BBVA Compass
www.bbvacompass.com Birmingham, AL 5000+ Employees

BBVA Compass Reviews in Birmingham, AL

Updated Apr 6, 2014
BBVA Compass – Houston – “BBVA Compass Branch”

BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to work, though not without problems

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI am a contractor and have been at BBVA for 3 /12 years. Overall, it is has been a great experience. My boss is the best I have ever worked with, and I have had good working relationships with many others. The upper management seems really driven to transform the company and turn it into one of the major banks in the US (The parent company is based in Spain and very successful there and throughout Latin America).

ConsBBVA has some of the classic problems that beset large companies - many inefficiencies, some managers resistant to change, lack of good communication. One of the hardest things at the job is trying to find the person who has the knowledge I need in order to do my job. They also have a mindset of working with contractors rather than hiring full time employees. While there are advantages to being a contractor, I have long ago proved my value and have been frustrated that I can't secure an FTE position.

No opportunity for growth, Poor Management, Lack of Training Opportunities

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay, Work life balance, benefits

ConsCompany is very poorly run; no true structure as things are always changing literally every quarter; layoffs are frequent; though tuition reimbursement is listed as benefit, it is not provided to eligible employees and is at manager's discretion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real managers with real management skills; hold management accountable for the high turnover rates; promote more from within; allow employees more training opportunities and provide them with the tools they need to do their job; Promote a bottom-up environment where employees are listened to. You are only doing your disservice by running top-down.

Poorly ran company

Consumer Asset Processor (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat salary, friendly work envoirnment, good benefits

ConsA lot of miscommunication. People learn "policies" from different sources and no one is on the same page. The technology is extrememly bad in the mortgage division. Very inefficient and very poorly ran. Things do not get done correctly and customers continue to be upset because of problems caused by the poor communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the technology in the mortgage division and learn how to communicate as a company. Without consistent communication you will never succeed.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Little work life balance

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company is a good company overall and is far beyond its peers in technology and methodologies.

ConsThe company still has work to do in improving work life balance.

Worst Job ever!terrible hours, micromanagers, never let us use vacation time, mandatory overtime..like a sweat shop

Mortgage Banking Officer (Former Employee)
Homewood, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

Prosdecent pay, I don't have anything positive to add really, life experience taught me to never refer anyone to that company

Consdirty building in Homewood off of West Valley Avenue that was infested with cockroaches and in the ghetto. It was not safe. No covered parking. When it rained puddles all over. The managers micromanaged and the cubicles were so low there was no privacy, they had mandatory overtime and mandated when it was taken..mandatory work on Saturdays 8-12. Felt like a number on a report. Mangers didn't get to know the employees, only looked at a report

Advice to Senior Managementstop micro managin, get better office supplies and a better building. Allow people to work overtime on their schedule. If you don't trust them then don't hire them! Stop trying to be on them 24/7 and let people just do there job even if they do chat some with each other. Stop treating it like a sweat shop....it's a horrible place to work!!! and BBVA has layoffs at least twice a year...no one is safe there in their job and they are treated like pre-schoolers. Plus did I say how nasty the building was? The CEO notified us that 2000 people would be laid off over the next 2 weeks by an email!!! then met with people 20 at a time or so to give them a layoff slip...very impersonal

Not a good place to work for at all!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI can't speak for BBVA Compass as a whole, but I can speak for the department that I worked in. They fed us very often and I met a handful of good people. They were understanding when it came to family issues. Bank hoilday's are always a plus!

ConsThey are good at showing favoritism. If you are looking to work for a company(department) where you have to kiss ass to get recognized, then here is where you need to be. The more work you do, the less they respect and notice you. But kiss their asses and do one thing that they deem "great" and you're good to go. There is very little room for growth here. The pay is horrible. If the rest of the company is anything like the department I worked, I would never go back to this company. When I first started, we were told that we were not able to wear denim or "denim-like" clothing. Well, one day, I saw one of the ladies in upper management with a full "denim-like" skirt suit on. So I went to my manager and said something. She told me that I should "do as they say and not as they do." Ha, I knew this was not a company that I wanted to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees equally. Learn your company's values and go by them. Bye!

Marketing Intern

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood experience, pay was good for an intern. On site cafeteria. Very good resume builder with it being with the corporate office.

ConsLack of tasks to complete at times. Many last minute tasks that could have been assigned at an early time. Lots of bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your interns

Collections & Recovery

Collections (Current Employee)

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent pay if you don't have a degree, insurance satisfactory

ConsPretty much everything else. Horrible environment

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves

Excellent Place

Bank Teller (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Convenient Location
-Laid Back Atmosphere
-Business Casual

ConsI can not think of anything wrong with this company

Great Job

TQS (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than a year

ProsMany employees, Great environment. Great work

ConsNot all managers are the greated

Worked for BBVA Compass? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BBVA Compass reviews and ratings in Birmingham, AL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BBVA Compass CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by BBVA Compass employees.