BECU Reviews

Reset
BECU CEO Benson Porter
Benson Porter
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work life balance; work can be interesting and rewarding serving members (in 5 reviews)

• Good work life balance, they treat their employees very well - great benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • When I left BECU it was become more and more like a bank - hard sales goals, all about the bottom line, less people-focused (in 5 reviews)

• When I was hired it the job description "soft sales" (I was hired in 2007) by the time I left in late 2009 it was very sales driven (in 3 reviews)

Emphasis is on Sales, not Service

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, 4 weeks PTO, company contributes to medical/dental benefits, decent product portfolio.

Cons

High stress, low paying role. Went through a big transition period while I was there, the increase in membership resulted in BECU being less "member focused" and more profit focused. This resulted in a less than desirable work environment for the consultants, who have to deal with chronic under-staffing (good luck trying to use that PTO), limited room for career growth, intense micro-management (nearly every movement is tracked including bathroom breaks), excessive sales goals, little support from management when dealing with difficult or dangerous members, high firing and turnover rate of staff.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, promote from within, pay your front-line workers more.

2. Was once a good company, was heading in the wrong direction when I left

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, decent PTO accrual.

Cons

They own you. Expected front line employees to attend these rediculous early morning quarterly meetings. This is very difficult for employees who have families. They want you to work overtime, working weekend events at least 4 times a year (at the time I left, may be more now). As it is we had to work bankers hours then requiring us to work multiple events on the weekends and outside regular business hours is not conducive to having a family When I was hired it the job description "soft sales" (I was hired in 2007) by the time I left in late 2009 it was very sales driven. While I was successful in it, I hated every minute of it. They wanted us to push sales, loans, loan insurance on members with unrealistic goals. This is supposed to be a credit union, not a bank but it is now a bank. In the end when I decided to quit, I gave my notice before I was leaving for vacation (big mistake - I was trying to be nice and give plenty of notice). They made me quit that day since I was on vacation and stole half of my vacation time from me because I was not fully vested. If you work here, use all your PTO before you give notice, otherwise they will take it from you.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Stop pushing sales and focus on members needs not your own greedy ways. This company used to be good before it got so big. Go back to the old business model.

RSS Feed </> Embed