BC Transit

Updated October 16, 2014
2.6

CEO

Great Internship

Current Employee - Internship in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Internship in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BC Transit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with. Work life balance is perfect.

Cons

High stress. Pay is low, advancements are nill, projects are dull

Very good pay/benefits. Everything else is terrible and chaotic beyond my imagination.

I have been working at BC Transit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is very good and the benefits are as well. There are a couple small gyms on the two sites and you get a free bus pass for you and your spouse.

Cons

Everything is in complete disarray. Innovation is stagnant and creativity is not encouraged in the least. You'll receive some impressive material if you're a new hire and then it's sink or swim time! Odds are you''ll be sinker because there is an abysmal amount of infrastructure and guidance provided. From my experience your co-workers will be just as bad and so self-absorbed that you'll feel isolated in ways that will probably be new to anyone that comes from a healthy working environment. I've never worked in a place as bizarre as this and if I was paid any less I would have walked out after day one.

Repeat after me 'change is okay'. Leave some room for challenging ideas and encourage those that show some initiative. Not everything should be based on seniority. Call me crazy but logic and rationale debate have a role to play as well. Get into some candid conversations with disgruntled employees, they might have some wisdom for you. Their frustrations are real and their criticisms are opportunities to learn.

Frustration - Total Lack of Qualified Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BC Transit full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This Company offers excellent benefits, an on-site gym, and employee bus passes.

Cons

This Company is in disarray, There are constant departmental reorganizations. Qualified staff leave after a very short time. Senior Management lean towards a work environment which favors "yes" people and favorites. Very poor communication between upper management and staff.

Create an atmosphere of respect and teamwork. Listen to, and seek the opinion of, the people you have hired for their expertise, even when they aren't saying what you want to hear. Stop the favoritism and pay attention to all of your staff.

Not a place for the ambitious.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at BC Transit

Pros

Great benefits (including an on-site gym), co-workers and life balance. Culture is relaxed but still professional. Great location next to Gorge Waterway.

Cons

Senior management is completely disengaged from the operational core. Many passionate and highly-capable employees are not adequately utilized and often leave the organization out of frustration.

Find out who's actually making your organization run. Encourage (reward), measure and develop performance. Your best employees are not the ones with the 10, 15 and 20 year pins--they're the ones walking out the door.