BBVA Compass

BBVA Compass Reviews in San Antonio, TX

2.9

BBVA Compass President and CEO Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez
Manuel (Manolo) Sánchez

Pros
  • They do try as best they can with the work life balance but gutting whole departments doesn't help (in 15 reviews)

• Hard work is rewarded, we have great benefits and growth opportunity (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be tricky, so good time management skills are important (in 14 reviews)

• There is No way to pull sales list, but there are huge sales goals ex (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good benefits, so-so management

Former Employee - Senior Teller in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits and pay, good working hours. benefits for part time employees

Cons

company changed a lot during integration with BBVA, sales policies changed and bank fees went higher which made customers more difficult to deal with

watch the bank fees

Dead in the market. A third tier bank living off fumes of former legacy banks. Eroding deposit share.

Former Employee - Vice President CML in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President CML in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large unit presence in the market

Cons

Unrealistic goals for a secondary Metro Market
    Lack of understanding of US banking competition and culture
    High turnover AT&T all levels

US has completely different banking culture; just because it works in Spain doesn't mean it translates here. Socialist democracy in Spain is pervasive mindset within US operations.

No work/life balance and does not care about their people

Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BBVA Compass full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to move up within the company is above average.

Cons

BBVA Management does not care about work life balance. They micromanage to a fault. Do not give people the ability to think on their own or outside of the box. They punish rather than reward or push for new ideas. Management leads with a very heavy hammer. I worked for Compass for over 15 years and have seen extreme decline in how employees are treated since BBVA purchased them in 2007 and re-branded in 2009. The upper/senior management states they want to be family friendly and push work life balance but they rarely if ever visit branches to see what is really going on. There are daily threats in reference to work performance. You are punished by taking away family time if you do not have the results they are looking for making you stay at work late into the evening hours or work more on the weekends. This change in how they treat employees led me to leave and after so many happy years there, the last few months were miserable. I haven't looked back with regret even once. They were once an amazing employer with happy staff. The morale is so bad it is thick with stress.

Give people autonomy to work independently and to offer ideas to better the business. Take into consideration work life balance. Reward good results don't lead with a heavy hand and demean others publicly or on conference calls. Take time to really get to know your employees individual strengths and work to utilize those strengths. Invest in the happiness of your workforce. Take time to find out what makes them tick and how to motivate them. Do an blind survey within the banking centers that allows employee comments to find out what really goes on each day, you may be surprised.

Compass

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass

Pros

good place to work, great benefits

Cons

not enough vacation time for personal/work balance

more time off would be appreciated

Strong bank

Current Employee - Banker in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Banker in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass

Pros

Strong bank with full service of financial products.

Cons

A large number employees are looking for differnent jobs.

Strong bank

Overall Good

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass

Pros

The best reason to work for Compass is the opportunity to for me to learn from really experienced bankers and businessmen. In the year that I have worked for the bank I have the opportunity to grow and expand my knowlege base.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of communication at times with top managers and lower level workers.

Advice I would give to senor managment is that there should be more cummunication on the direction and vision the company has for the future. It helps employees become more motivated when they feel like the company they are working for is going places.

BBVA Compass Photos