BCAA Reviews

37 reviews filtered by
2.6
Paul Healey

1. Wonderful stepping stone company

Former Employee - Head Office Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Head Office Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-BCAA puts a lot of effort in its brand. Having BCAA on your resume will look good as long as potential employers don't know what's going on inside the company.
    -Co-workers
    -Pay and benefits are okay
    -Free parking at headoffice

Cons

-A lot of people in all levels of management are unqualified.
    -Prefers to hire external than promoting within.
    -Buggy systems
    -Low moral

Happy employees are willing to go out of their way to accomplish goals that will push the company forward.

Mixed bag of experiences under 2 CEOs

Former Employee - Home Office Employee
    Former Employee - Home Office Employee

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very collaborative environment - it's easy to just walk over to someone's deal or pick up the phone and ask for help. At least at the department I worked in, people are willing to lend a helping hand and work together to get things done.

Since new CEO's arrival in August 2014, the direction of the company has pretty much taken a 180, but not necessarily in a bad way. Renewed focus on providing value to members (and the whole "membership is rewarding" deal) is honestly a refreshing breath of air. A lot more corporate events and fun little team building activities (food drive, team lunches, bake sale, etc.) make working there pretty good.

The team I had the opportunity to work with was very fun, made some good friends. New CEO is also quite personable and has clearly sent the message that he is a more hands-on kind of guy (in comparison to previous CEO who may have been more distant) - you can see him going around head office quite a lot which was surprising. Also he has been encouraging more employee engagement among the departments which I've seen have a positive impact on the company culture.

Also a fast-paced, generally dynamic environment - a great place to work if you're the kind of person who likes to get things done. You always feel like your work has an impact and if you are lucky enough to work with some great managers, they will often champion for you.

Cons

BIG CON:
    This company doesn't deal with change very well.
    Coworkers who have been with the company longer than I have often complain that process changes are the hardest to implement and sometimes it's easy to be talking about a process change that should have been done 2 years ago. Lack of IT resources make it challenging to implement system wide changes of any kind.

Under old CEO, who was moved to another AAA subsidiary, there was a culture of fear and lack of openness. Many often afraid to speak out lest they get fired. More stoic than personable, and kind of sat from his Ivory tower.

With new CEO, change was inevitable. But it was immediate - department budgets were cut instantaneously...perhaps the new CEO's way of making a mark. Despite that, senior managers and top level brass were being shuttled to "Leadership Forums" and being put up at resorts and expensive hotels.

Favouritism runs rampant, sometimes unqualified people are promoted. Advancing at BCAA is a bit tricky, and can only really be done if a senior leader champions for you - sucking up is necessary. If you do move around, it's often without warning. With current "hiring freeze" and cost-cutting measures in place, many IT contractors (some who have been there for at least 2 years without benefits) were shown the door.

Also, with hiring freeze, BCAA would rather burden existing employees (who are pretty stressed out as they are) than fill the role with another person, even internally. Regardless of whether these people have an interest in the role.

Listen to your employees, and don't put too much red tape in front of them - many of whom just want to be able to do a good job. The lack of tools and all the onerous processes in place make it hard to be the "most trusted organization in BC, famous for doing the right thing".

Promote the right people and think whether they are qualified before giving them increased responsibility! Also, invest in your people!

BCAA Response

Feb 11, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at BCAA. We appreciate your honest candor and balanced approach. Your feedback is important and helpful to continue making BCAA a great place to ... More

Good place to work

Former Intern - Senior Technical Support in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Intern - Senior Technical Support in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly place to work at.
    Easy going
    flexible work schedule

Cons

Salary are at lowend
    all positions are taken
    no room for promotion

Times have changed.

Former Employee - Office Staff in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, vacation pay, bonuses, work environment and co-workers made for a good experience . Pension and benefits are offered although not great.

Cons

Senior managers only care about profit not people. Everything changed 5 years ago and has people on edge and unhappy. New management seems out of their element and over their heads.

New management feel they need to change everything to earn their keep. Listen to the employees. They deal with members and know what they want.

Positive Reviews From Marketing Department

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In 2012 BCAA was on the Top 50 employers to work for list. The CEO at that time had been fired from his previous position and used BCAA to pad his resume so he began cost cutting and introducing policies to increase the profitability of the organization. Several senior manager and staff that opposed changes had been fired and replaced with people that will follow as directed.

This resulted in a dramatic increase in low moral and higher turn over amongst the front line staff. In turn BCAA has not made the Best Employer list since and their ability to recruit staff has suffered In response the company has 1 staff member who is responsible for monitoring this site and other social media sites and to ensure positive comments/reviews are posted.

Cons

Having staff members and managers write positive reviews to combat "Disgruntled former employees" and "Negative People" shows that BCAA is not willing or able to address the staff moral and treatment of staff.

Stay the course. Your time will come some day.

7. Good resume builder

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BCAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are processes in place and the company is a respected brand. Work load can be heavy and there is not often communication on the end goals.

Cons

It's a big organization with large teams working together. With that, it's easy to feel anonymous and that your work is not recognized.

Road Assist Contact Centre

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BCAA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Roped in with decent pay and benefits. Lots of good coworkers. Free coffee, but it's terrible. Probably why it's free. Discounts on products is a plus.

Cons

Micro managed by "bean counters". If you produce good numbers, laugh at the managers jokes and be a "yes man" then your set. don't ever try to stand up for yourself, or into the office you go. But don't worry you get to leave feeling worthless. Managers seem scared for their jobs and seem to be doing everything their laffy "little" puppet master boss wants. The only reason people stay is the pay. Absolutely no love for the job anymore.

Bring in a new senior manager with proper training and life skills. Preferably one without a snarky attitude problem. THAT is the reason morale is at its all time low.

Uninspiring leadership in IS

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst

I worked at BCAA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Average pay and health care. Pension is available.
    I enjoyed working with a few of PMs and developers in few projects. They were really highlights in IS while working together and getting the job done.

Cons

I fully agree with the comment on Oct 22, 2014. Uninspiring leadership within Information Solution is turning talents away, failing to meet the project deadline.
    For software QA professionals, this is not the ideal organization to work with. This review is specifically subject to IS QA team, nothing to do with ex-CEO, new CEO or any other teams. I had to drop the hope and efforts to help to improve the QA process and practice in this organization.

I was fortunately to meet new CEO on the floor. His speech sounded promising to IS employees. My advice to management is that I hope new CEO can put his speech into action.

10. A Company Living by It's Values

Current Employee - Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BCAA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My experience with BCAA so far have been nothing but positive. From the get go, I had a great on-boarding experience. The company put a lot of effort planning and orienting new hires. Directors and VPs made time to drop in and speak at the orientation. On a weekly basis, my manager took the time to meet with me one-on-one to ensure I have the support/training I needed to succeed. My colleagues have been very supportive in showing me around and training me. I'm amazed at the time and effort that was input into training me and setting me up for success. BCAA is not like the companies I've worked for in the past or employers I've worked along with previously. Any company can write a great mission, vision, and value statement and tell the whole world, but very few can get their front line employee to believe it.

Cons

As with any large companies that have been around for more than 10 decades, company processes and structure can get complex as the size and operations grow over time. However, with a new CEO, the leadership team is ready to take action and work on areas that need improvement.

My day goes by pretty fast which means there's lots of work to do. However, I've never had to stay pass the traffic hour, this means workload is manageable. I prefer being occupied with work rather than feel like the day never ends. If you are looking for opportunity to grow, this is company to be with. Career/training map is available online for employees who want to development themselves professionally.

Ensure the staff are recognized and rewarded whether it's big or small. Grow your people (in the long run, it will only do the company good). A organization is only as good as the people in it. Having said that, do whatever it takes to help your people be successful. Starting from the front line, bottom up. Talk less, listen more and you will win the hearts of your staff.

If you want to grow and succeed, you might be better off looking elsewhere

Former Employee - IS Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - IS Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of talanted and honest people working in IT teams. Average pay with decent benefits and pension plan. Slow and relaxed work pace (37'5 hours per week). Good place to retire from and well-known brand with great roadside service.

Cons

It is a number driven company with uninspiring leadership because managers and directors have been promoted to a level far above their level of incompetence. Plenty of managers focused just to please their boss as they care for their own future only and forget about the future of their subordinates. Not a place for real professionals who want to make a difference or to be appreciated for his hard work and accomplishments. Company would rather lose and let people go than invest in making them successful.

Despite the CEO change, BCAA continues to be a command and control organization with decision making based on secrecy and favoritism. Transparency and two way communication is the key for change. Create a real leadership in managers and senior-leadership tiers. What matters is not your stated respect for people but your revealed respect for people.