BBVA Compass
www.bbvacompass.com Birmingham, AL 5000+ Employees

BBVA Compass Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
BBVA Compass – Houston – “BBVA Compass Branch”

BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Pros:
  • "Great employee benefits, work life balance and opportunity for growth"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great team, great environment, great benefits"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company still has work to do in improving work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Well, one day, I saw one of the ladies in upper management with a full "denim-like" skirt suit on"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a job

Head Teller (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than a year

ProsWork well with school schedule.

ConsNot all employees worked their share of Saturdays and Late Fridays

a lot of potential but still ran short of average.

I have been working at BBVA Compass

ProsThere are a LOT of products to offer clients, for the most part.

Consunderwriting, absolutely brutal.
goals are not balanced properly with the company's abilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have personally been asked by upper management for market experience and where there are disconnects within the company, I hope they are successful with it.

A good place to work, though not without problems

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI am a contractor and have been at BBVA for 3 /12 years. Overall, it is has been a great experience. My boss is the best I have ever worked with, and I have had good working relationships with many others. The upper management seems really driven to transform the company and turn it into one of the major banks in the US (The parent company is based in Spain and very successful there and throughout Latin America).

ConsBBVA has some of the classic problems that beset large companies - many inefficiencies, some managers resistant to change, lack of good communication. One of the hardest things at the job is trying to find the person who has the knowledge I need in order to do my job. They also have a mindset of working with contractors rather than hiring full time employees. While there are advantages to being a contractor, I have long ago proved my value and have been frustrated that I can't secure an FTE position.

Be prepared to hear a lot of negativity in the workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh Base salary compared to other local banks. Role can be flexible. people work very hard to hit their weekly numbers. Some management cares about the employees.

ConsSystems are behind the times. Lack of training. People are in it for themselves, team work is non-existent here. Bank operates at such a high retail level, that they forget about keeping employees happy and customers happy.

I loved Compass Bank. Not so much when BBVA took over.

Business Relationship Manager II (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat managers, competitive salary, benefits were good. The leadership does not care about the staff. They care about $$$

ConsBBVA uses a model used in Spain. They will cut back on staff just to save money and re hire at lower salaries. They have no real direction. Glad I left.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

No opportunity for growth, Poor Management, Lack of Training Opportunities

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay, Work life balance, benefits

ConsCompany is very poorly run; no true structure as things are always changing literally every quarter; layoffs are frequent; though tuition reimbursement is listed as benefit, it is not provided to eligible employees and is at manager's discretion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real managers with real management skills; hold management accountable for the high turnover rates; promote more from within; allow employees more training opportunities and provide them with the tools they need to do their job; Promote a bottom-up environment where employees are listened to. You are only doing your disservice by running top-down.

Poorly ran company

Consumer Asset Processor (Current Employee)

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat salary, friendly work envoirnment, good benefits

ConsA lot of miscommunication. People learn "policies" from different sources and no one is on the same page. The technology is extrememly bad in the mortgage division. Very inefficient and very poorly ran. Things do not get done correctly and customers continue to be upset because of problems caused by the poor communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the technology in the mortgage division and learn how to communicate as a company. Without consistent communication you will never succeed.

Nice Place to Work

Financial Sales Advisor II (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for less than a year

ProsThe job has been fine. This may be due to having a great branch manager. Working bank hours is great. If you're in a slow branch there can be a lot of down time.

ConsTraining is not the best. 2 weeks of watching your trainer on a webcam. Training lacked product knowledge. How to bring in new business is also a challenge. Basically waiting for people to come in the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease training methods and education. We need to know how to do out job better without calling for help constantly.

A decent place to work

Bank Teller (Former Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I worked at BBVA Compass part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is nice and most coworkers are friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand when necessary. There are many opportunities for advancement if you are willing to put in the work.

ConsCustomers can be incredibly rude, especially when they are having financial issues. Also, management at times asks you at the drop of a hat to go sub in for employees that couldn't make it to work at other branches. When you are going to school while working, this can be very troublesome

Advice to Senior Management"Office Politics" run rampant at BBVA Compass. The work-life balance is fairly good, but if you make yourself overly available to pick up others shifts management will more than take advantage of that.

Pretty Good

Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of advancement opportunities if you're willing to learn.

ConsSALES! Systems are hard to navigate through.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore money

Worked for BBVA Compass? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BBVA Compass reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BBVA Compass CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez. All 183 reviews posted anonymously by BBVA Compass employees.