BD

BD Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza

Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance(in 33 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely slow in decision making(in 13 reviews)

• R&D engineers in Medical Surgical Systems completely distrust management(in 8 reviews)

nice work place

Lab Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of smart people and they all try to help each other.
    nice office environment and very clear instructions from supervisor.

Consno room for young people to grow.
    This is good company for young people to put their resume as work experience.
    not for growing internally.

Advice to Senior Managementyou seems to be a kind person but I could feel that you never interested to young people.

Very positive experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture is top notch, people are outstanding, Facilities are excellent, compensation is very good with solid short and long term benefits.

ConsUSA/HQ focus, process inefficiency, very lean for some functions, work life balance is a challenge, limited global mobility, relocation not promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more global mobility

Overall good experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome excellent managers, freedom and resources to cross-train.

ConsSome inefficiencies of a larger company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

World class change and chaos.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a big company and fairly secure jobs. Very few lay offs. Just be a yes man.

ConsThere are constantly new managers. The managers that stay are the seminar grads just repeating what they heard at the last meeting. The ones that leave just padded their resume and leave behind their broken mess for yet the next new hapless manager to break even further.
    The mismanagement has driven away and squandered all of their technical talent and experience. There is not even the expertise to train the new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is what happens when the money you save for the shareholders comes directly out of the pockets of the people you depended on most. It took years and a lot of company assets to develop the talent and experience your new managers did not value. Now it is gone. Even the good new hires leave before you can complete their training and get a return on that investment. In order for the master plan to work you need to retain employees long enough for you to see it through.

Hard core politics with Home Office

Director, WW Manufacturing Support (Former Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsGood pay, I had the freedom to do my job without much interference and with support when I needed it. Many good people work there.

ConsKiller politics among Directors and Vice Presidents in Divisions and at Corporate. No job security We were told that management did not value our work and loyalty. Purges through early retirement that destroyed managerial follow through and organizational continuity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to your annual business plan for more than two quarters before selling out and mortgaging the following year's first quarter. At least that was how it was when I was there.

Great place to work with the draw backs of a large corporation

Product Manager (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsUpward mobility
    Varied opportunities in location and job description

ConsSlow moving
    Heavily process oriented can become frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

BD Diagnostics North Carolina

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mebane, NC

ProsOverall good place to work, good compensation and benefits.

ConsYearly (RIFs) reduction in force. A bit too much indecision and lack of clear direction at VP level and above.

Advice to Senior ManagementFull vet decisions, i.e. plant transfer/moves, before making annoucements to general employee population. Looks clumsy when executives have to come back and basically change direction because not enough due diligence was not done.

Traditional company, treat people well but lack innovation.

Scientist (Former Employee)

ProsTreat people well. Steady job.

ConsLack innovation. At times too rigid.

Great company culture and facilities at the headquarters in Franklin Lakes New Jersey. Only Interned

ProsCulture, People, Facilities, Work Life Balance

ConsNot technical enough for me

Good company to work

Clinical Project Lead (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCollaborative environment, high quality and talented people

ConsProcedure oriented, slow innovation, slow to adapt

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!