BBVA Compass Reviews

Reset
3.6
BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez
Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Pros
  • work life balance is pretty good (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, good work environment, upward movement for some (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No Work/Life balance if you work at a branch (in 14 reviews)

• Complete reduction in staff while increasing of goals and responsibilities while decreasing compensation along with unreasonable sales goals (in 12 reviews)

1. A very positive experience

Former Employee - Branch Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first job as a bank teller and I was very pleased with how thorough and well done the training material was. I was very fortunate to work with a great, helpful, fun group of people. I also really appreciated having insurance and paid sick leave/vacation even as a part-time employee.

Cons

I said that the training material was good, but what wasn't good was how disorganized my training was setup. I feel this directly reflects on the manager who, although was a very nice, knowledgeable person,they were not organized or as much of a leader as I feel a manager should be. I was not given an official trainer (my trainer had had years of banking experience and did know what they were doing in that reguard, but knew nothing about what being a training mentor entailed. I felt like I was leading my own training). Once I was finally trained and back at my own banking center, I quickly realized how lacks and preoccupied my manager really was. These qualities were positive in some ways (they certainly were not micromanaging) but it would have been nice to feel like we could count on the manager on a more consistent, day-to-day basis (they were out of the bank more often than not, or sitting behind a closed office door--even customers were upset with the manager's lack of availability. )

Advice to Management

Be sure that your managers are actually leading their team members in the banking center. Being out at business meetings and such to close business deals that increase your bank's profit are important, but a manager who is present and available to the staff and the customers is what should matter the most. They may be the leader but they should still feel like they are a part of the whole team.

2. The company will take care of you in return for your performance. Overall a great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales & Service Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work schedule is great. Pay is competitive. Plenty of paid time off/vacation days. The company will take care of you in return for your performance. Overall a great place to work. Everyone here is extremely welcoming and helpful (very family like team).

Cons

The system we use is outdated and often goes down/slows down. An update to our system will make this place a perfect place to work.

Advice to Management

Invest into our platform system.

3. Sales and Service Advisor I

Former Employee - Sales and Service Advisor I in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Advisor I in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass (Less than a year)

Pros

I was in a level 5 branch my manager was phenomenal. Goals weren't bad at all

Cons

Working on Saturdays was the biggest con. We were the only branch open on Saturdays

5. Assistant Branch Manager

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time

Pros

Great benefits, 401K matching, some employees were great to work with

Cons

Managed by fear, Unrealistic expectations, did not pay bonus

Advice to Management

Not have intermittent culture, lay off the politics,

6. Great learning experience but lots of red tape and mixed messages on company culture.

Former Employee - Credit Products Officer - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Bank is large enough to gain experience with complicated deal structures. Lots of resources to complete a thorough underwriting.

Cons

Company culture was undefined and confusing due to many mergers and acquisitions of other smaller banks during the "Great Recession". Middle managers were able to get away with treating employees however they wanted without much oversight from higher executives. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Employees don't feel appreciated by middle level managers. Too much squeezing every last ounce of work from employees until they can't handle it anymore and leave. HR should look into why some groups have higher turnover than others. I bet you'll find a lot of it is because of bad management style my middle managers.

7. Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Banker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Banker in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass

Pros

Good benefits and well recognized

Cons

Too much change and very few customer

Advice to Management

Allow bankers to go out and look for business

8. Overall good place to work

Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager II in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Relationship Manager II in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass

Pros

There was a chance to move up if you put in the work and the environment, while competitive, was friendly.

Cons

Sometimes unrealistic goals were set and as I was leaving bonuses were starting to be reduced significantly

9. BBVA ruined Compass

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Plano, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BBVA is a much bigger company than compass therefore after the merger the firm grew stronger and one felt a sense of job security despite the rescission.

Cons

As a part of a conglomerate compass lost its customer service and what it was known for.

Advice to Management

Management is powerless, the orders come from Madrid.

10. Good pay, high stress level

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Benefits are average or better. Generally speaking, most of the employees are pleasant in spite of the working conditions.

Cons

There is a lack of work/life balance. Continual layoffs with no reduction in workloads is a recipe for disaster.

Advice to Management

"Best Place to Work" is only a slogan. When employees fear losing their jobs and are expected to perform the duties of more than 1 person because of annual (or semi annual) layoffs, they will never view BBVA Compass as a good place to work -- much less a best place to work.

11. BBVA Compas MBO / Loan Officer / Mortgage Banking Officer

Former Employee - MBO in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - MBO in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Processing was great. Had a good niche product.

Cons

Managers did not have experience in their fields. With rates going up they panicked and brought in managers from other retail outlets to manage mortgage banking officers. This didn't work for Chase and it will not work for BBVA. It's hard to tell your boss how to do his/her job.

Advice to Management

Take your current talent and promote people with potential to mid level managers. Bringing in non experienced lending managers is suicide.

RSS Feed </> Embed