BEA Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

BEA Systems Chairman, President, and CEO Alfred S. Chuang

Alfred S. Chuang

Could have been much better

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsExciting technology; some really good people. My direct manager was great and very concerned about the well-being of his group.

ConsSenior management interested only in their own advancement and compensation; lots of politics! Senior management not at all in touch with the general worker population. Senior management also played favorites; often there seemed to be no connection between promotions and bonuses and the work that someone had done. Senior level executives rewarded richly, but little trickle down of bonuses and stock options to lower levels of workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication with lower levels of company. Make sure that everyone knows and understands what the goals of the company are. Need to improve credibility to the company as a whole.

BEA needs a serious investment in systems and infrastructure. Finance has crippled the company.

Major Account Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFast paced environment that focuses on innovation and products that customers want.

ConsThe company is crippled by the Finance organization. There is no investment in infrastructure. The infrastructure is a disaster with tools and systems outdated and underfunded.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an investment in the company.

Management feedback

Senior Principal Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative technology company to work for.

ConsPoor compensation, very poor leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementIts immaterial now

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BEA Consulting Review

Consultant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood Product and Latest Technology in the application and services infrastructure space

ConsThe immediate management was running their own show with their own say and promoting their own few people. The Executives and Senior Management were not given true picture of what is happening in the lower ranks. I have seen 3 directors promoted to VP in last 5 yrs (2002-2007) in my group (Consulting) and consultants were made to do the same type of works year-after-year. It seems like the immediate management (Directors) were fighting the battle (meeting their revenue numbers and targets) but putting guns on Consultant shoulders. Anyways, now Oracle has acquired BEA, I can only pray that things improve but I see no hope for that as the same management (Director and VP) is being kept intact from consulting perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake feedback from folks in the field and don't get blinded by the immediate subordinates (Directors and VP)

Innovation in marketing

Marketing Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe marketing program I was part of was innovative and market leading (see Charlene Li's book, Groundswell). I had the scope to be creative and work with any part of the organization that I needed. The product is solid and customers were generally satisfied - a good place to start when running interactive marketing campaigns. BEA attracted good smart people, seemed like there was less deadweight than many tech companies of this size.

ConsBudgets were tight towards the end, these programs have a long ramp time before they generate value.. Also, the downside is that BEA is part of Oracle where there is little marketing autonomy

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on trucking with the audience marketing programs and roll them out to other Oracle product areas.

No ability to sell.

Major Account Manager (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsBEA pays its employees well for sales performance. They let you work own your own and manage your business. The company has excellent technical resources, and good products for developers. The company is inovative in product development and product quality. It also has very loyal customers that are dedicated to its solutions.

ConsNo direction for the company. The company does not know how to compete well in the market place. BEA does not have good marketing and reley's too much on its technology. There was not a good career path for its employees. They did not communicate well, and the employees did not have much to sell. BEAs products were very hard to sell because very few people knew who they were.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunitcate better. Tell the employees about the direction of the company. Marketing the company better. BEA had no brand presence.

Challenging, but many opportunity to learn and advance.

QA Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIncredible opportunity for growth within company. You can learn a lot of technology from the sharp people that work here.

ConsThere are too few employees. Often we have to switch our focus or job because there are not enough people. We are over-worked at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease Hire more people!

was a good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood work culture and salary

Consacquired by oracle and BEA doesn't exist

Good Work LIfe Balance and Innovative Focus

Manager (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsVery Good Company and innovative focus

Consnothing i can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee friendly, good environment, lots to learn and contribute

Conscannot think of anything now

Advice to Senior Managementnothing now

Worked for BEA Systems? Contribute to the Community!