BD

BD Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza

Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance(in 33 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely slow in decision making(in 13 reviews)

• R&D engineers in Medical Surgical Systems completely distrust management(in 8 reviews)

Good work life balance

ProsOpportunities to work in many departments and in a variety of specialties. Useful classes offered to employees to advance career growth. Good benefits.

ConsLong and complicated process for things to move forward. Somewhat old fashioned approach and lack of innovation. Hard to gain visibility.

Interesting work, very smart people

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

ProsIn R&D, the environment is fairly laid back. Dress is casual and no one is micro-managing your hours. The instruments we work on are cutting edge and so are the technologies (for the most part). There is still maintenance on some legacy instruments that requires old development systems to be fired up here and there, but for the most part things are moving forward. C#, C++, VS 2013, TFS 2013, etc. Great place to sharpen your design and programming skills!

ConsThe software engineering group has become top heavy, and there is not a lot of room for advancement. Can be here 15 years before getting promoted to next level. Also, management will not hesitate to hire from the outside right into higher level positions, when there are people internally who could fill the roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees who have paid their dues here to move up, rather that being so quick to hire from the outside.

Great Company to work for

Quality Control Assistant (Former Employee) Sparks Glencoe, MD

ProsI worked there as a temporary employee, but the people I worked with were awesome. They took me to lunch multiple times. It's really a friendly and welcoming environment. There are a lot of opportunities for growth within the company.

ConsI wasn't there long enough to have any problems with the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out great, but they'll suck the life out of you.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFairly flexible work environment if you have the right team lead. Company values are terrific--if only they were truly embraced.

ConsWork/responsibility is not shared equally between departments in the same tower. Failures in one area are allowed to drag down others.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople should be held accountable for doing their jobs and if they don't, get rid of them. A true pay for performance policy needs to be adopted.

good company to work for

Assembler (Former Employee) Sandy, UT

Proshave good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath

Consshows favorism towards some employees. when it comes to going to other depts. some times even when your qualify for certain jobs they put who they want where

Advice to Senior Managementwhen down sizing a dept for what ever reason you need to put the regular employees in other depts. ins stead of transfer temps and letting the employees who are just as qualified to do the same job

Good experience to work in BD

Systems Verification Specialist (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt good place to work and people are nice. Great chance to see how industry flows, and work with different groups.

ConsLimit spot open for contractors . Need to keep looking for new career chances.

Good training for employees

Procurement (Current Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsPeople are helpful when needed.

ConsCan be a very political environment

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employee suggestions

Overall a good company with good products

Sales Manager (Former Employee) East Shore, SC

ProsEthical company
    Good Benefits
    Strong company balance sheet

ConsProducts don't always meet the needs of today's customers. Behind in getting products into the market place in a timely manner. Too many changes in organization and structure: Revolving door for GM's

Great Place to Work!

Pros- They have great compensation and benefits
    - beautiful NJ campus
    - many international locations
    - internal mobility is starting to pick up, certainly much better in the past few years.

Cons- sometimes being TOO risk adverse is not a good thing as it gets in the way of making decisions and creates a lot of additional (sometimes meaningless) tasks.

Employee and customer-focused company

ProsMany good opportunities for growth within the company. Big and necessary changes made in the past 3-5 years that allow the company to remain highly-competitive in the market and to potential recruits.

ConsStill many people who believe the company owes them something because they have not worked in other industries or for other companies and seen how businesses have been forced to adapt in the last decade. If a company isn't evolving, they are falling behind.

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!