BD Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.1

BD President & CEO Vincent A. Forlenza
Vincent A. Forlenza

Pros
  • Appreciate company core values, nice benefits and work-life balance (in 38 reviews)

• have good benefits has monthy incentives for wmployes to help better your heath (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance leaves something to be desired, but it depends on your position (in 7 reviews)

• Decision-making is sometimes a slow and circular process (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good manufacturing engineering internship

Former Employee - Project Engineering Intern in Columbus, NE
    Former Employee - Project Engineering Intern in Columbus, NE

I worked at BD as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mix of young and older engineers
    Friendly employees
    Cafeteria was nice
    Good company values
    Had the opportunity to work overtime but it was not required or expected
    As an intern I got plenty of chances to present my work to management. Good practice with giving and preparing presentations. I got to work on several projects.

Cons

Very specific area of work
    Most of your job is trying to improve the same processes
    As an intern we were on the hourly clock (tardies, not much flexibility in hours)

Good people to work with

Former Employee - Staff Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist in San Jose, CA

I worked at BD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are working with good people there.

Cons

Very risk averse and bureaucratic.

Started out great then went downhill due to management turnover and poor decision making.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at BD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Peers good people, supportive, and helpful. Good benefits.

Cons

Inept to incompetent engineering management; some of the worst I've ever experienced. Culture changing for the worse thanks to the same. Talks a lot about technology and innovation but a failure at both.

Some managers need to be fired.

Production Operator III

Former Employee - Production Operator in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at BD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, overtime, good pay, 401k package is good, 3 week vacation when you first start

Cons

Horrible petty management, insecure team leaders, long strenuous work with no reward no matter how well you do

If you work in the Liquid Media department may god have mercy on your soul. The team leader and supervisor are petty insecure women who feed off of misery and unless you're sleeping with them you're never going to move up or get time off if you request it

For life if you fit, if not don't go there.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Oxford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at BD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Market leader with brand heritage, an easy place to be in sales in front of customers.

Cons

Inside the company is a closed shop. Limited room for progression due to flat management structure. A lot of needless and pretentious training mandatory.

Look at your long term employees in senior positions. Is stagnation healthy and do you promote staff to one level beyond their capabilities?

Director

Current Employee - BD
    Current Employee - BD

I have been working at BD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was commensurate with title and relative to region. Shor term incentives and bonus rewards for level are below regional norm but adequate in regards to internal positions.

Cons

Where to start? Lack of knowledge from upper management skills, understanding of division role, and overall business segment objective. Decisions based perception versus facts and performance. Key leaders lacking intellectual background of science making rash decisions based on temporary employees and underperformers. Consistantly striving to catch up with competitors products and innovations. Always in the me too category instead of leading innovation. Lacks technology and platform to develop within and relies on outside developers.

Next Kodak on the radar.

Political

I worked at BD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with multiple locations, was able to receive some good experience in a few limited areas. The people at my main facility were wonderful.

Cons

Transformation limited new opportunities and challenges; my manager and his/her manager was more interested in self-preservation than doing the right thing. My manager could be judgmental even though he/she was not aware of the correct process. Still a good old boys club - a notch in the belt and making the numbers work has priority over truly analyzing the business situation and determining the true value add. Company grows by acquisition, but they do a very poor job of assimilating companies into BD and are very inconsistent acquisition to acquisition.

Need new blood in the upper levels who are true to the stated values of the company; need to care about all employees, not just those at the top, put an end to so much CYA, get rid of the mediocre talent. Walk the talk.

BD believes its purpose to advance healthcare for all people

I have been working at BD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Purpose driven company with strong values. Company has become much more innovative and comfortable with risk last few years. It is making major investments in new markets and technologies. Global growth presents good opportunities for people who work there and like the rapid pace environment.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like there is to much to do for the resources we have. The good news is that we really like what we do but we can feel stretched.

Keep up the investments. Keep focus on performance and moving out people who are parked in their jobs for long time.

BD was a great place to learn and contribute within a high-volume manufacturing environment.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Sandy, UT

I worked at BD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn about manufacturing within a regulated industry. BD is large enough to gain experience across a wide variety of disciplines.

Cons

Management is partial to the existing community preferences i.e. religious affiliation. Additionally, promotions are few and far between (six years within a group and not one promotion for anyone for about 15 people). Very conservative culture leading to a risk-averse attitude while expecting sky-high results.

Product Application Sales Specialist

Former Employee - Product Applications & Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Product Applications & Sales Specialist

I worked at BD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quality products, lean procedures. Was a nice place to work.

Cons

Unsatisfactory salary compared to market. Laterally, but not upwards expanding organization