BDS Marketing

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.9

J. Mark Dean

Pros
  • Great company, flexible hours, great structure (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits and reasonable auto allowance when I was an Mdm (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 35 cents a mile doesnt cover anything (in 3 reviews)

• In 7 years of full time employment, I had a whopping 2 supervisor observations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company but unstable workloads

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist II
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist II

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility with your work hours can be a huge plus and starting from my home office is definitely an advantage. My field manager has been great to work with and for, and tries to help whenever possible

Cons

Your paid mileage doesn't start until you reach your first stop, in my case 30-40 miles away on a regular basis, and ends when you leave your last store, again in my case 30-40 miles away on a regular basis. Also they pay far below the industry standard at .35 cents a mile, and only 10 an hour for drive time rather than your regular wage. These are huge drawbacks, along with no real benefit package if you are looking for insurance pto or anything like that. The pay starts at an average of 12 an hour with one of the most intensive vetting processes I've ever experienced from any potential employer.

Your employees start and end their days in their office you need to do like crossmark and pay your time and mileage that way door to door, and at least get close to the government standard of 56.4 cents per mile, again, crossmark pays .49. Look at the talent you have available to you and offer promotions and full time positions according to that, rather than let good employees slip away because they can't afford to stay and offer comprehensive benefits.

The trap of marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at BDS Marketing as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Pay
    The Experience
    The Benefits
    Sometimes given products to keep
    great for students or people who aren't the main household income

Cons

NO JOB SECURITY
    Everyone falls into the glamour of being a marketing rep. But beware. No contract is ever safe from being discontinued. I have come back from vacations to find out that the account is no longer there and I don't have a job. Its never the employees doing, its usually the account has been lowballed by another marketing company. Please don't be the only person in the household with a job if you take a job from here.

Actually try to help people get transferred to other contracts when they lose their job. Don't say you will when obviously no one takes the time to try.

Does not have fare compensation for time worked

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule working without supervision is a plus. I love working alone and being my own boss I find this to be the best way for me to be more productive and to get my work done.

Cons

This company way underestimated the time for certain projects to get done. They do not pay drive time so you will be paying out of pocket for your gas and none of the stores on your route are ever close. I had to leave because I could not make money with this job.

Compensation should be fair don't say a store visit should only be an hour when you have them visiting several areas in the store and filling out several pages of questions and taking inventory too.

Great company, miss greatly.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Over the past couple of decades, many producers and manufacturers have contracted with sales, marketing, and merchandising companies like BDS/Channel Partners(subsidiary) to stock, service, zone, audit, and reset their products in retail and wholesale locations. There are numerous companies that do this, and BDS is among the best. Their clients include global leaders in many industries, so you get to represent the best. Able to learn a wide variety of product types and information about multiple industries. Servicing takes you to multiple retail environments, from Wal Mart to Staples to Best Buy. Set your own hours and conduct visits at your own pace, compensation for travel and pay varies from 12/hr to more. Great support from district supervisor you communicate with regularly over the phone or email and weekly conference calls to keep you up to date on projects.

Cons

Was sad to have to leave after five months due to personal conflicts.

This is a well ran company!

Current Employee - Market Development Manager At BDS Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BDS Marketing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay seem to be on the higher side for a Marketing company! They seem to care about there employee's. Management seem to be one of the better management for the marketing field. Very flexible with scheduling which is nice. Get to set you schedule the way it works best for you!

Cons

They say they promote within the company haven't seen any of that yet. They do sign short contract with the clients! The hiring department will not call you or update you on the positions your looking at or interview you before making there decision. They are email friendly say they filled the position but not letting you know why they went different way! .

They are willing to work with you and your schedule

Great people

I worked at BDS Marketing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people! Very fun product to represent. My manager helped me grow as an in field representative.

Cons

No raises available, not even cost of living. Low probably of promotion because there just isn't anywhere to grow unless you are located near corporate headquarters in Irvine.

A lot of busy work/reporting that you don't get to see the final product of.

At least offer cost of living raises.

Very temporary, contract, part time

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to schedule jobs, but you are required to schedule 1 month in advance. Latest demo models are sent to your house. Easy to read instructions on how to perform job, everything is done from manuals on the internet. Submitting pay for a job also simple. Get paid for doing 2min of work that is scheduled for 30min

Cons

Mileage reimbursement 35 cents
    Pay is low
    Forced to schedule jobs 1 month in advance
    Constant emails, texts, calls.
    You have 1 contact as a supervisor but emailed by 2-3 different bosses
    Difficult to get in contact with your 1 supervisor contact
    Technical support center which allows you to order parts for displays must be done in your off hours due to LONG LONG LONG wait times. They have a call back feature but if you miss the call....
    As far as I know no chance of career opportunities

Part time workers are temporary little scabs that are easily disposed of, yep that's understood.... But on BDS Marketing's website it does state that marketing specialists are the niche that gives the company leverage over its competition. You won't have that leverage for long...Oh and you do know you're sending 300$ electronic items to these underpaid, undervalued scabs' houses so your company can reap bigger margins right? Better up that 35 cent reimbursement..

Excellent Company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Charleston, SC

I worked at BDS Marketing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, no weekends, fair minded supervisors

Cons

take too long to transition to a new job.

n/a

Great experience. Love working at my own pace.

Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Market Development Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Freedom to work how you want.

Cons

No real cons worth mentioning.

Give product to employees for demo purposes.

Simple and Rewarding

Current Employee - Assisted Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assisted Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BDS Marketing part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customer interaction and new tech to play with. The pay is decent, and the autonomy is wonderful

Cons

The work is sparse, and would only be recommended as an additional income.

None, it is a great company to work for.