BD

Updated January 30, 2015
2.9

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza
Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance (in 41 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance leaves something to be desired, but it depends on your position (in 7 reviews)

• Decision-making is sometimes a slow and circular process (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Summer Intern

Former Intern - Summer Associate in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Intern - Summer Associate in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great company that has consistently grown through the years. The name carries a lot of weight in the industry, so it seems like it would be a great jumping off point for a career. Real resume builder. I can't speak much as to potential for further career growth but I was consistently impressed with management level employees that I encountered which means they must be doing something right. The pay was good and there is some flexibility in working hours.

Cons

Like any big company, it can be hard to stand out and you may sometimes get frustrated with the slow and bloated pace of work. Communication is lacking at times and in some areas there are pretty heavy office politics. Also, it can be difficult to navigate the healthcare industry if you are working in marketing or production areas. Heavy industry regulations mean that there is not much room for creativity and that everything you do on the public side will be heavily scrutinized.

Work harder on meritocracy. I felt like some people were there simply to punch their hours and get home. Others worked hard but saw little reward, at least in the time I was there. For interns specifically, keep doing what you're doing. The programs provide a great experience and foster future cooperation and friendships.

R&D Engineering Lab Intern

Current Intern - R&D Engineering Lab in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Intern - R&D Engineering Lab in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

BD has a very corporate culture, with a lot of workers trying to climb up in the company. The Franklin Lakes location has over 2000 people, so there is a very wide range of types of people. There are the completely introverted people who don't speak or look up in passing, there are the outgoing, friendly socialites who will introduce themselves and wish you good luck on your first few weeks, and there is everything in between. The R&D department is very laid back, with lots of great people who don't get too crazy about the job. You're sort of left on your own to get your work done, but what is expected of you is clearly laid out. There is a lot of work to be done, but it's not stressful. Everyone is willing to give a helping hand or help solve a problem. The on-site gym and cafeteria are good perks, too.

Cons

If tests need to be run for the next day and you're not finished in eight hours, you're going to be in the lab until the tests are finished. Fluorescent lighting and stale office air can be taxing for eight hours a day, but this is one of the most easy-going jobs I have had. I am an engineering lab intern, so that explains some of the relaxed attitude, but from what I see and hear no one gets too stressed out on the job.

Since I'm an intern I won't be dealing with management too much, but R&D has an open door policy with anyone in charge. If their office door is open, you can walk in and chat about whatever you like.

Decent place to work - if they'd hire!

Current Contractor - IT Function in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Contractor - IT Function in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, good cafeteria, and the people are really nice! Work-life balance seems to be good for most positions. There seem to be lots of perks for associates, and discounts. I was a consultant, so unfortunately they don't apply to me. Things will be changing in the future, and it seems like the changes will be positive. There are many different types of positions, so it would seem there's a lot of opportunity here, especially in scientific or technology positions. In addition, there are BD locations all over the world, so probably the ability to relocate if desired. Lots of emphasis on health here, including a nice gym on site, and healthy entrees in the cafeteria. I like the work and enjoy my team, and am still holding out hope that perhaps I'd be brought on (I've already been extended twice). A lot of the older employees talk about a pension, but I'm not sure if that's an old policy or whether everyone gets that....if I find out I'll edit this review :)

Cons

Unfortunately, they rely a lot on temps and consultants. Long term, and by many temps. For example one position that it seems many people rely on, has been held by a lineup of temps for over 10 years. Almost 1/3 of the staff at HQ is a temp or consultant. Sitting by finance, you hear a lot of chatter about "headcount"... which leads me to believe the concern here is keeping headcount low to appear better financially, which is an unfortunate practice. Also, I hear staff grumbling about the switch to high-deductible plans this year, most complaining that their out of pocket costs have been increased by $2500-$5,000 depending on which plan they chose. Also, the decision making process here for various things is torturous. There's a lot of "old school" people in charge, who don't seem to care or realize new ways to market or do things, thus, a lot of things don't get looked at that should, such as the website, network, etc... This is starting to be noticed, so hopefully it will change. People have started to grumble b/c a lot of other companies are offering the ability to work remotely, but many managers are resistant to that at BD.

Hire! Seems like a lot of departments are overloaded, and could use some headcount. Things are falling through the cracks b/c there are not enough associates to cover the work needed. Stop relying on temps b/c then what happens is things fall through the cracks and get behind in the transition time from one temp to another (yearly). If a position has been filled by a temp more than once, it needs to become a full-time opportunity. Remember who makes BD a great company - the employees! Don't cut corners on benefits, amenities, etc... and make employees shoulder it. And stop treating temps like they have the plague.... For the most part, the temps and consultants that are there are working hard...and already don't have job security, health insurance, or paid time off.....so at least let them enjoy some of the great perks that employees have while they are there. It's not their fault they are there as temp/consultants, and they are fulfilling a valuable role at BD. Also think future! Put more emphasis on the website for marketing! BD Biosciences in Cali does a good job of this b/c they sell online, but the tendency is to ignore the website for the other businesses b/c they don't sell online....However a good web presence is how people get familiar with your product and get the information they need.... if they don't find it on your website, they will find it on the competition's.

Full of BS, Politics - highly non-technical "technical" leaders

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Only pro I can think of is a good work-life balance - most folks dont show up to work until 10AM or later and most folks leave at 4.30PM.

Cons

There is no value for technical folks. Use of worst practices especially when it comes to product design.

Please get rid of folks in management (many directors and senior managers) who are just "coffee drinker" managers. They just sit around and do politics and drive people without any clue of what they are doing. Their aim is to get credit and move up in the ladder at the cost of the hard work of others (especially technical folks). This is 100% true with BD Medical Medical Surgical Systems. Even corporate shared services such as corporate CAE is full of BS and hand waving without any technical substance. People are so politically connected and it is almost impossible to do the right thing against these useless people.

You can not make your career in BD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Big facility in FLAKS
    Gym at work

Cons

Hire and fire policy.
    No clear vision of senior management
    Worst HR policies
    No work life balance
    No path to move your career up
    New CIO sucks

Have a clear vision before hiring and employee. Try to remove the beurocracy Have a clear direction and define the roles and responsibilities. Also, Pl define the scope of work for your employees.

Awful

Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent amount of vacation days/sick days

Cons

Awful management that doesn't care about your individual needs. Instead of work-life balance, BD believes in work-work balance. Compensation is bad. A lot of politics and favorites.

Get your act together and go back to what made you.

Management

I worked at BD

Pros

Seen the light that R&D management was useless before it was too late

Cons

Incompetent leadership and HR is even worst

Throw the bums out

Don't recommend if you are ambitious and want career development

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Work / life balance can be good, the place clears out before 6PM and many people work from home a lot
    -Pay is about average for the industry
    -Company's mission is very meaningful

Cons

-Pace is VERY slow, processes are really broken for such a large company. Who knows how things will change with the Carefusion merger
    -Limited career development options, especially if you are not connected to the right senior leaders

What you would expect out of a company this old

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time

Pros

very good work life, truly value driven organization, successful track record, relatively stable environment. Culture of nice people.

Cons

budgets change almost daily - if you don't spend your budget the second you get it expect to have it taken away even in a great year. run by old boys club of the old guard, which is recognized but very difficult to change. doesn't invest in training their people, matrix where nobody has decision rights, hugely change averse, doesn't know "what good looks like" and would rather feel their way around in certain functions in an undisciplined fashion than bring in experts and stick with their advise. Poor track record with diversity and supporting women in the work place...though its working to improve the latter

Been on both sides here

Current Employee - IT Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company tries very hard to do what's right in terms of ethics. Good work-life balance. Nice campus. Good lunch at reasonable prices. People are for the most part very nice. You can make good friends here. You are working to help people live a more healthy life.

Cons

This is the most passive-aggressive place you will ever see unfortunately. There is absolutely no leadership. Plenty of management but that means nothing. People communicate via IM but don't want to meet face to face. People shake their heads Yes in a meeting and then do nothing. There are NO consequences for failure here. NEVER say anything bad to anyone. Always smile and pretend all is well and you will live happily ever after here. Being truthful is NOT appreciated in this culture. Working in the business is better than working in Corporate. This is a NO RISK company. They let good technologies pass them by because no one wants to take on risk. The approval process for anything takes forever and is unbelievably cumbersome. HR thinks they are a policy making body. IT thinks they know better than the business as to what is needed. No one in the business has the guts to tell IT they have it all backwards as truth is not seen as positive here. I've worked in Corporate IT and in the business. The place is upside down but if you don't care you will fit right in. Consultants, as others have said, are treated like 3rd class citizens.

Get rid of the dead wood and listen to the people who know what they are doing. Those who really are the experts are not listened to and frowned upon for truth telling.