BECU Reviews

51 reviews filtered by
3.5
BECU CEO Benson Porter
Benson Porter

Pros
  • Good work life balance; work can be interesting and rewarding serving members (in 5 reviews)

• Good work life balance, they treat their employees very well - great benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • sales goals are not achievable except by the select few who will get the "right" member to get more loans (in 5 reviews)

• The annual bonus is around 2k and gets taxed 37% on top of it (in 3 reviews)

1. Its good.

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Benefits and pay, being able to be your own boss if you work at a neighborhood financial center

Cons

Very sales driven, need to meet goals at end of year

2. Good place to work not a place to advance or gain feedback

I worked at BECU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

After 6 months Contact Center Reps are able to work from home and come into the office one to two times a month for reviews and monthly meetings. Good but not great benefits after 90 days of employment. Peers are willing to help the newer employees who are new to banking and may not understand everything that is thrown at them. Great amount of PTO hours that accumulates from day one. The culture of the employees always seemed to be up beat. After 6 months able to pretty much choose your own schedule from 7am-7pm M-F and select whether you want to work 4x9x4 with a day off during the week (but you do not get to choose which day) on your "Saturday week" or work 4 hours one day during the work work and the required Saturday. Easily able to switch shifts with other employees if needed. If you like or need to work overtime it is available almost every week.

Cons

Supervisors are in meetings all day and not very approachable and hardly ever at their desks. One supervisor has 15 employees to account for. Outdated policies and procedures and different procedures in person than what I had over the phone. Training was not good I felt like I was thrown under the bus and to figure it out on own or was being tracked on how many times I called the assistance line. I was told one way by a trainer but a peer or supervisor would tell me it was wrong and do it another way. Not able to schedule PTO more than 6 months in advance and the bidding was very confusing and not able to use days you wanted to. No advancement only lateral moves. BECU did not hire one supervisor from within only from the outside.

Listen to feedback from your employees instead of pushing sales that 95% of members do not want and they would not have the attrition that they have. Instead of working every third Saturday have it be the first or second Saturday of every month etc...
    Update your systems I felt like I was using one system for every thing I did. Update to the 21st century systems went down quite often. Be able to send members non-sensitive e-mails for documents they need to complete. Faxing is going the way of the landline and will not be around much longer. Have other departments that understand the product in more detail take and speak to members about IRAs, Vehicle Titles especially. A lot of information gets lost in translation and the member becomes misinformed leading to members becoming frustrated and going back to banks and

Emphasis is on Sales, not Service

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, 4 weeks PTO, company contributes to medical/dental benefits, decent product portfolio.

Cons

High stress, low paying role. Went through a big transition period while I was there, the increase in membership resulted in BECU being less "member focused" and more profit focused. This resulted in a less than desirable work environment for the consultants, who have to deal with chronic under-staffing (good luck trying to use that PTO), limited room for career growth, intense micro-management (nearly every movement is tracked including bathroom breaks), excessive sales goals, little support from management when dealing with difficult or dangerous members, high firing and turnover rate of staff.

Hire more people, promote from within, pay your front-line workers more.

Awesome

Current Employee - Contact Center
    Current Employee - Contact Center

I have been working at BECU

Pros

My manager power me to make me own decisions. She has taken the time to coach and develop me in my career aspirations. I love the team I work with.

Cons

We need better systems that work well together. IT issues are challenging to get resolved.

Continue developing employees within. Continue great benefits and employee focused programs.

Lots of promise, not so much in the way of results.

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Kent, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

20 days PTO per annum, great coworkers and direct management. Decent salary for the position.

Cons

Impossible to actually use your PTO when you want to. Required to adhere to metrics so draconian that you could get written up for using the bathroom too many times during your shift. Extremely minimal opportunity for meaningful advancement within the company.

Pay more than just lip service to employee feedback/ideas.

7. Good Place to work.

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Great Benefits, Great People, and a good supportive atmosphere.

I laugh look at some of the other comments from people; Goals are based on previous years, the goals are very attainabl and its not expected to push hard,(if you think it was hard you probably just suck at helping people and offering the right products to the right people) there is oppurtunity for overtime on occasion. I have worked at other credit unions and find BECU's values to be in line with other credit unions. It is not a bank and does not act like one. If you think goals are "hard" go to bank where they are much harder and if you don't meet them you get fired. Most of BECU's loan rates are very competivie (auto, visa, HELOC's and etc.) Sure personal loans have a higher rate but really who wants to give out money with no collateral. Its a huge risk. We had 4 weeks of new hire training that covered quite a lot. Sure it didn't cover everything but I am not sure that is possible to address every situation you may ever have. There is an average intranet page that can assist when you forget a process or get some weird transaction you dont't know how to do. There is also a Member Experience Help Desk for Consultants that can help you. They can even take over your computer and do the transaction for you! So if you use your resources you will be fine. You are not "thrown to the wolves." BECU strongly promotes from within, I interviewed several times for higher positions I was very qualified for but they hired a less experienced internal hire. It is competitive to move up internally but it happens often.

Thank goodness they don't pay income tax. If they did they would then have to be a bank and spend the members money on taxes and not be able to give lower loan rates and higher deposit rates. (deposit rates are higher than anywhere I have ever worked)

Cons

Pay is not the best in the industry but then most credit union's do not pay very well. But then you don't have the high pressure you would at a bank. Sure the systems suck and working on 20 different systems is a pain but its doable it just takes longer to finish transactions. Working in the NFC's can be tough. Most of the NFC's are understaffed (even when they are fully staffed) and you can get worn down fast. Life got much better when I got out of the NFC's

Fix the systems, staff the branches with more people it can be hard on consultants to work non-stop (you will wear your employees out) Great creative with loan products, you have the oppurtunity to get creative and they get tunnel visioned with one thing.

Growing pains

Current Employee - Member Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Member Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BECU

Pros

There are some really great people in the company who really care about helping others.

Cons

Very hard to move up from consultant. They are taking away many rewards and incentives, and the bonus is extremely low compared to other equivalent jobs in the area. Upper management seems to be at a loss for what to do. High turnover and understaffed departments.

Promote from within.

9. Great

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Hours are good no overtime

Cons

Pay is not competitive at all

Pay more

Overall a good experience, good work environment, and friendly people

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Member Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, they treat their employees very well - great benefits

Cons

When I left BECU it was become more and more like a bank - hard sales goals, all about the bottom line, less people-focused.

Remember that you are a credit union and not a bank!

Sales Driven

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Member Consultant in Tukwila, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is great. Everybody is positive.

You will meet the CEO at least once. It has a small company feel.

There are always experienced people you can trust for help. There's a general help desk you can call any time for anything and they will save you.

Cons

BECU is completely sales driven. BECU has changed directions in the last 10 years. Its no different than a bank, except BECU doesn't pay income taxes. You will be spoon fed if you really are helping the members, you'll have great loan dollars. Because everybody needs a loan, right here, right now. If you aren't hitting your numbers, its because you're not asking the right questions.

You will learn to run 20+ programs at one time while going through a six step sales process with your member. It's easy to make errors with programs such as appro, so make sure your first priority is learning to run the software well.

Every location has pretty much the same sales metrics. So stay out of grocery stores or areas known for people with bad credit. You won't be successful if you work in an area you cant hit your numbers.

Member Consultants are expected to push loans (Often times at higher rates than banks) to members. BECU no longer will help members who receive an abnormal amount of fees due to automatic transfer errors, ect. To me, this is not what a credit union stands for. We were expected to explain to the Member that account fees are required to avoid taking a "loss" to the credit union, which is false. Its just revenue building.

Expect extensive sales training, days where your manager sits behind you with a notepad to critique your sales technique, ridiculous amount sales metrics (20+ Dimensional Excel File), threat of job loss from managers for not meeting sales goals, despite nice employees and a positive environment overall.

For district managers, why aren't sales metrics based off previous year numbers for each specific location? It's illogical to base employee performance regardless of geographic location when we all know there are creditworthy and uncreditworthy areas of WA.

Benson needs to push harder for a revamp of BECU's software. It's expensive. It's hard on Member Consultants to learn yet another program. Yet it would make the Consultant/Member relationship smoother and would increase total loan dollars because of it.

Clean up the verbage. We dont need Member Experience, Member Solutions, and two different Member Advantages. It literally confuses everybody. Try something that actually describes the noun (eg: Help Desk, Retail Banking, ect)

BECU Photos