BD

BD Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza

Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance(in 33 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely slow in decision making(in 13 reviews)

• R&D engineers in Medical Surgical Systems completely distrust management(in 8 reviews)

Narrow minded same old school boys company

Data Security Analyst (Current Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

Prosgood faclities and crifetaria but it gets old .. quikcly

ConsI worked for 2 years for Global Security Management group as employee from minority background and my experience was pathetic.Old school boys and girls keep their territory safe and do not share or let any young employees advance or perform well on job. "Not welcomed here" kind of attitude that I always felt. Not only to say, the most of time colleagues in group and manager both did not want to share any job relevant information but I found them showing lack of cooperation, collaboration and professional attitude. I found it hard to believe that manager was favoring employees without any knowledge base or experience in SAP application just because they have more number of years with company and from old school. Extremely narrow minded old school boys and girls trying to prove themselves better than anybody in the group and not ready to listen any minorities in the group. I also tried to transfer to other group to enhance my skills but did notice that managers in group were only supporting their old school boys and girls to develop skills and keep job secure. Working for this company was eye opening experience, as I realized it was not me all these years who was having issues on job, but what GROUP in company you work also decide your performance and how long you can stay with company. Company is good but it depends on what group do you work.

Advice to Senior Managementwake up and involve HR now to clean up old and rusted employees from Global Security Management group. Enough is enough. Company is good and do not let groups like GSM/ICM ruin company reputation.
    Either dissolve the groups like this or bring in good managers.

Global Security Management

Data Analyst (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

Prosgood facilities .. crafetaria .. coffee shop .. .parking facilities...........

Consterrible terrible environment.. same old school mentality .. in the group ..Most of manager and Sr Analyst have no idea about how IT works.. and what should be done.. poor and in-effecient processes. .poor management poor interaction between groups .. employees are with the company for 15+ years because their old school friend is protecting them, with lots of favorisms.. ..and high salary.. lots of screwing around with new employees who just join the group.. Sr Analysts and Managers are like Walmart and Kmart managers ... no clue ..just saving his or her job by throwing work at their direct reports ...without any considerations .. my experience with Global Security management group was terrible at BD.. ...New employees (within age group 40-45) are not welcomed....in short..especially from other minority groups..Never trust Sr Analyst or Managers at BD .. since their statement changes every hour....not giving good direction or guidance..What a SHAME...!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake UP ....get rid of old school boys whose skills are out dated and living in comfort zone for long time. ( 15+) years .. stop that old school mentality..and narrow minded games....It is 21st century .. now.. not 1950's or 60 's...

unethical company, bad place to work, useless HR deportment, ethics comity work under HR and middle management

ASM (Former Employee) Madurai (India)

Prosgood products, good market respect.

Consvery bad politics at management, don't have business strategies, admin work middle management, wrong decision making.

Advice to Senior Managementplease understand what is ethics " against of Indian employment law is also unethical"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old Boys Club - Very disappointing in this day and age

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

Pros- Great Facility and Cafeteria
    - Proximity to Manhattan (30 Minutes from UWS)
    - Few Brilliant Engineers in R&D and at manufacturing sites
    - Good base pay
    - No one cares what you do --> Get away with working as little as possible (Not for me)

Cons1. Med/Surg business unit is worst business unit to work for in the entire company. Its R&D, Marketing, Corporate Operations and Quality experience high turnover rate due to poor management.
    2. Be aware of jobs in medical surgical systems. Other cons:
    - Not for someone who thinks out of the box --> No creativity in middle/upper management
    - Lack of motivation to perform better
    - No upward mobility unless part of the old boys club
    - Promotes status quo
    - Reactive Culture --> Proactive thinking disregarded
    - Boring products/no innovation --> Syringes and Needles
    - Group think culture
    - Hierarchical management (Associate Mgr reports to Sr. Manager who reports to Associate Director who reports to Director who reports to Sr. Director)
    - No innovation leads to everyone clinching on to small 'victories'
    - Turf Wars between directors and departments
    - Middle and upper management with 25+ years experience at BD, lack of incentive to take risks. They are waiting for retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to take more risk. Reinstate the BD internal ventures to spur creativity and innovation. Stop promoting status quo behavior. Create incentives to allow for more risktaking.

Bogus company to work .. same old white old school mentality to discriminate minorities.

Data Security Analyst (Current Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsGood cafeteria facilities.
    Good parking facilities.
    Good Office Campus but no security.

ConsManagers with poor Project management skills or almost no experience.
    Employees who has been working for 30+ years with BD under protection of Big brother or sister in management are not retiring and adding no value to company.
    Very old mentality and old way of working style from managers...
    Lots of favourism against minorities, especially in Global Security Management Group at Franklin Lakes, NJ. No opportunity to grow if you are minority in this group also.
    Too many little groups within company

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire as soon as possible.
    Management needs to really stop doing favourism.

Terrible experience

Field Job (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood salary, that was the carrot

ConsI had 3 managers in 1.5 year. The last one was the worst of the worsts: no communication, favoritism big time towards males in the group.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo bad you got rid of all the good managers, now you are stuck with the terrible ones.

Global Security Administrator, Global Security Management Group

GSA (Current Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

Prosthere are no pros that I can find except good building and faclities.

ConsUnorgaznied completely company.
    Many many Beuaracratic managers, who has no idea what they have been doing for past 30 years in company.
    terrible and ieffecient processes.
    IT department is a full of managers who lacks experience and extremely narrow minded staff who would do anything to keep their reitrement account since they have been working for 15+ years in nice and comfort zone at BD.
    Experienced and young professional in mid 40s has not advancement opportunity especially at Global Security Management group.
    Very Bad beurocratic uncooprative environment.
    GSA and GSM Group lacks direction and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementSr management needs to clean up tones of employees with attitude and living in nice comfort zone for many many years.

A company that doesn't care for their people or talents. Just politics win

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHas a good environment. People are nice and there is a true purpose to help people with their products.

ConsVery risk averse by nature. It's always the second to launch new products on the market. Always chasing competitors, instead of innovate and deploy new things. Internally, doesn't really care about it's people and talent is not valued. You must be very political to survive at this company. They are really freak about innovation. They can not handle that, because it brings changes. It's a hard environment if you want to balance your personal life with a good work,

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent people are the most valuable resource a company can have. Bureaucracy and Politics just hold back, kills talents, kills innovation, kills the ability to really impact the people around the world.

Used to be great, Now a mess

Project Manager (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsLot's of good people (but lots of drones too)
    Beautiful campus

ConsThe IT group is there for you to serve them. No customer service what-so-ever. They hand you applications to do your job and they don't work or are ridiculous to use. Help Desk has been outsourced to India and is now a joke. Getting IT to do something is harder than getting things done in Washington DC.
    Overhead to move projects forward is a killer. Too many blockers who are rewarded for their intransigence.
    It is a culture of sheep. Keep your head low and don't make waves. Even though you want to do the right thing, they don't want any waves made, even if the project suffers.
    Lay-offs every September.
    More and more H1B visas being hired and less Americans. They like to celebrate 'diversity' there.
    Management refuses to take risks on NPD.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of dead wood and support those who want to make things work. Stop laying off all your employees and then hiring or outsourcing someone who works at half the salary with no idea what they are doing.

Physicians Sales Representative

Physician Sales Representative (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsLoved the position and the sale; made great connections.

ConsCompany does not support the reps. The do not pay commissions on time and they have cheated me out of a lot of my commission by choosing to change the payout a week before payday!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what is right and pay the reps what they earn.

Worked for BD? Contribute to the Community!