BEA Systems

Add Photos

BEA Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Alfred S. Chuang

Alfred S. Chuang

Mediocre Workplace

Senior Director, Global Accounts (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Pros- some of the leadership team and employees are great people to work with

Cons- Finance carried a tremendous amount of power, which is not what a s/w company needs
    - Sales and Marketing had very little power, causing the company to build products and services that don't fit customer needs well
    - Not a customer-focused company
    - Since the company was struggling to grow revenues, there was little opportunity for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and empower Sales and Marketing to do their jobs. Stop giving Finance the head seat at the table.

Great organization. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsTight knit groups with focus on doing things right and doing things well. We worked hard and we played hard. Very motivating environment.

ConsAlthough it still had much of that start-up mentality tenure seemed to be more important than competency near the end of the company's life. As Oracle drew nearer things became much more desperate, much less team oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO lacked focus outside of himself. Great Executive Leadership team despite CEO's lack of ability to lead. He knew how to spend money, but making it was a bit beyond him.

field operations role - revenue mgr

Revenue Manager (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThere was great exposure to good leadership and sales reps. the pace of the company's growth required a lot of changes and creativity.

Consover time, there was a high level of fiefdoms from the outside hires. people from company's like tandem and HP started to errode the culture.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to better understand the specifics around the resources on the team. there is enough space to grow and empower people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Riding it out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people, interesting problem space for awhile, mostly apolitical within groups, mission critical software, opportunities to solve real-world customer problems in the enterprise computing space

ConsHeavy politics between groups, couldn't balance between cash cows and rising stars, weak overall management, often unclear / conflicting direction from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company.

Where is Bill Coleman

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat tech space, good cafeteria. Nice offices

ConsBill COleman was a much better CEO. Things really started to go wrong when AL too over. I want Bill back

Advice to Senior Managementsell to some big company already so that my stock can be worth something. If not, get Bill coleman back as CEO

Was fun while it lasted

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat place to work. Friendly people. Nice cafeteria with great chefs. A gym to work out in.
    No overtime, left early some days. Very relaxed place to work. Close to restaurants, across the street from Ebay so a lot of Ebayers would stop by our facility. Nice looking building. Great boss, i worked there for 2 years and my boss didn't have to work many weekends. I had a lot of work but was not expected to come in on the weekends. I think it's a great place to work if you have a family. They understand work life balance. HR also like to have company picnics and encouraged departments to have outings as well.

ConsI couldn't find any, they were bought by Oracle.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A good place to work, especially in Boulder, CO.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsThe pay and benefits are good, especially when looking to work in Boulder, which does not have a lot of large software companies. The products are well respected, which is nice.

ConsThe management is not as top tier as some other corporations.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Now Oracle is in charge

Director, Program Management (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsSmall, friendly, welcoming...my 3 years were mostly positive. The work life policies were in place, but it was sometimes hard to take advantage of them to the fullest given the demands.

ConsVery reactionary -- the company made decisions on a quarter to quarter basis which means some longer term goals were never met.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO felt he had to make all the decisions so it took longer to get things done than it should. Lots of revolving doors at the top that were mostly political type appointments.

No-one is minding this store, so you can join in the looting too!

Senior Principal Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThey have lots of money, and they don't keep very good track how it's spent. You can take very lavish and unnecessary business trips and business dinners on them.

ConsThe company has no future, management is incompetent, decisions are not made with respect to a meaningful strategy but only pure internal politics. Incompetents often wind up in management and are never called to account for running things into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Alfred. Stop padding your own nests. Admit when you are in over your head. Stop pretending this company is a serious threat to Oracle or SAP or IBM.

A great place to work, but not well-run enough to not get bought by Oracle

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBEA promotes excellent life work balance, at least in the division I was in. Also, I had an opportunity to work with a lot of interesting technology. Physically, the San Francisco office was a great work space. Finally, my colleagues were, to a person, intelligent, thoughtful, and very nice.

ConsSome downsides of working at BEA: the Plumtree acquisition resulted in a separate BEA division that had little communication with greater BEA. This could be seen as an advantage or drawback, depending upon your perspective, though in the end I think it worked to the detriment of the health of the overall company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, it's a bit too late for this, I guess, but I would have done more to integrate Plumtree's technology with BEA, replacing the WebLogic Portal altogether.

Worked for BEA Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BEA Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BEA Systems CEO Alfred S. Chuang. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by BEA Systems employees.