BEA Systems

Updated October 1, 2014
3.7

BEA Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Alfred S. Chuang
Alfred S. Chuang

Pros
  • Good variety of available work options, work-life balance, location in San Francisco (in 3 reviews)

• Great technology stack which is industry leading (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management interested only in their own advancement and compensation; lots of politics (in 4 reviews)

• Sadly Plumtree technology was left behind due to BEA forcing the two companies to still compete for customers against each other (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BEA Systems

Pros

Smart people and very nice pay.

Cons

Bad management, too much process makes it hard to get things done.

Better management

Could have been much better

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Exciting technology; some really good people. My direct manager was great and very concerned about the well-being of his group.

Cons

Senior management interested only in their own advancement and compensation; lots of politics! Senior management not at all in touch with the general worker population. Senior management also played favorites; often there seemed to be no connection between promotions and bonuses and the work that someone had done. Senior level executives rewarded richly, but little trickle down of bonuses and stock options to lower levels of workers.

Better communication with lower levels of company. Make sure that everyone knows and understands what the goals of the company are. Need to improve credibility to the company as a whole.

BEA needs a serious investment in systems and infrastructure. Finance has crippled the company.

Former Employee - Major Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Major Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Fast paced environment that focuses on innovation and products that customers want.

Cons

The company is crippled by the Finance organization. There is no investment in infrastructure. The infrastructure is a disaster with tools and systems outdated and underfunded.

Make an investment in the company.

Management feedback

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Innovative technology company to work for.

Cons

Poor compensation, very poor leadership

Its immaterial now

BEA Consulting Review

Former Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

Good Product and Latest Technology in the application and services infrastructure space

Cons

The immediate management was running their own show with their own say and promoting their own few people. The Executives and Senior Management were not given true picture of what is happening in the lower ranks. I have seen 3 directors promoted to VP in last 5 yrs (2002-2007) in my group (Consulting) and consultants were made to do the same type of works year-after-year. It seems like the immediate management (Directors) were fighting the battle (meeting their revenue numbers and targets) but putting guns on Consultant shoulders. Anyways, now Oracle has acquired BEA, I can only pray that things improve but I see no hope for that as the same management (Director and VP) is being kept intact from consulting perspective.

Take feedback from folks in the field and don't get blinded by the immediate subordinates (Directors and VP)

Innovation in marketing

Former Employee - Marketing Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

The marketing program I was part of was innovative and market leading (see Charlene Li's book, Groundswell). I had the scope to be creative and work with any part of the organization that I needed. The product is solid and customers were generally satisfied - a good place to start when running interactive marketing campaigns. BEA attracted good smart people, seemed like there was less deadweight than many tech companies of this size.

Cons

Budgets were tight towards the end, these programs have a long ramp time before they generate value.. Also, the downside is that BEA is part of Oracle where there is little marketing autonomy

Keep on trucking with the audience marketing programs and roll them out to other Oracle product areas.

No ability to sell.

Former Employee - Major Account Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Major Account Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at BEA Systems

Pros

BEA pays its employees well for sales performance. They let you work own your own and manage your business. The company has excellent technical resources, and good products for developers. The company is inovative in product development and product quality. It also has very loyal customers that are dedicated to its solutions.

Cons

No direction for the company. The company does not know how to compete well in the market place. BEA does not have good marketing and reley's too much on its technology. There was not a good career path for its employees. They did not communicate well, and the employees did not have much to sell. BEAs products were very hard to sell because very few people knew who they were.

Communitcate better. Tell the employees about the direction of the company. Marketing the company better. BEA had no brand presence.

Challenging, but many opportunity to learn and advance.

Current Employee - QA Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - QA Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BEA Systems

Pros

Incredible opportunity for growth within company. You can learn a lot of technology from the sharp people that work here.

Cons

There are too few employees. Often we have to switch our focus or job because there are not enough people. We are over-worked at times.

Please Hire more people!

was a good company to work for

I worked at BEA Systems (more than an year)

Pros

good work culture and salary

Cons

acquired by oracle and BEA doesn't exist

Good Work LIfe Balance and Innovative Focus

Former Employee - Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Manager in Bangalore (India)

I worked at BEA Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very Good Company and innovative focus

Cons

nothing i can think of

None