BBVA Compass Reviews

Reset
3.5
BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez
Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Pros
  • work life balance is pretty good (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, good work environment, upward movement for some (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No Work/Life balance if you work at a branch (in 14 reviews)

• Complete reduction in staff while increasing of goals and responsibilities while decreasing compensation along with unreasonable sales goals (in 12 reviews)

1. Solid Company

Former Employee - Branch Associate in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Associate in Plano, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with at the Glen Eagles branch. Learned a lot about the banking business encouraged growth and deployed incentives.

Cons

I was a teller and while they weren't super high pressure to sell new products to customers, they did push it a little and require a small but reasonable quota each quarter, I believe. I feel that the pay was well under what it should have been for tellers, based on the amount of liability they have to lose their jobs by making mistakes. This happened to me after 13 months.

Advice to Management

Keep training great managers that care for employees and customers. I felt like part of a family there.

2. Just a number...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great Retirement benefits

Cons

You are a number on a piece of paper, length of service means nothing.

3. Sales Service Advisor

Current Employee - Sales & Service Advisor in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Advisor in Plano, TX

Pros

Entry level financial sales, no real experience needed

Cons

You will spend most of your time on the teller line. The attitude is sell, sell, sell...while there is little concern for the sub-par products and crappy customer support.

Advice to Management

Focus on service after the sale, and maintaining your current customers instead of coming up with the next shinny thing to gain market share.

5. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One appealing aspect in working for BBVA Compass was the support that I received from senior management. They are always looking to improve customer and employee relations by listening to the suggestions of the staff. The benefits are pretty good as well.

Cons

Could have better options on financial support for continued education outside the company's curriculum.

6. A very positive experience

Former Employee - Branch Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was my first job as a bank teller and I was very pleased with how thorough and well done the training material was. I was very fortunate to work with a great, helpful, fun group of people. I also really appreciated having insurance and paid sick leave/vacation even as a part-time employee.

Cons

I said that the training material was good, but what wasn't good was how disorganized my training was setup. I feel this directly reflects on the manager who, although was a very nice, knowledgeable person,they were not organized or as much of a leader as I feel a manager should be. I was not given an official trainer (my trainer had had years of banking experience and did know what they were doing in that reguard, but knew nothing about what being a training mentor entailed. I felt like I was leading my own training). Once I was finally trained and back at my own banking center, I quickly realized how lacks and preoccupied my manager really was. These qualities were positive in some ways (they certainly were not micromanaging) but it would have been nice to feel like we could count on the manager on a more consistent, day-to-day basis (they were out of the bank more often than not, or sitting behind a closed office door--even customers were upset with the manager's lack of availability. )

Advice to Management

Be sure that your managers are actually leading their team members in the banking center. Being out at business meetings and such to close business deals that increase your bank's profit are important, but a manager who is present and available to the staff and the customers is what should matter the most. They may be the leader but they should still feel like they are a part of the whole team.

7. The company will take care of you in return for your performance. Overall a great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales & Service Advisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work schedule is great. Pay is competitive. Plenty of paid time off/vacation days. The company will take care of you in return for your performance. Overall a great place to work. Everyone here is extremely welcoming and helpful (very family like team).

Cons

The system we use is outdated and often goes down/slows down. An update to our system will make this place a perfect place to work.

Advice to Management

Invest into our platform system.

8. Sales and Service Advisor I

Former Employee - Sales and Service Advisor I in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Service Advisor I in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass (Less than a year)

Pros

I was in a level 5 branch my manager was phenomenal. Goals weren't bad at all

Cons

Working on Saturdays was the biggest con. We were the only branch open on Saturdays

9. Assistant Branch Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time

Pros

Great benefits, 401K matching, some employees were great to work with

Cons

Managed by fear, Unrealistic expectations, did not pay bonus

Advice to Management

Not have intermittent culture, lay off the politics,

10. Great learning experience but lots of red tape and mixed messages on company culture.

Former Employee - Credit Products Officer - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Bank is large enough to gain experience with complicated deal structures. Lots of resources to complete a thorough underwriting.

Cons

Company culture was undefined and confusing due to many mergers and acquisitions of other smaller banks during the "Great Recession". Middle managers were able to get away with treating employees however they wanted without much oversight from higher executives. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Employees don't feel appreciated by middle level managers. Too much squeezing every last ounce of work from employees until they can't handle it anymore and leave. HR should look into why some groups have higher turnover than others. I bet you'll find a lot of it is because of bad management style my middle managers.

11. Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Banker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Banker in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good benefits and well recognized

Cons

Too much change and very few customer

Advice to Management

Allow bankers to go out and look for business

RSS Feed </> Embed