BD Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.3

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza
Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely slow in decision making (in 13 reviews)

• R&D engineers in Medical Surgical Systems completely distrust management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

In the past, people as assets. Now, people as disposable utensils

I have been working at BD full-time

Pros

It used to be a good company to work for where people's personal beliefs and values are inline and supported by the company. Passion drives results and makes the difference in the products designed and sold.

Cons

Recent changes to bring in more external candidates (rather than to promote from within) has resulted in cracks in the culture. Newbies want to change the culture to their former companies' style and because management doesn't step in, pockets of various differing behaviors and practices now exist causing loyal and the brightest in BD to be disillusioned. One of my colleagues was asked to go because he stood up for what is right and the new incompetent manager felt threatened and forced him out. Completely uncalled for, but management just stood by and watched.

Bring in fresh blood to increase vibrancy, not destroy the good culture we had, especially people who comes from cultures where rising up means climbing over a pile of corpses. Treasure your internal talents as losing them only benefits our competitors. Be brave to stand up for people who do the right thing rather than support hierarchy hypocrites. You didn't get to where you are by yourself, remember the soldiers who laid their lives down to get you there.

BD -- a place to retire!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Benefits are pretty good - medical coverage is fairly good, and there's a pension plan.
    * Stable job - it's almost unlikely that you'll get laid off or fired unless you do something outrageous.
    * People are usually pretty nice.
    * Holiday parties are pretty fun.

Cons

* Benefits are too good - the pension is a curse. This allows incompetence to fester, thereby slowing everyone down.
    * People are so unusually nice, that everything turns into a passive aggressive war. The politics is unbelievable - I don't think I've ever gotten a straight answer out of anyone. Every time an executive decision is made, I only hear objections through gossip.
    * Where's the innovation? There's quite a lot of boast about innovating new products, but it always ends at that. Looking at the last few products released, they're just old products repackaged.
    * Where's HR? HR has no presence in this organization, and do nothing with personnel escalations.

* Eliminate the pension - this will immediately flush out the people who are just coasting and have no interest in pushing the company forward.
    * Listen to the individuals under the age of 35. There's a significant brain and age drain because management treats the company like an old boy's club. The reason things take so long is because you have no one younger willing to execute out any ideas.
    * Stop switching general management every two years. The culture of this company will never allow any changes to occur within 2 years. Keep management the same, and you'll keep the momentum of any progress to do so too.
    * Promote those that deserve it.

Horrible

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate

I worked at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a job that paid a salary to go to everyday for 18 months

Cons

I was micromanaged, screamed at by bosses and then 18 months after I was hired they let the whole department go. I suspect that they new this was happening when they hired me.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible place to work at, do not care about the safety and health of their employee. No family life.

Former Employee - Production Operator  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at BD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits and chances to change positions.

Cons

Do not care about the employees have you working seven days a week 10 hours a day.

Care more about your employees.

Narrow minded same old school boys company

Current Employee - Data Security Analyst  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Security Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

good faclities and crifetaria but it gets old .. quikcly

Cons

I worked for 2 years for Global Security Management group as employee from minority background and my experience was pathetic.Old school boys and girls keep their territory safe and do not share or let any young employees advance or perform well on job. "Not welcomed here" kind of attitude that I always felt. Not only to say, the most of time colleagues in group and manager both did not want to share any job relevant information but I found them showing lack of cooperation, collaboration and professional attitude. I found it hard to believe that manager was favoring employees without any knowledge base or experience in SAP application just because they have more number of years with company and from old school. Extremely narrow minded old school boys and girls trying to prove themselves better than anybody in the group and not ready to listen any minorities in the group. I also tried to transfer to other group to enhance my skills but did notice that managers in group were only supporting their old school boys and girls to develop skills and keep job secure. Working for this company was eye opening experience, as I realized it was not me all these years who was having issues on job, but what GROUP in company you work also decide your performance and how long you can stay with company. Company is good but it depends on what group do you work.

wake up and involve HR now to clean up old and rusted employees from Global Security Management group. Enough is enough. Company is good and do not let groups like GSM/ICM ruin company reputation.
    Either dissolve the groups like this or bring in good managers.

Global Security Management

Former Employee - Data Analyst  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

good facilities .. crafetaria .. coffee shop .. .parking facilities...........

Cons

terrible terrible environment.. same old school mentality .. in the group ..Most of manager and Sr Analyst have no idea about how IT works.. and what should be done.. poor and in-effecient processes. .poor management poor interaction between groups .. employees are with the company for 15+ years because their old school friend is protecting them, with lots of favorisms.. ..and high salary.. lots of screwing around with new employees who just join the group.. Sr Analysts and Managers are like Walmart and Kmart managers ... no clue ..just saving his or her job by throwing work at their direct reports ...without any considerations .. my experience with Global Security management group was terrible at BD.. ...New employees (within age group 40-45) are not welcomed....in short..especially from other minority groups..Never trust Sr Analyst or Managers at BD .. since their statement changes every hour....not giving good direction or guidance..What a SHAME...!!!

Wake UP ....get rid of old school boys whose skills are out dated and living in comfort zone for long time. ( 15+) years .. stop that old school mentality..and narrow minded games....It is 21st century .. now.. not 1950's or 60 's...

unethical company, bad place to work, useless HR deportment, ethics comity work under HR and middle management

Former Employee - ASM  in  Madurai (India)
    Former Employee - ASM in Madurai (India)

I worked at BD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good products, good market respect.

Cons

very bad politics at management, don't have business strategies, admin work middle management, wrong decision making.

please understand what is ethics " against of Indian employment law is also unethical"

Old Boys Club - Very disappointing in this day and age

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great Facility and Cafeteria
    - Proximity to Manhattan (30 Minutes from UWS)
    - Few Brilliant Engineers in R&D and at manufacturing sites
    - Good base pay
    - No one cares what you do --> Get away with working as little as possible (Not for me)

Cons

1. Med/Surg business unit is worst business unit to work for in the entire company. Its R&D, Marketing, Corporate Operations and Quality experience high turnover rate due to poor management.
    2. Be aware of jobs in medical surgical systems. Other cons:
    - Not for someone who thinks out of the box --> No creativity in middle/upper management
    - Lack of motivation to perform better
    - No upward mobility unless part of the old boys club
    - Promotes status quo
    - Reactive Culture --> Proactive thinking disregarded
    - Boring products/no innovation --> Syringes and Needles
    - Group think culture
    - Hierarchical management (Associate Mgr reports to Sr. Manager who reports to Associate Director who reports to Director who reports to Sr. Director)
    - No innovation leads to everyone clinching on to small 'victories'
    - Turf Wars between directors and departments
    - Middle and upper management with 25+ years experience at BD, lack of incentive to take risks. They are waiting for retirement.

Start to take more risk. Reinstate the BD internal ventures to spur creativity and innovation. Stop promoting status quo behavior. Create incentives to allow for more risktaking.

Bogus company to work .. same old white old school mentality to discriminate minorities.

Current Employee - Data Security Analyst  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Security Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good cafeteria facilities.
    Good parking facilities.
    Good Office Campus but no security.

Cons

Managers with poor Project management skills or almost no experience.
    Employees who has been working for 30+ years with BD under protection of Big brother or sister in management are not retiring and adding no value to company.
    Very old mentality and old way of working style from managers...
    Lots of favourism against minorities, especially in Global Security Management Group at Franklin Lakes, NJ. No opportunity to grow if you are minority in this group also.
    Too many little groups within company

Retire as soon as possible.
    Management needs to really stop doing favourism.

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Field Job  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Job in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, that was the carrot

Cons

I had 3 managers in 1.5 year. The last one was the worst of the worsts: no communication, favoritism big time towards males in the group.

Too bad you got rid of all the good managers, now you are stuck with the terrible ones.

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!