BCAA

Updated November 26, 2014
2.8

Paul Healey

Good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly place to work at.
    Easy going
    flexible work schedule

Cons

Salary are at lowend
    all positions are taken
    no room for promotion

Times have changed.

Former Employee - Office Staff in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, vacation pay, bonuses, work environment and co-workers made for a good experience . Pension and benefits are offered although not great.

Cons

Senior managers only care about profit not people. Everything changed 5 years ago and has people on edge and unhappy. New management seems out of their element and over their heads.

New management feel they need to change everything to earn their keep. Listen to the employees. They deal with members and know what they want.

Good resume builder

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BCAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are processes in place and the company is a respected brand. Work load can be heavy and there is not often communication on the end goals.

Cons

It's a big organization with large teams working together. With that, it's easy to feel anonymous and that your work is not recognized.

Positive Reviews From Marketing Department

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In 2012 BCAA was on the Top 50 employers to work for list. The CEO at that time had been fired from his previous position and used BCAA to pad his resume so he began cost cutting and introducing policies to increase the profitability of the organization. Several senior manager and staff that opposed changes had been fired and replaced with people that will follow as directed.

This resulted in a dramatic increase in low moral and higher turn over amongst the front line staff. In turn BCAA has not made the Best Employer list since and their ability to recruit staff has suffered In response the company has 1 staff member who is responsible for monitoring this site and other social media sites and to ensure positive comments/reviews are posted.

Cons

Having staff members and managers write positive reviews to combat "Disgruntled former employees" and "Negative People" shows that BCAA is not willing or able to address the staff moral and treatment of staff.

Stay the course. Your time will come some day.

Road Assist Contact Centre

I have been working at BCAA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Roped in with decent pay and benefits. Lots of good coworkers. Free coffee, but it's terrible. Probably why it's free. Discounts on products is a plus.

Cons

Micro managed by "bean counters". If you produce good numbers, laugh at the managers jokes and be a "yes man" then your set. don't ever try to stand up for yourself, or into the office you go. But don't worry you get to leave feeling worthless. Managers seem scared for their jobs and seem to be doing everything their laffy "little" puppet master boss wants. The only reason people stay is the pay. Absolutely no love for the job anymore.

Bring in a new senior manager with proper training and life skills. Preferably one without a snarky attitude problem. THAT is the reason morale is at its all time low.

Uninspiring leadership in IS

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst

I worked at BCAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Average pay and health care. Pension is available.
    I enjoyed working with a few of PMs and developers in few projects. They were really highlights in IS while working together and getting the job done.

Cons

I fully agree with the comment on Oct 22, 2014. Uninspiring leadership within Information Solution is turning talents away, failing to meet the project deadline.
    For software QA professionals, this is not the ideal organization to work with. This review is specifically subject to IS QA team, nothing to do with ex-CEO, new CEO or any other teams. I had to drop the hope and efforts to help to improve the QA process and practice in this organization.

I was fortunately to meet new CEO on the floor. His speech sounded promising to IS employees. My advice to management is that I hope new CEO can put his speech into action.

A Company Living by It's Values

Current Employee - Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BCAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My experience with BCAA so far have been nothing but positive. From the get go, I had a great on-boarding experience. The company put a lot of effort planning and orienting new hires. Directors and VPs made time to drop in and speak at the orientation. On a weekly basis, my manager took the time to meet with me one-on-one to ensure I have the support/training I needed to succeed. My colleagues have been very supportive in showing me around and training me. I'm amazed at the time and effort that was input into training me and setting me up for success. BCAA is not like the companies I've worked for in the past or employers I've worked along with previously. Any company can write a great mission, vision, and value statement and tell the whole world, but very few can get their front line employee to believe it.

Cons

As with any large companies that have been around for more than 10 decades, company processes and structure can get complex as the size and operations grow over time. However, with a new CEO, the leadership team is ready to take action and work on areas that need improvement.

My day goes by pretty fast which means there's lots of work to do. However, I've never had to stay pass the traffic hour, this means workload is manageable. I prefer being occupied with work rather than feel like the day never ends. If you are looking for opportunity to grow, this is company to be with. Career/training map is available online for employees who want to development themselves professionally.

Ensure the staff are recognized and rewarded whether it's big or small. Grow your people (in the long run, it will only do the company good). A organization is only as good as the people in it. Having said that, do whatever it takes to help your people be successful. Starting from the front line, bottom up. Talk less, listen more and you will win the hearts of your staff.

Great people, great place to work!

Current Employee - Home Office Team Member
    Current Employee - Home Office Team Member

I have been working at BCAA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, work environment, total compensation, employee perks/recognition, training and career growth (if you are willing to put in the work). Our former CEO brought a much needed discipline to move the organization and its people forward. I am looking forward to see what the future of BCAA holds with our new CEO.

Cons

Legacy....change management is a challenge with some tenured employees. We can't live in the past if we want to move forward. We have to leave a better BCAA for those who will follow in our paths.

Increase cross functional teams - include team members from all divisions and levels.

Admin.

Current Employee - Administrative Agent in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Administrative Agent in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BCAA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is ok . Nice co-workers

Cons

Cant get time off for family events. Micro- managed. poor moral . Its a 'do as I say , not as I do ' place. Poor leaders . sell stuff and your fine , have a bad month and your hooped! . Culture is very poor. Staff not happy .

start from the top and cut poor leaders .

If you want to grow and succeed, you might be better off looking elsewhere

Former Employee - IS Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - IS Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at BCAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of talanted and honest people working in IT teams. Average pay with decent benefits and pension plan. Slow and relaxed work pace (37'5 hours per week). Good place to retire from and well-known brand with great roadside service.

Cons

It is a number driven company with uninspiring leadership because managers and directors have been promoted to a level far above their level of incompetence. Plenty of managers focused just to please their boss as they care for their own future only and forget about the future of their subordinates. Not a place for real professionals who want to make a difference or to be appreciated for his hard work and accomplishments. Company would rather lose and let people go than invest in making them successful.

Despite the CEO change, BCAA continues to be a command and control organization with decision making based on secrecy and favoritism. Transparency and two way communication is the key for change. Create a real leadership in managers and senior-leadership tiers. What matters is not your stated respect for people but your revealed respect for people.