BCS

Updated Feb 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kenneth W. Boras

Decent company to work for.

I have been working at BCS full-time for more than a year

ProsOk benefits. Ok salary. Management is ok.

ConsOk benefits. Ok salary. Just an OK company to work for.

Good

I have been working at BCS

ProsNice to work in office

ConsVery minimal project exposure to me

These negative reviews sound like sour grapes

Senior Management Analyst (Current Employee)
Laurel, MD

I have been working at BCS full-time for less than a year

ProsSmall company
Senior management is easily accessible
Health benefits fully paid by the company
Opportunity to work on business development
Encouraged to look for new opportunities
Trust of management to work autonomously with the client

ConsCommunication could be improved
Lack of a Development plans for each employee

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving each employee a development plan allows them to feel more valued and not just a body to get a job done.

A great place to work with lots of talented folks that care about each other and the work that we do

I have been working at BCS full-time

ProsThis small company has been around for a while and built a nice base of clients and offerings. There is a significant focus on people - evidenced by benefits and how personnel engage at all levels.

ConsChallenges exist to continue to grow and diversify - similar to those among the very best in this business climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice the best of what got you here and stay open to and embrace change to keep the business vital and growing

Experienced management is a huge need but comes with what must be too high a cost

Management Associate (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at BCS

Pros- Medical benefit costs completely covered by company
- Puts you in great position to network
- Work with diverse group of people

ConsAll of this is in reference to working in Business Management / Budget Execution Group:

- Poor employee evaluation methods
- Compensation lower than that offered by competitors
- Inexperienced management that was professionally demeaning at times
- Client was dissatisfied with management's involvement in program and desire to grow my career
- Managers were unresponsive to emails
- Management did not accept responsibility for mistakes
- Management made very little effort in promoting fun working environment
- Management seemed concerned about only their careers and not those of their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementAnyone with a business background would recognize that the company has a weak infrastructure. The client I supported knew the company had very few growth opportunities, if any at all, and frequently suggested I look elsewhere for work. The Business Management / Budget Execution group has very inexperienced management (managers in their 20s) that are usually handling managerial situations for their first times. This has and will continue to make employees under them dissatisfied and will also deter company growth.

My suggestion is to hire experienced management from outside the company to manage this group. Growing employees organically only works if they are taking after good examples, but these good examples do not stay with BCS because the demeaning/inexperienced management and lower than deserved pay drive them away.

Company is downsizing; look elsewhere!

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at BCS

ProsYou have the opportunity to work on interesting and diverse projects. Good exposure to public sector consulting.

Strong IT for a company of its size.

Pays for all of your health insurance.

ConsPay is well below market average. Bonuses are rather arbitrary and only awarded if you bring in new business, not based on how well you do your job.

Management is extremely insular, and they don't understand effective operations processes.

They really don’t have any training or structured professional development for their staff. They have far too many young people leading teams and work that don't have any training or real leadership skills. Project leads have little skills in how to lead effectively or how to handle employees/teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites, develop training. Pay better. Hire some outside senior managers and don't let them go after 6 months.

Great place to work and grow

ProsGreat benefits - 100% healthcare costs covered
Ability to work on diverse topics and pursue topics of interest.
Ability to work with great colleagues that are hard working and extremely bright.
Promotions are based on proven abilities rather than simple seniority
The company always does what it takes to get the job done right.

ConsSlow hiring process
Tuition reimbursement could be higher
The work can be demanding, and at times can require that employees work overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers must focus on mentoring junior staff to sharpen their skills and help them grow professionally. In addition looking for outlets to provide recognition for staff would be good.

RUN- quick

I have been working at BCS

ProsDecent health benefits - pay fully for health care
Decent exposure to interesting projects/ public sector consulting and clean energy field for a recent graduate

Cons- My greatest criticism is that the management is incompetent. Some managers are only in their twenties (working with clients in their fifties-- can make clients scratch their heads). I don't believe any management have MBAs. If they do, you wouldn't know it because it is evident that the general business knowledge among management is absolutely sub-par. They do not foster ideas from employees who are knowledgeable and have had experience at other similar companies. They seem clueless about how to manage people, motivate business development, and inspire the company. If you are interested in learning from solid management with diverse backgrounds in this field, you will not find that here.

The company had good growth (for a small company) from 2008 through 2010, but stagnated and has recently laid off employees. I now often question if the company will survive and most of my colleagues are searching for jobs (hence why I am on this site).

With federal budget pressures, my impression is that clients question BCS's technical skills and may be looking to competitors for work. (why I say, RUN)

Other criticisms:
- High turnover rate
- Unprofessional environment
- Reviews are a joke- management seem incapable of providing constructive feedback and fostering professional development
- Questionable billing practices
- Pay is well below market average
- Job security is weak (very upsetting to many of my colleagues, especially in this economy)

Advice to Senior Management- Develop business practices and hire managers who have MBAs and/or worked at large companies and have more experience in running a successful business with happy employees (who feel secure in their jobs!)
- Don't hire twenty something year old managers and expect to go far business-wise (with existing and new clients)
- Improve pay
- Foster professional development - specifically with younger staff

Growing Company with Opportunity for Career Growth

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Arvada, CO

I have been working at BCS

Pros- Great colleagues
- Lots of internal opportunities
- Company is growing and makes changes as needed to continue succeeding
- Projects can vary, making work interesting and different each week

Cons- Some do not like the expectation that employees should put in extra hours to develop proposals for new contracts
- A fast growing company can experience growing pains, such as a greater need for IT support for employees
- Promotion and bonus structure are not defined well enough

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does great work overall. Very enjoyable workplace and interesting projects. It would be nice to have a more organized way of showing our work on proposals, as well as a more clearly defined bonus and promotion structure. Nobody really knows what is going on or what to expect.

Low pay, bad management

I have been working at BCS full-time for more than a year

ProsDC location is really close to the metro station. McPherson metro station. Small company.

ConsTeleworking frowned is frowned upon.
Management only cares about the amount of hours billed to client, not the satisfaction of the employee.
Reactive company. They wait until problems occur to fix it.
Salary is about 10,000 lower than its competitors.
Management does not give feedback.
Most employees feel unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on retaining employees. Establish a career path for growth. Managers should manage.

Worked for BCS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BCS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BCS CEO Kenneth W. Boras. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by BCS employees.