BDO USA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Wayne Berson

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best of times - worst of times

Assurance Associate (Current Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat experience, develops thick skin

ConsLong hours, auditor perception, traveling

Advice to Senior ManagementCLIMB

excellent benefits and good pay but slow career advancement

Prosexcellent benefits such as 401k, medical insurance; competitive pay

Consslow career advancement, unequal distribution of job/engagements, limited room for growth, a good no. of client are small and have issues with recordkeeping/accounting or have financial difficulties

Advice to Senior Managementimprove on distributing clients to staff and managers so that each one have a chance to grow professionally, provide fair performance evaluation

BDO Los Angeles makes public accounting fun.

Experienced Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at BDO USA

ProsExcellent managers, Smart staff, gracious expense reimbursement, diverse clients, open communication, job satisfaction, career growth, performance feedback.

ConsLong hours, out of town engagements, not all managers are great (only most).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. If BDO advertises itself has not just a place to earn a CPA, but a place to be part of a community and grow your professional and business relationship, than i believe you will be the envy of all firms in Los Angeles for the personnel you attract and retain.

Oppotunity for growth is great

Employee (Current Employee)

Prossmart hardworking people.
less backstabbing and finger pointing than BIG 4
competitive salaries and benefits
Good client base
Free parking

Consinvisible upper management
no articulated vision of firm
Audit and tax do not go to market as a team.
Need to manager on the basis of more than 2 week intervals

Advice to Senior ManagementYour role is to make your employees better not tell them your achievements. Many partners should learn to listen and stop talking.

Not a bad place to work.

Tax Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at BDO USA

Pros-Workpapers and workflow are organized
-Get to work on different types of projects

Cons-Long hours
-Low salary / No overtime

BDO is A GREAT PLACE TO WORK.

Partner (Current Employee)

I have been working at BDO USA

ProsI can say that a lot of the managers enjoy working here. They also inform me that our staff enjoy working here as well, and that we offer many things that other public accounting firms do not.

- - You have the good fortune of working with some of the best people in the field. People here have basically written the tax law.
- - There is no other firm experience that gives you the gold reference on your resume. BDO on your resume is a golden ticket to future work desserts.
- - We offer flexible work schedule that fit your life. If the client work can accomodate it, our staff are able to work at home. We also offer work schedules that require less than the 55 hours - - even during tax season.
- - We offer 5 weeks of vacation during your first year of employment.
- - We offer some of the best live CPA continuing education classes in-house.
- - We offer nutrious dinners for thos who choose to stay late.

ConsI don't see any downside to working at BDO. If anything, I would think that our managers and staff would want to work more than what we require. I think we need to offer our managers and staff the ability to work on more varied client work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a person who knows the management, I think they try hard to be the best.

Need more training!

Tax Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at BDO USA

ProsI think it's a good place to start off. It provides a good basis for your resume.

ConsI've been here a few months, and I feel like my training has been lacking thus far. For example. my first few days here were spent by myself at my own computer "learning" from videos. I would have preferred a live class with other new employees. They promise that there will be more formal training in January, but so far most of the training has been absent. We are in the middle of tax season in August, and Im really learning blind. I don't think it's very efficient, and I'm eating my time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help me by training me properly.

BDO - Senior Manager

Assurance Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BDO USA

ProsBDO is a great place to work - family atmosphere, lots of opportunities for learning and growing both personally and professionally. Interesting and varied client work.

ConsCompensation is probably the most significant "con" - I don't believe it is at market rates. Also is top heavy in terms of opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Firm has done a better job than previously in terms of general communication, and we have had "pulse" surveys for some years, but I think now as the job market improves it is really time to start listening to employees.

Consulting

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at BDO USA

ProsThe ability to market and build external relationships is top-notch, and management promotes it. Also good external education opportunities. Also the management is not rude and will allow you to learn from your mistakes. Also, the firm is very quick in turning around expenses and the IT system in place is very adequate. Have learned a lot and have assumed a great amount of responsbilites in the group.

ConsSometimes the name does not take you as far marketing-wise, but the brand recognition is expanding. Also, bonus compenstation is not as strong as it should be, but that is changing. The consulting group I work in is growing and maturing, so they should become more competitive in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to rebuild the investment banking unit on the West Coast (M&A and valuation). Need to expand executive level involvement in West Coast efforts and visit the West Coast more often.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BDO USA

ProsGood experience to put on your resume.

Cons-Management is awful for the most part, with a few exceptions, they are immature, unsympathetic, political, unintelligent, the list goes on. These people wouldn't survive in a normal workplace.
-Work/Life balance is non-existent (BDO Flex is a joke)
-All you do is work, busy season never ends and the pay is pitiful for the number of hours. They also don't reward people for their hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the majority of management and start over.

Worked for BDO USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BDO USA reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BDO USA CEO Wayne Berson. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by BDO USA employees.