BCL Technologies

BCL Technologies Reviews

4.3

Hassan Alam
1 Rating

Challenging and creatively stimulating environment

I worked at BCL Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Because the company is on the smaller side, I had the opportunity to participant in a variety of different projects that I wouldn't be able to pursue in a more corporate environment. I was given a lot of responsibility, and appreciated the chance to challenge myself creatively and intellectually. The lack of bureaucracy meant that projects proceeded relatively quickly, which was good.

Cons

If you are someone who enjoys working at a large corporation, this intimate work space (where you will know everyone on the BCL team) might not be the right fit for you.

Excellent company with long-term staff committed to it

Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer Malaysia and Strategic Advisor On Sales, Marketing, Products in San Jose, CA

I worked at BCL Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BCL is a silicon valley company that thrives on innovation and has industry-leading technology and enterprise-class products and technologies -- in pdf solutions, data analysis and extraction, natural language processing. BCL has an extremely loyal staff -- many employees have been with the company for 10+ years. It rewards its top sales performers handsomely, provides flexible work environments to its technologists, and keeps everyone engaged by working on cutting-edge technologies. BCL's staff is extremely diverse, and BCL fosters a non-heirarchical culture of collaboration and respect for the individual.

Cons

As a smaller company, BCL must contend with the challenges that come with that designation. It must invest prudently and rely on its staff members to be self-motivated and operate without lots of layers of supervision.

Continue to build on your technological strengths and maintain your informal meritocratic culture.

Brilliant Marketing Team & Positive Internship Experience

I worked at BCL Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Open communication is the norm in BCL's dynamic marketing team. As an intern, I strongly feel that I am an integral part of the team. Moreover, BCL graciously let me be involved in various areas of their marketing efforts. Definitely a good opportunity for interns who are looking to develop their skills.

Cons

No formal and systematic training provided.

Good People

I have been working at BCL Technologies full-time

Pros

Good place to learn new things and good for ambitious people. Very flexible, which is very important from a work-life balance perspective. Senior management is always open to inputs and suggestions from employees.

Cons

Flat and unstructured organization, with minimum training and supervision, which can be disconcerting especially to the unmotivated.

BCL also needs to work better with the media because I rarely see any news article about the great projects they have done.

BCL has been a great learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BCL Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- nice people to work with
    - learning new skills is encouraged

Cons

- you have to be a self motivator sometimes

Only work for this company if you don't have any other choices.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at BCL Technologies

Pros

Flexibility, but not anymore compared to before.

Cons

Receive no appreciation from upper management. If ever a word of appreciation, it sounds so fake. Management likes to wear mask.

Be sincere to your employees, after all, it's only a small company. It will only help the company if emloyees are being united rather than seperated.

Exciting, with high growth potential

I have been working at BCL Technologies

Pros

* you get to work with some of the most intelligent people you have met.
    * the company simply listens. They are attentive to make sure the employees work in a comfortable environment
    * industry competitive wages
    * Team setting, great way for someone to learn.
    * Huge growth potential for the sector that the company is currently in

Cons

* Would benefit from more team bonding experiences
    * other than that. Great job!

* Hire more people who are willing to put in the hours and get the work done. An influx of talented folks who are good at their field would be nice.

Pleasant working environment with friendly & helpful colleagues

Current Employee - Account Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at BCL Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Flexibility, as long as one is capable, one is given enough room to do the job with minimal supervision / proper guidance & help from the management & colleagues.
    - Opportunity to learn as you go, I haven't had similar experiences when I first started working here, but I was given the chance to learn on the job & am able to do achieve what's necessary with ample assistance from my helpful colleagues.

Cons

I have been working here since 2005, honestly, there is not much con that I can think of, I have been quite satisfied with everything all these years.

They could encourage all the employees to provide their two cents in how to bring the company to the next level, since the employees all come from different backgrounds & experiences before this, they may be able to provide opinions/suggestions that may be unique & useful to the situation.

Positive marketing internship experience

Former Employee - Marketing Intern
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern

I worked at BCL Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic environment with different assignments. The fun and smart co-interns added to the positive environment. Free delicious lunches on Fridays.

Cons

Older average age made it harder to connect with all the employees. Didn't have enough work to remain busy at all times.

Plan out internship more and include more team-based assignments.

Not for everyone, but good opportunity for those able to make something happen.

I have been working at BCL Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many of the 'pros' of working at BCL are the same things as the 'cons'. As strange as that might sound at first, it makes sense when you consider that this is a company where some folks can be very successful and where others will flounder.

Foremost of these pros/cons is that there is very little in the way of process at BCL. The pro side of this is that for those who don't need to be told what to do every step of the way, you're left with a tremendous amount of room to figure out what it takes to succeed. This can be scary, but a person with the ability and will to forge their own way will have a hard time finding an opportunity so wide open.

Another of these pros/cons is that BCL Technologies is a privately owned business. On the pro side, this is great because it allows management more of an opportunity to work with employees to figure out how to help them succeed since they don't need to make quick decisions to satisfy a board or investors. Additionally, there is more stability with private ownership as most initiatives need to get vetted before money gets thrown at them. While this does limit explosive growth, it also limits explosive decline (which is far more common).

Finally, compensation seems to be pretty competitive in all departments.

Cons

Two of the main Cons I started describing in the Pros section so I'll address the downside here as bullet points:

- Very little in the way of process: For those who need structure to function well you may have a hard time at BCL. There is very little hand holding and whether you sink or swim is up to you.

- Privately owned: This isn't always the bright and shining situation its often depicted as and can be a Con for two big reasons. First, with a single majority owner your primary direction and strategy will always come from one individual. The truth of the matter is that no one individual has the answers. This is why public companies have boards. Second, there is not a tremendous amount of spare cash sitting around to use for new initiatives. As such, new initiatives must be explored and vetted before BCL will put money into them.

Good communication is the key to making everything run smoothly. There should be more emphasis on this.