BDO USA

Updated Jul 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wayne Berson

Pros
  • Very collegial, collaborative, great work-life balance;(in 12 reviews)

• There are many opportunities to learn but at the cost of your outside life(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work-life balance, leadership is non-existent and plays favorites(in 18 reviews)

• Long hours, auditor perception, traveling(in 26 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work, but having an identity crisis

Senior Associate, International Tax (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfun work environment, flexible hours, great happy hours and company parties- diverse clientele and because they keep numbers lean, you get to see and take on responsibility early on

Consno transparency about compensation and bonuses; going through an identity crisis- does it want to remain middle market or does it really want to compete with the Big 4; after all these years, they still are unsure

Advice to Senior Managementbetter communication about the goals of the firm and more transparency about compensation and expectations

Do not care about doing the right thing

Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere were some great partners who tried hard to do the right thing by our clients and employees. They were few and far between.

ConsThey only cared about getting partners more money. You could not speak up about anything or you would be retaliated against.

Audit associate

Audit Associate Level I (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood work environment and training

Consbig time commitment and tough on work-life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just like any public company

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsReasonable pay; some wonderful people to work with; very little micro-managing; opportunities to expand your skill set (up to a certain point); great benefits (although there is more room for improvement); definite proponents of work-life balance

ConsNot much opportunity for growth for admins unless you want to be an Office Manager. Politics can get in the way; some of the people treat admins as inferiors (socially and mentally)

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not have supervisor as career advisor; Reward people based upon their contributions rather than whether or not key people are their cheerleaders

Great place to learn and grow

Tax Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiverse client base, competetive salary, great benefits, entrepreneurial atmosphere, opportunities for growth and advancement.

ConsHighly political atmosphere, long hours, not "Big 4".

What I expected out of college

Tax Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat for new grads. Easy to advance.

ConsLower salary than big 4

Better work/life balance than Big 4 but less pay

Assurance Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNice sized clients. Hours are more reasonable. Opportunities to work near home office or travel. Efforts made by management to grow the firm.

ConsPay is lower than it should be and as a result, staff turnover is higher than necessary. Presence in central United States is lacking and firm name is not as well known.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay staff more to reduce turnover

Challenging work that is very satisfying

Assurance Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat experience, Quick Promotions, and Smaller Clients

ConsLong hours during busy season

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more on allowing better worklife balance

Tax So-So at BDO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWhile BDO is already a large public accounting firm, it is growing rapidly, particularly in tax. There is room for advancement at the company and they are pretty flexible when it comes to work and other obligations.

ConsIt will be a lot of work. Maybe too much to make it worthwhile. The long hours maybe too much for some people and the reward not great enough. Also, the environment is heavily work oriented, so much so, that words might not be spoken for hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn understaffed workforce is a force going out the door. Also, feedback and career mentoring could be taken seriously. Some clients are worth letting go.

Great mid-tier consulting firm to work for in order to improve and master your skills.

Consulting Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbility to work independently due to client size, good pay, ability to work with other departments within the Consulting practice, great Senior Management expectations relating to Manager billable hours and excellent paid time off perks (3 years in a row with Dec 24-Jan1 off without using vacation days).

ConsCompared to Big 4, BDO seemed to be behind in adapting to new audit practices as Partners were not always willing to retool their audit approach. As a Manager, was responsible for Senior and Staff level work (e.g., smaller clients with consulting projects often only required 1 consultant, which resulted in manager doing all levels of work).

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management did a good job

Worked for BDO USA? Contribute to the Community!