BEA Systems

Updated October 1, 2014
3.7

BEA Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Alfred S. Chuang
Alfred S. Chuang

Pros
  • Good variety of available work options, work-life balance, location in San Francisco (in 3 reviews)

• Great technology stack which is industry leading (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management interested only in their own advancement and compensation; lots of politics (in 4 reviews)

• Sadly Plumtree technology was left behind due to BEA forcing the two companies to still compete for customers against each other (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a wonderful place to work

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Great employees, great company, overall a great experience in a very successful company that consisted of intelligent engineers and overall staff of Executives who made right decisions.

Cons

The only issues that the company had was that a lot of people got tied up in complaining about not very significant issues.

Unfortunately no advice is necessary for the leadership at BEA Systems as it was acquired by Oracle in 2008 and all the individuals were either laid off or transfered on to Oracle

Mediocre Workplace

Former Employee - Senior Director, Global Accounts in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Global Accounts in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

- some of the leadership team and employees are great people to work with

Cons

- Finance carried a tremendous amount of power, which is not what a s/w company needs
    - Sales and Marketing had very little power, causing the company to build products and services that don't fit customer needs well
    - Not a customer-focused company
    - Since the company was struggling to grow revenues, there was little opportunity for advancement

Focus on the customer and empower Sales and Marketing to do their jobs. Stop giving Finance the head seat at the table.

Great organization. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Tight knit groups with focus on doing things right and doing things well. We worked hard and we played hard. Very motivating environment.

Cons

Although it still had much of that start-up mentality tenure seemed to be more important than competency near the end of the company's life. As Oracle drew nearer things became much more desperate, much less team oriented.

CEO lacked focus outside of himself. Great Executive Leadership team despite CEO's lack of ability to lead. He knew how to spend money, but making it was a bit beyond him.

field operations role - revenue mgr

Former Employee - Revenue Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Revenue Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

There was great exposure to good leadership and sales reps. the pace of the company's growth required a lot of changes and creativity.

Cons

over time, there was a high level of fiefdoms from the outside hires. people from company's like tandem and HP started to errode the culture.

try to better understand the specifics around the resources on the team. there is enough space to grow and empower people.

Riding it out

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Smart people, interesting problem space for awhile, mostly apolitical within groups, mission critical software, opportunities to solve real-world customer problems in the enterprise computing space

Cons

Heavy politics between groups, couldn't balance between cash cows and rising stars, weak overall management, often unclear / conflicting direction from senior management

Sell the company.

Where is Bill Coleman

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BEA Systems

Pros

Great tech space, good cafeteria. Nice offices

Cons

Bill COleman was a much better CEO. Things really started to go wrong when AL too over. I want Bill back

sell to some big company already so that my stock can be worth something. If not, get Bill coleman back as CEO

Was fun while it lasted

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Great place to work. Friendly people. Nice cafeteria with great chefs. A gym to work out in.
    No overtime, left early some days. Very relaxed place to work. Close to restaurants, across the street from Ebay so a lot of Ebayers would stop by our facility. Nice looking building. Great boss, i worked there for 2 years and my boss didn't have to work many weekends. I had a lot of work but was not expected to come in on the weekends. I think it's a great place to work if you have a family. They understand work life balance. HR also like to have company picnics and encouraged departments to have outings as well.

Cons

I couldn't find any, they were bought by Oracle.

None

A good place to work, especially in Boulder, CO.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

The pay and benefits are good, especially when looking to work in Boulder, which does not have a lot of large software companies. The products are well respected, which is nice.

Cons

The management is not as top tier as some other corporations.

None

Now Oracle is in charge

Former Employee - Director, Program Management in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Program Management in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Small, friendly, welcoming...my 3 years were mostly positive. The work life policies were in place, but it was sometimes hard to take advantage of them to the fullest given the demands.

Cons

Very reactionary -- the company made decisions on a quarter to quarter basis which means some longer term goals were never met.

The CEO felt he had to make all the decisions so it took longer to get things done than it should. Lots of revolving doors at the top that were mostly political type appointments.

No-one is minding this store, so you can join in the looting too!

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

They have lots of money, and they don't keep very good track how it's spent. You can take very lavish and unnecessary business trips and business dinners on them.

Cons

The company has no future, management is incompetent, decisions are not made with respect to a meaningful strategy but only pure internal politics. Incompetents often wind up in management and are never called to account for running things into the ground.

Get rid of Alfred. Stop padding your own nests. Admit when you are in over your head. Stop pretending this company is a serious threat to Oracle or SAP or IBM.