BD Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
3.2

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza
Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision-making is sometimes a slow and circular process (in 12 reviews)

• Work-life balance leaves something to be desired, but it depends on your position (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractors

I worked at BD as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Commute to job was short

Cons

Contractors are very poorly treated. Verbal abuse and obvious attitudes towards Contractors. I witnessed many examples where "associates" were rude and petty to multiple contractors. Not the kind of place conducive to productive work.

Wise up take stock of the talent you employ and treat your contractors with respect. High School petty behaviors kill any innovation and good attitudes. You should also not tolerate the friction between the various groups within BD either which seems to be the worse I have ever run into.

Very political environment, where very low talented people get to much power.

I worked at BD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great values and very good reputation on market.

Cons

Very political. Has too many lower talented people in very important positions, driving the company not by strategy or market reality, but just to show off a good image to their bosses.
    Innovation has no existence inside the company and just mentions of the word causes panic and fear of change. This company doesn't like any change. The world has to stop evolving for them to feel safe.

Bad HR and Bad Management

Former Employee - Lab Analyst  in  Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Analyst in Sandy, UT

I worked at BD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Medical device company with lots of research and development for continuous improvement.

Cons

BD Medical harvested weeds (Bad HR and Bad Management) might destroy BD reputation someday. Don't ever disagree with the Manager.

All BD sites should start the confidential line or website where an employee shall allow to report directly to BD Corporate office about an unfair and dirty business of the HR and Managers. This action should be kept confidentially for the benefits of the employees and the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Management, low salary, beware

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Sandy, UT

I worked at BD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's hard to find a pro for a company that has ridiculously low salaries, over works the employees, and has more politics than any other company I have worked for.

Cons

- Leadership team is very buddy and known for laying off employees that don't do exactly they say
    - Promotions are scarce if you aren't american
    - Hate to say it, but the company participates in religious discrimination. On multiple occasions, I felt uncomfortable because managers were discussing their opinions on my religion.

Build a code of conduct or some sort of ethics. The people you are promoting to management will hurt you in the long run.

Bad BD

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good products and nice brand

Cons

Soo many internal politics which make the job very disappointing

Take care of the employee and motivate them

In the past, people as assets. Now, people as disposable utensils

I have been working at BD full-time

Pros

It used to be a good company to work for where people's personal beliefs and values are inline and supported by the company. Passion drives results and makes the difference in the products designed and sold.

Cons

Recent changes to bring in more external candidates (rather than to promote from within) has resulted in cracks in the culture. Newbies want to change the culture to their former companies' style and because management doesn't step in, pockets of various differing behaviors and practices now exist causing loyal and the brightest in BD to be disillusioned. One of my colleagues was asked to go because he stood up for what is right and the new incompetent manager felt threatened and forced him out. Completely uncalled for, but management just stood by and watched.

Bring in fresh blood to increase vibrancy, not destroy the good culture we had, especially people who comes from cultures where rising up means climbing over a pile of corpses. Treasure your internal talents as losing them only benefits our competitors. Be brave to stand up for people who do the right thing rather than support hierarchy hypocrites. You didn't get to where you are by yourself, remember the soldiers who laid their lives down to get you there.

BD -- a place to retire!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Benefits are pretty good - medical coverage is fairly good, and there's a pension plan.
    * Stable job - it's almost unlikely that you'll get laid off or fired unless you do something outrageous.
    * People are usually pretty nice.
    * Holiday parties are pretty fun.

Cons

* Benefits are too good - the pension is a curse. This allows incompetence to fester, thereby slowing everyone down.
    * People are so unusually nice, that everything turns into a passive aggressive war. The politics is unbelievable - I don't think I've ever gotten a straight answer out of anyone. Every time an executive decision is made, I only hear objections through gossip.
    * Where's the innovation? There's quite a lot of boast about innovating new products, but it always ends at that. Looking at the last few products released, they're just old products repackaged.
    * Where's HR? HR has no presence in this organization, and do nothing with personnel escalations.

* Eliminate the pension - this will immediately flush out the people who are just coasting and have no interest in pushing the company forward.
    * Listen to the individuals under the age of 35. There's a significant brain and age drain because management treats the company like an old boy's club. The reason things take so long is because you have no one younger willing to execute out any ideas.
    * Stop switching general management every two years. The culture of this company will never allow any changes to occur within 2 years. Keep management the same, and you'll keep the momentum of any progress to do so too.
    * Promote those that deserve it.

Horrible

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate

I worked at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a job that paid a salary to go to everyday for 18 months

Cons

I was micromanaged, screamed at by bosses and then 18 months after I was hired they let the whole department go. I suspect that they new this was happening when they hired me.

Terrible place to work at, do not care about the safety and health of their employee. No family life.

Former Employee - Production Operator  in  Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at BD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits and chances to change positions.

Cons

Do not care about the employees have you working seven days a week 10 hours a day.

Care more about your employees.

Narrow minded same old school boys company

Current Employee - Data Security Analyst  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Security Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time for more than a year

Pros

good faclities and crifetaria but it gets old .. quikcly

Cons

I worked for 2 years for Global Security Management group as employee from minority background and my experience was pathetic.Old school boys and girls keep their territory safe and do not share or let any young employees advance or perform well on job. "Not welcomed here" kind of attitude that I always felt. Not only to say, the most of time colleagues in group and manager both did not want to share any job relevant information but I found them showing lack of cooperation, collaboration and professional attitude. I found it hard to believe that manager was favoring employees without any knowledge base or experience in SAP application just because they have more number of years with company and from old school. Extremely narrow minded old school boys and girls trying to prove themselves better than anybody in the group and not ready to listen any minorities in the group. I also tried to transfer to other group to enhance my skills but did notice that managers in group were only supporting their old school boys and girls to develop skills and keep job secure. Working for this company was eye opening experience, as I realized it was not me all these years who was having issues on job, but what GROUP in company you work also decide your performance and how long you can stay with company. Company is good but it depends on what group do you work.

wake up and involve HR now to clean up old and rusted employees from Global Security Management group. Enough is enough. Company is good and do not let groups like GSM/ICM ruin company reputation.
    Either dissolve the groups like this or bring in good managers.

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!