BDP International

BDP International Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

BDP International President & CEO Richard Bolte, Jr.

Richard Bolte, Jr.

Felt welcomed with the staff. A lot of being moved around but understood.

I worked at BDP International as a contractor

ProsFelt welcomed with the staff. A lot of being moved around but understood. The group of non-management staff I worked with was helpful and nice and all the while working hard to complete tasks.

ConsMiddle management is spread too thin with intolerance to dealing with employees individually. The absolute main focus of the company is money driven. Turn over is high. Many people use this company as a stepping stone once they take notice of the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt IS possible to be human AND be an effective manager. You don't have to be friends but tolerance and encouragement are desperately needed. Management Courses are needed as well.

Very welcoming and professional

Logistics Coordinator II (Current Employee)
Edison, NJ

I have been working at BDP International full-time for less than a year

ProsOnly been here for three weeks, but I am enjoying the job. Training is one on one. The whole team is very helpful.

ConsOnly con for me so far is the commute.

Great company

Logistics Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at BDP International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFamily company that really cares about their employees.

ConsEmployees can get 'pigeon holed' if not careful.

great for entry level learning

Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at BDP International full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and good team leader

ConsVery few to mention. Pretty fair company.

What you give is what you get (most of the time)

I worked at BDP International for more than 8 years

ProsRoom for advancement in the company. Generally requires being noticed for the right reasons (being visible, hard work, accurate and efficient output) but being aligned with some powerful people in the company can come in handy (or being family - see Cons). Good to see some C level talent being brought in from outside the company. Good place to learn the industry, once you can see beyond the data entry. Quality HR personnel with best interest of employees (as well as the company, of course) in mind.

ConsCronyism at its finest. Family company with friends, neighbors, and their bookmaker at various levels of the hierarchy. Lacking knowledge sharing among divisions. Antiquated systems and training practices. Inconsistent processes around the company. Managers and Team Leads are too engulfed in transactional processes to truly manage their business. Pay scale and use of job titles also inconsistent throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBDP is said to be a global company. However, the level of segmentation around the globe gives the feel of different companies all operating under the BDP name. What happens in the Phila airport office, Baltimore, Chicago and Edison does not align with what is happening in the Corporate office. The disparity is more evident around the globe.
Additionally, take a look at your functional leadership teams - Managers, Team Leads, Station Heads - and ask yourself if they are in that role because of the job that they are capable of performing or do they hold that position because they grew up in South Philly and have been with the company for 20-30 years?

International logistic coordinator

Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at BDP International full-time for more than a year

Prosnice location, good people, room for advancment

Conslow pay, not alot of training

Advice to Senior Managementmomre training, career guidence

Stable position

I have been working at BDP International full-time

ProsMeet lots of people, exposure to logistics industry

ConsTraining methods are lacking and must be imporoved.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining needs to be improved.

It was tedious, shitty pay, and horrible managers.

Export Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at BDP International

ProsFirst job and get a new one As Soon As you Can

ConsGetting a masters gets you nothing, not even a raise. The medical insurance is ridiculously expensive coming to around $190 a month for one person without a family WTF. 401k matchs 1.5% of your 6% contribution what a joke. The young college graduates are required to wear nice business clothes while some of the lifers wear sweat pants and smell. You can become a manager/team leader pretty easily but they only give you 6k more to work 80 hours a week and lose your mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the open door policy so you can become a real company! Having such dominant chemical accounts why not develop your employees better too!

Great Starting Company

I have been working at BDP International

ProsThis is a great place to make friends right out of school. The people who you will work with (on an equal or almost equal level) are all extremely nice and fun. There are many office romances (good and bad) leading to many office marriages. You can expect to get a decent education on the logistics industry and then take that elsewhere. If you are vocal and hard working, and make nice with the right people, you can receive a lot of personal and professional development.

ConsAs everyone else has said, this is a family-owned company where they hired many of their friends who have made it into senior management positions. Many of these people are no good at their jobs and there are many dinosaurs who are making crazy salaries who don't do anything. That being said, they have just promoted a really good guy to Chief Operating Officer so we're all hoping to see some change in that realm.
The Bolte brothers are all really nice, fair guys... however many of their management are friends with them and I don't think bother to actually listen to their commands - which is a real shame because these guys do have good heads on their shoulders.
Depending on your manager, you can get really screwed on salary raises and benefits. Some are good, some are bad - and there is really no check on that so you're screwed until you move departments to a better, more fair manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many managers that you know are not good - I don't care how long you've been buddies - get rid of them. Make consequences for those managers who don't follow your commands.

BDP is a family owned business that tends to hire over qualified college graduates and puts them in repetitive jobs

I worked at BDP International

ProsGood office location in Philadelphia, many young people working for the company, a willingness to try new technology solutions, flat organization

ConsFamily owned business resulting in limited promotions, poor internal comminciations. old Theory X managers still around, weak on providing incentives and inconsistent in following up with goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring managers up to date on how to deal with the new generation of workers. Look to hire people who fit the company for the long haul.

Worked for BDP International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BDP International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BDP International CEO Richard Bolte, Jr. . All 25 reviews posted anonymously by BDP International employees.