BECU Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
3.4

BECU CEO Benson Porter
Benson Porter

Company that begins EVERYTHING with member in mind, doing the right thing, and always improving

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fantastic benefits, member focus, employee centric, innovative, forward-thinking, safe, trusted, great values.

Cons

Fantastic that all employees offered free Orca train / transit card, however, connecting with vanpools is not easy. In lieu of Orca card, offer option to select a flat $ amount deposited to a Good 2 Go account to permit use of carpool lane.

hard to adjust to the culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at BECU full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It seems like management is trying to make things more satisfying for employees but they still have a long way to go.

Cons

Zero growth opportunities because none of the old timers ever leave. I say change it up and give some us younger folks the opportunities

Create more opportunities for professional growth from within the organization. Get rid of the dead weight.

great company and great culture

Current Employee - Member Consultant
    Current Employee - Member Consultant

I have been working at BECU full-time

Pros

Work is SO MUCH BETTER when you work with great people..Not only are your co-workers great, but the members we help everyday are also great. Great benefits and generous PTO.

Cons

As a consultant, long hours during the week if you work a Saturday shift which causes a stress in your work-life balance. Especially if you are commuting, the 9 hour work day with a lunch and a commute can easily turn into 11 or 12 hours.

Hire from within and great a better bench for a consultant to get promoted. Although there are a a good handful of tenured employees, most leave because advancement seems out of reach.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great employer, on the balance

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work/life balance, focus on a positive member experience, still opportunities for advancement

Cons

The place is becoming overrun with former bankers who are not necessarily team players

You've stopped promoting from within and you are sending a message to your employees that there is no point in trying to advance within the organization because there will always be somebody else out there that has done it before and is thus more qualified. However, what that somebody else doesn't have is an understanding of the culture and the history of the organization.

Life of a member consultant

Former Employee - Member Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Member Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at BECU full-time for more than a year

Pros

The quarterly goals are attainable. BECU is all about their members not sales. Management encourages you take your time educating a member and not pressuring you to sale products. Great work like balance and fun place to work. The credit union is very transparent and they products that they offer their members a free.

Cons

Growth and pay aren't too good. If you want to really want to grow within the company get hired at the position in Kent or TFC.

More growth in the company. Try to hire within.

Growing pains, High Pressure Sales Goals, Vastly Outdated Software

Former Employee - Member Consultant
    Former Employee - Member Consultant

I worked at BECU full-time

Pros

The culture is nice. Everybody is positive and its generally a fun atmosphere. It's got a small company feeling to it. You will see the CEO (Benson) around all the time.

Cons

Internal promotions are dangled over your head but never tangible, unless you want to be a NFC manager. The software is horrible, and cramps loan production with funding errors and IT issues every day. As a new employee, the world you see is a not-for-profit credit union that helps the community until you drink up all the company kool-aid. Then you'll hit the NFC's as a Member Consultant and see it's just a big bank that doesn't pay income tax. High loan goals, weekly meetings and performance reviews, performance stability plans up to and including termination for failure to meet loan goals. With this in mind, the pay was disappointing and not worth the effort, unless you particularly enjoy selling credit cards, auto loans, and helocs.

Try to promote from within. There is some discourse between consultants and management. Forget about NPS scores. Throw away all your software and start over. Please remember an under performing NFC isn't just the responsibility of the Consultants there. Look at numbers like apps to new mbr, denied apps, total apps. Not just loan dollars. Member Advantage and AIDINC is over stressed.

Very great place to work, especially if you have family

I worked at BECU for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance; work can be interesting and rewarding serving members

Cons

Lack of competitive compensation for employees

BECU Review

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Specialist in Kent, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot working with BECU. I learned how to use multiple screens and their own computer system. I learned to use my own personal experience and customer service skills and transfer it to their loan structure. I feel BECU has a lot to offer their Members.

Cons

I think they need to be more focused on Customer Service and less focused on production to insure a excellent customer experience. Purchasing a home is one of the most stressful things in someone's life. I think the less stressful a Mortgage Specialist can make the experience the better. Working closely with their Members. Sometimes they need a little extra time and patience.

Good benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Take care of their employees

Cons

Too big....losing that local connection

Lots of development opportunities early in career.

Current Employee - Professional  in  Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Professional in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, mission driven organization, development opportunities

Cons

Inconsistent management practices, culture change from organic growth to growth for the sake of growth

Slow down and perfect the craft. .. Don't settle for good enough. Allow people more time

Worked for BECU? Contribute to the Community!