BDO Canada

Be The First To
Add Photos

Keith Farlinger

Great

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsNear to paperless file preparation
    Lots of resources and mentors

ConsNone
    Long hours during tax season to be expected.

very unprofessional

Senior Administrator (Former Employee) Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Prossome of the staff is nice

Conssenior staff/partners have no clue what they are doing or what is going on in the firm.

The culture puts personal loyalty above professional qualifications

Tax Senior Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood work-life balance, competitive pay

ConsInternal politics is a nightmare, you can get good compensation and promotions only if you are clos to "the right person". See adverse selection at work...

Advice to Senior ManagementReanimate fair practices and merit based rewards and recognition (or get extinct)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great... Example of how not to run a company!

(Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsHmmm. Great leaving parties. They have become so good because they have had more than 50% of their employees leave in the past 12 months!

ConsWhere do you start. Don't. Don't start there at all... Start with reception which is the most unfriendly welcome you will ever receive. Move through to the empty desks that were once occupied by disgruntled employees, continue on to management that have given up hope and are preoccupied looking for other jobs and finish at the partners who don't think there is anything wrong with terrible engagement results year after year, 50% turnover, pay rises less than inflation and clients leaving in their droves. I will be very surprised if this office (on st lauret blvd) is still open in 2015. People who know, LEAVE BDO

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late. The only people who remain are too scared they will not be able to get jobs because their resumes are tarnished with the BDO name. Keith doesn't care about the office and refuses to take any action. Start looking for new jobs. You can't teach a dog new tricks, especially if you treat your employees like trash. BDO International should take a hard look at the damage this office is doing to their reputation!

Not impressed

Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- A (very) few great managers
    - Various industries to choose from

Cons- Very clicky among co-workers
    - Your experience may not be reflective of your abilities, but rather by the staff (and their mood, personalities) on your engagement
    - Not the best clients or the most knowledgeable
    - Ridiculous budgeting and expectations from upper management
    - No work-life balance (regardless what HR says)

Advice to Senior Management- Pay more to staff
    - Stand up to clients and set reasonable budgets for staff (no need for more stress than already is artificially created for no reason whatsoever)

Roller Coaster...

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsInfinte amount of knowledge to be gained..lots of experience with different areas is available

Conssame as other firms...long hours etc.. really depends on the office that you are at.. each office has a different culture

Advice to Senior Managementfair treatment of all employees is required

BDO Canada is a great company to work with.

Solution Consultant (Current Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

ProsI had an excellent experience working with BDO Canada. Appreciated at all levels and well respected.

ConsWork life balance may be a bit concerned but I am workaholics so no complaints.

Great organization with a focus on customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking towards a group based approach and knowledge share throughout the organization.
    Involvement in the community and a focus on specific markets allows for employee specialization

ConsStill many 'individuals' working to become a cohesive unit, folksy feel to the organization can put a damper on the professionalism

Advice to Senior ManagementBicycle shorts are not good business attire

Supportive mentors/leaders but hindered by internal politics.

Tax Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSupportive partners that care about the learning and development of their staff. They don't run a sweatshop and do care about the hours you put in.

ConsLots of internal politics (as is everywhere), some individuals that are close to the partners can always get by/promoted without doing much work. It's quite unfair to the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to proactively encourage and reward your top performers if you want them to stay.

Phenomenal

Auditor (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsThe people are amazing from the admin staff to the partners. This is by far the best reason to work here. Tons of teams where everyone participates. All the benefits of a big 4 firm (Training, Benefits, Tuition Reimbursement etc.), without being worked to death. Don't get me wrong the hours during busy season aren't good, but way better than Big 4.

ConsThe biggest con is the busy season hours obviously, but if you want to get into public accounting than you already know what you're signing up for.

Advice to Senior ManagementClass Act accounting firm. Don't lose sight of what has made it great.

Worked for BDO Canada? Contribute to the Community!