BDO USA

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.5

Wayne Berson

Pros
  • flexibility culture is good work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• You learn a lot, opportunities for growth (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Local office emphasis on working alot as opposed to the work life balance they promote (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours (often 10-12 hour days 6 days a week from January to April and August 1st through September 15) (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible experience, very talented and helpful managers and very reasonable compensation and bennefits

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at BDO USA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

During busy season there are several benefits such as $25 dinner credits, meal reimbursement up to $10, etc. Great work environment, great co-workers

Cons

Long hours, but expected for the profession. Be prepared to work 60+ hours a week between January and April.

Best firm in Grand Rapids, MI

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible and laid back atmosphere. Everyone works together as a team. Partners and management are approachable and willing to answer questions. The technical expertise in the office is vast and the willingness to develop and teach staff and seniors is clearly evident. The career advisor program works great. If you have an area of tax that you would like to focus on, management does their best to get you exposure and opportunities. The culture of the office is great and management is whole heartedly embracing the new core values, not just giving lip service. The office is growing and there is limitless opportunity. It is the best CPA firm to work for in West Michigan. Learning and growth focus with extremely intelligent and knowledgeable people to teach, broad client base, and a client service focus is making BDO the place to be. People who know, know BDO!

Cons

Naturally, the hours during busy season can be difficult. However, what is great is that management has recognized this and they are actually doing something about it.
    As the office has been growing like a weed, seating has been getting tight leading to creative solutions.

Keep up the good work!! Thank you for being transparent and willing to do what you can for your people.

Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

office atmosphere is very outgoing and collaborative. Everyone seemed interested in helping interns learn. Very great culture and friendly faces. Hours are better than big 4 accounting firms, and they try to make up for the long days with catered lunches and other treats.

Cons

Commuting on the train was time consuming, but that was because I lived outside of the city. During busy season, even interns worked 60+ hour weeks. While it was difficult at times, I never had to work a Saturday. There didn't seem to be many options to take time off, unless very sick or emergency.

Oct 1, 2014CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

Thanks for your feedback! Every intern and new employee is a future manager in our eyes, so it is critically important that we do our job to help you thrive at BDO. We certainly support paid time ... More

Fantastic opportunity to help people thrive

Current Employee - Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Partner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding and inclusive leadership and culture; clear and authentic core values, including putting people first.

Cons

Our current growth rate and plans are exciting and expectedly are creating a lot of work, as well as opportunities.

Continue following the strategic vision and core values we developed together.

Sep 25, 2014CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

Thank you for your ten years of dedication and for embracing our values and strategy. We recognize growth requires the continuous need for adding high caliber talent and continue our dedication to ... More

Excellent Firm

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture. Great people. Great Firm.

Cons

No middle management. In the process of integration.

Broad exposure, uncapped advancement potential

Current Employee - Tax Associate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to work on broad range of engagements and client types.
    Extensive day-to-day interaction with all levels of team, from intern to managing partner.
    Company provides excellent training and technology. Compensation is right about where it should be, and related to performance.

Cons

Sometimes increased flexibility can lead to a deviation from rigid processes. Standardization of workflow is an ever-improving and evolving exercise. Recent acquisitings and mergers, while providing unique opportunities for advancement, also cause some "adjustment pains".

Continue to lead by example in willingness to train and willingness to listen.

Growth

Current Employee - Intern in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Intern in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at BDO USA as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company is growing and evolving, and I appreciate the positive movements the company takes globally to create positive change.

Cons

Each office has its differnces, but I've seen an inconistency in leadership across the office. Although most are impressive and on board with what I look for in a company, not all offices offer that same optimism.

Sep 25, 2014CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

Be part of the optimism; your attitude will be contagious!

Great Opportunity for Career Growth

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at BDO USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BDO Pittsburgh has great leadership and a strong future. There are opportunities to grow within service lines and to advance within the firm. The teams work together well and the software resources and trainings are top-notch. Managers and seniors are good about taking the time to explain projects and provide realistic time budgets. I would definitely recommend this firm to a friend.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

Continue to provide excellent social events - the lunches, dinners, happy hours, and softball games are great! Continue to market the firm name in the city of Pittsburgh.

Sep 25, 2014CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER

This is fantastic! We are so pleased to have such a significant presence in Pittsburgh and embrace all who joined the BDO family there!

Great company!

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, opportunities and benefits

Cons

Long hours (but I knew that)

Continue to promote within

Great change from big 4 rat race

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BDO USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good team to work with, focus on building group with the right people with the right attitudes, clear direction for career growth, great pay, access to management, opportunity for advancement at multiple points in year-- better than big 4which only allows advancement once a year!

Cons

Growing team has some growing pains, but management is focused on correcting the growing pains.