BCS

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.6

Kenneth W. Boras

Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I have been working at BCS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok benefits. Ok salary. Management is ok.

Cons

Ok benefits. Ok salary. Just an OK company to work for.

BCS put me with a very difficult client and failed to support me in this difficult position.

I have been working at BCS

Pros

coworkers are very smart, skilled people who are pleasant to work with. growing company with lots of young people.

Cons

promises during job negotiation including benefits, salary increase, and work location, were not kept by BCS.

Unambitious leadership and limited career grwoth

Former Employee - Management Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at BCS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent experience learning the client facing role at Department of Energy
    People at the company are motivated and intelligent

Cons

Leadership is not motivated to grow the business because of fear of losing small business contracts
    Most employees are on the client sites and are disconnected from the HQ which is way out in Laurel, MD
    Very limited growth potential for young professionals
    Work is monotonous government consulting

These negative reviews sound like sour grapes

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Laurel, MD

I have been working at BCS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small company
    Senior management is easily accessible
    Health benefits fully paid by the company
    Opportunity to work on business development
    Encouraged to look for new opportunities
    Trust of management to work autonomously with the client

Cons

Communication could be improved
    Lack of a Development plans for each employee

Giving each employee a development plan allows them to feel more valued and not just a body to get a job done.

Good

I have been working at BCS

Pros

Nice to work in office

Cons

Very minimal project exposure to me

A great place to work with lots of talented folks that care about each other and the work that we do

I have been working at BCS full-time

Pros

This small company has been around for a while and built a nice base of clients and offerings. There is a significant focus on people - evidenced by benefits and how personnel engage at all levels.

Cons

Challenges exist to continue to grow and diversify - similar to those among the very best in this business climate.

Practice the best of what got you here and stay open to and embrace change to keep the business vital and growing

Experienced management is a huge need but comes with what must be too high a cost

I worked at BCS

Pros

- Medical benefit costs completely covered by company
    - Puts you in great position to network
    - Work with diverse group of people

Cons

All of this is in reference to working in Business Management / Budget Execution Group:

- Poor employee evaluation methods
    - Compensation lower than that offered by competitors
    - Inexperienced management that was professionally demeaning at times
    - Client was dissatisfied with management's involvement in program and desire to grow my career
    - Managers were unresponsive to emails
    - Management did not accept responsibility for mistakes
    - Management made very little effort in promoting fun working environment
    - Management seemed concerned about only their careers and not those of their employees

Anyone with a business background would recognize that the company has a weak infrastructure. The client I supported knew the company had very few growth opportunities, if any at all, and frequently suggested I look elsewhere for work. The Business Management / Budget Execution group has very inexperienced management (managers in their 20s) that are usually handling managerial situations for their first times. This has and will continue to make employees under them dissatisfied and will also deter company growth.

My suggestion is to hire experienced management from outside the company to manage this group. Growing employees organically only works if they are taking after good examples, but these good examples do not stay with BCS because the demeaning/inexperienced management and lower than deserved pay drive them away.

Company is downsizing; look elsewhere!

Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at BCS

Pros

You have the opportunity to work on interesting and diverse projects. Good exposure to public sector consulting.

Strong IT for a company of its size.

Pays for all of your health insurance.

Cons

Pay is well below market average. Bonuses are rather arbitrary and only awarded if you bring in new business, not based on how well you do your job.

Management is extremely insular, and they don't understand effective operations processes.

They really don’t have any training or structured professional development for their staff. They have far too many young people leading teams and work that don't have any training or real leadership skills. Project leads have little skills in how to lead effectively or how to handle employees/teams.

Don't play favorites, develop training. Pay better. Hire some outside senior managers and don't let them go after 6 months.

Great place to work and grow

I have been working at BCS

Pros

Great benefits - 100% healthcare costs covered
    Ability to work on diverse topics and pursue topics of interest.
    Ability to work with great colleagues that are hard working and extremely bright.
    Promotions are based on proven abilities rather than simple seniority
    The company always does what it takes to get the job done right.

Cons

Slow hiring process
    Tuition reimbursement could be higher
    The work can be demanding, and at times can require that employees work overtime.

Managers must focus on mentoring junior staff to sharpen their skills and help them grow professionally. In addition looking for outlets to provide recognition for staff would be good.

RUN- quick

I have been working at BCS

Pros

Decent health benefits - pay fully for health care
    Decent exposure to interesting projects/ public sector consulting and clean energy field for a recent graduate

Cons

- My greatest criticism is that the management is incompetent. Some managers are only in their twenties (working with clients in their fifties-- can make clients scratch their heads). I don't believe any management have MBAs. If they do, you wouldn't know it because it is evident that the general business knowledge among management is absolutely sub-par. They do not foster ideas from employees who are knowledgeable and have had experience at other similar companies. They seem clueless about how to manage people, motivate business development, and inspire the company. If you are interested in learning from solid management with diverse backgrounds in this field, you will not find that here.

The company had good growth (for a small company) from 2008 through 2010, but stagnated and has recently laid off employees. I now often question if the company will survive and most of my colleagues are searching for jobs (hence why I am on this site).

With federal budget pressures, my impression is that clients question BCS's technical skills and may be looking to competitors for work. (why I say, RUN)

Other criticisms:
    - High turnover rate
    - Unprofessional environment
    - Reviews are a joke- management seem incapable of providing constructive feedback and fostering professional development
    - Questionable billing practices
    - Pay is well below market average
    - Job security is weak (very upsetting to many of my colleagues, especially in this economy)

- Develop business practices and hire managers who have MBAs and/or worked at large companies and have more experience in running a successful business with happy employees (who feel secure in their jobs!)
    - Don't hire twenty something year old managers and expect to go far business-wise (with existing and new clients)
    - Improve pay