, good work environment, upward movement for some (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The company still has work to do in improving work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• There is No way to pull sales list, but there are huge sales goals ex (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good people and place to work

Exchange Administrator (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsEveryone worked as a team even outside of your own group. The pay is on par to maybe a little higher than some.

ConsSome of the managers could be a bit rude and headstrong. The environment has been going through a lot of changes in direction causing many people being reassigned or let go over the past few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal job openings are advertised for all to apply, but there is not enough feedback to applicants why you were not chosen. Sometimes you get no feedback at all.

Losing sight of your people

Collections (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsExcellent benefits package, vacation, company paid holidays

ConsZero work life balance, Seems to be losing sight of what makes the company tick which is the employees. Very poor communication from managers

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued training is so important, fair and equal opportunity for everyone, Open, timely and honest communication is imperative. Get back to treating people as such and not just and SC#. Happy people equals high productivity, unhappy equals no productivity.

The Universal Banking model is a disaster

Na (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsSince BBVA has taken over definite technology advances over the prior Compass Bank.

ConsWhere do I start? Complete reduction in staff while increasing of goals and responsibilities while decreasing compensation along with unreasonable sales goals.

The sales driven culture of BBVA Compass only encourages unethical behavior and the lack of any adequate staffing is decreasing morale in retail.

The DSOM is a micromanager. And there appears little opportunity for advancement. Numerous application internally do not even lead to job interviews after over 10 years of consistent production.

Abolition of anyone managing operations has added increased responsibility to sales staff which detracts time from ever growing unobtainable sales goals.

The vision of the company has not been shared with employees.

The sales driven culture of BBVA Compass has decreased customer service level. If its not revenue generating why should employee be compelled or excited about servicing clients.

All and all this job could easily drive a banker to the bottle.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap the Universal banker model. It has failed elswhere and it will eventually fail in the US . We are not Spain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of politics

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

Prosgood pay and benefits
    flexible work time

Consno new employee orientation to speak of, not like other companies I've worked at anyway
    too many chiefs, not enough Indians
    very, very political

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate the ones that actually do the work, not the managers they are already paid enough.

Bad place to work

Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThey were good about allowing us to work from home when family problems arose, but once they were bought ou by BBVA, family did't seem to matter anymore

ConsStarting pay was realy good, but don't expect a meaningful raise while there. If you wanted to move up in that organization, you had to quit, come back as a contractor, then they would bring you on as a manager for the department you were contracted to. BIG time good ol' boy politics in play there. If you are hired to perform a job, but can't do it, you will be promoted so that you as the new supervisor can hire somebody to do the job you were hired to do. RUN, don't walk away from any offers they make for employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to evaluate the line level workers, pay them what they are worth to you, and quit fireing the good employees just because they know how to do their jobs better than the managers do.

It was a job

Head Teller (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsWork well with school schedule.

ConsNot all employees worked their share of Saturdays and Late Fridays

A good place to work, though not without problems

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsI am a contractor and have been at BBVA for 3 /12 years. Overall, it is has been a great experience. My boss is the best I have ever worked with, and I have had good working relationships with many others. The upper management seems really driven to transform the company and turn it into one of the major banks in the US (The parent company is based in Spain and very successful there and throughout Latin America).

ConsBBVA has some of the classic problems that beset large companies - many inefficiencies, some managers resistant to change, lack of good communication. One of the hardest things at the job is trying to find the person who has the knowledge I need in order to do my job. They also have a mindset of working with contractors rather than hiring full time employees. While there are advantages to being a contractor, I have long ago proved my value and have been frustrated that I can't secure an FTE position.

Not happy here at all.

Teller (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsDecent benefits if you use them, some coworkers are nice, consistent hours

ConsMICROMANAGERS, many customers are nasty for no reason, unreachable goals, unrealistic expectations for the job title

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be able to lead by example. If you want us to do something, DEMONSTRATE. Don't tell us what to do and leave us in the cold with no resources.

Little work life balance

Vice President (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThe company is a good company overall and is far beyond its peers in technology and methodologies.

ConsThe company still has work to do in improving work life balance.

No opportunity for growth, Poor Management, Lack of Training Opportunities

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGood pay, Work life balance, benefits

ConsCompany is very poorly run; no true structure as things are always changing literally every quarter; layoffs are frequent; though tuition reimbursement is listed as benefit, it is not provided to eligible employees and is at manager's discretion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real managers with real management skills; hold management accountable for the high turnover rates; promote more from within; allow employees more training opportunities and provide them with the tools they need to do their job; Promote a bottom-up environment where employees are listened to. You are only doing your disservice by running top-down.

Worked for BBVA Compass? Contribute to the Community!