BD Reviews in Franklin Lakes, NJ

Updated August 15, 2014

3.3

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza
Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely slow in decision making (in 13 reviews)

• R&D engineers in Medical Surgical Systems completely distrust management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic Summer Internship in IT

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful Campus - great cafeteria, great gym, dry cleaning on premise
    Friendly people
    Summer Hours - leave early Friday or come in late Monday
    ITLP program (Information Technology Leadership Program) is extremely well organized

Cons

Outdated project approval process - being updated

Continue offering opportunities for ITLPs to travel to other locations. It is a big 'plus' for the program.

Good Company to work for if you are full time employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very good work life balance
    Relax work environment
    Decent benefits
    Beautiful campus (NJ headquarter)

Cons

First, I can only comment in the IT department. Most of the PROS listed in the above are for employees only. If you are consultant, you will be treated as 3rd class citizens; not even 2nd class. From over 8 years of working in the Healthcare industry, this is the least respected place that treated consultants. I've been consulting for years, this place always try to remind you that you are not part of their team, not part of this company. In a sense, those reminders are really unnecessary. Maybe it is just the group that I worked with. Anyhow, meetings and updates are for employees only even you work in the same group/team; you are not invited to 99% of their meetings or activities. If you are consulting here, you will not feel you are needed. Even interns are being treated with much better attitudes and respects. And you know what, these interns very soon learn this attitude from the management and start looking down on contractors as well. This just makes me laugh. What a bunch of spring chickens.....
    Many people working in the IT area that are old school, finger-pointing type instead of work together to get things done. IT outsource company work quality is pretty pathetic; unprofessional is an understatement.

The team that I worked with are nice people overall but they have no people management skill, does not know how to motivate the team. If you are consultant, you are not encourage to express your opinion, not that you will be shut down but you will be ignored.
    Words for management, be fair and be respectful to ALL and not just employees.

Good training for employees

Current Employee - Procurement  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Procurement in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are helpful when needed.

Cons

Can be a very political environment

Listen more to employee suggestions

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mixed bag.

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Consultant in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great products, interesting technologies, and some great folks at HQ and the various BDX sites.

Cons

Significant red tape and layers constraining the ability to get the job done. Tremendous expenditure of "energy" to break through various barriers and also working with a few challenging personalities (at HQ and sites). Conservative mind-set of managers. Not all of the BDX sites "buy in" with what HQ proposes.

Give hiring managers the power and decision abilities they once had to hire new candidates or in hiring candidates from within. Break down the barriers between HQ and the various BDX sites to make projects work smoother, easier, and more quickly. Support diversity but don't hyper-focus heavily upon it.

Corporate America at its best!

Former Employee - Choose Not to Reveal  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Choose Not to Reveal in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful facility! Wonderful cafeteria! Company is health and environmentally conscientious. Great working conditions with modern, up to date tools.

Cons

Extremely nice people in a very corporate world makes decisions difficult. The "hierarchy" is very evident. Too many temps, they need to hire full time employees; I feel like I train 3 days a week!

Stop filling the gaps with temps and really hire people. Surely it cost a lot more to use temps and its not a good reflection on the company as a whole to the community. You can have all the "service" days you want to "help the community" but hiring full time employees is best. Last bit of advice: Get over yourselves! The campus is nice but you NEVER get to walk the grounds! Lighten up!

Good industry and company - not a place for an HR career

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great industry and commitment to helping others. Most functions, outside of HR, generally well-run. Beautiful office campus.

Cons

Highly political and biased decision making in internal promotional/selection and rewards - relatively high HR turnover in the U.S. HR senior management has little to no interest in HR being an employee advocate as they are highly focused on being "strategic" only. Little to no value for lower level employees (entry level staff, hourly/support) long terms employees - very prone to thinking who's new/young will be better. They tout diversity - but the interpretation is very narrow and applies to being diverse in race only and results in overall narrow-minded thinking.

Get some new outside talent to lead HR - leaders who will challenge management to see the true meaning of diversity and really living the core values - not just using values as a marketing tool.

nice experience

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Scientist in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nice working environment, great team work

Cons

compensation does not quite match the work loading or education level

Opportunity to work globally and develop with others.

Current Employee - Director  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Medical Device Industry, respectful, professional

Cons

Decision making by consensus. Generally risk averse.

Make a decision; protect the core businesses and products proactively. Opportunity to manage infrastructure more effectively.

Narrow minded same old school boys company

Current Employee - Data Security Analyst  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Security Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

good faclities and crifetaria but it gets old .. quikcly

Cons

I worked for 2 years for Global Security Management group as employee from minority background and my experience was pathetic.Old school boys and girls keep their territory safe and do not share or let any young employees advance or perform well on job. "Not welcomed here" kind of attitude that I always felt. Not only to say, the most of time colleagues in group and manager both did not want to share any job relevant information but I found them showing lack of cooperation, collaboration and professional attitude. I found it hard to believe that manager was favoring employees without any knowledge base or experience in SAP application just because they have more number of years with company and from old school. Extremely narrow minded old school boys and girls trying to prove themselves better than anybody in the group and not ready to listen any minorities in the group. I also tried to transfer to other group to enhance my skills but did notice that managers in group were only supporting their old school boys and girls to develop skills and keep job secure. Working for this company was eye opening experience, as I realized it was not me all these years who was having issues on job, but what GROUP in company you work also decide your performance and how long you can stay with company. Company is good but it depends on what group do you work.

wake up and involve HR now to clean up old and rusted employees from Global Security Management group. Enough is enough. Company is good and do not let groups like GSM/ICM ruin company reputation.
    Either dissolve the groups like this or bring in good managers.

Strategic minds have large opportunity to impact change but consensus culture delays and can be frustrating.

Current Employee - Strategic Innovation  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Strategic Innovation in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong commitment to improving people's health permeates organization and motivates employee efforts, organization is committed to growth, people are friendly, collaborative, and loyal to BD.

Cons

Consensus driven organization delays change, brings slow pace, and prevents action - even if strategically clear.

Empower decision-making at lower levels. Some programs delayed by senior leaders' schedule rather than strategy not being developed.

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!