BECU Reviews

Reset
3.7
BECU CEO Benson Porter
Benson Porter

Pros
  • Good work life balance; work can be interesting and rewarding serving members (in 5 reviews)

• Good work life balance, they treat their employees very well - great benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • When I left BECU it was become more and more like a bank - hard sales goals, all about the bottom line, less people-focused (in 5 reviews)

• When I was hired it the job description "soft sales" (I was hired in 2007) by the time I left in late 2009 it was very sales driven (in 3 reviews)

1. BECU Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at BECU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    generous paid time off

Cons

Hard to grow within the company

Advice to Management

Collaborate more among departments

2. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Manager in Gallup, NM
    Former Employee - Manager in Gallup, NM

I worked at BECU full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*Great at work/life balance if you work in the right department
    *Generous benefits and time off plan
    *Good coaching plans with management
    *engaged Human Resources
    *Competitive Pay for tenured staff

Cons

*goals can be difficult to attain
    *changes happen quickly and often without warning
    *training after the new hire training can be problematic

Advice to Management

*involve staff in meaningful change more
    *collaborate with other departments rather than working independently

3. Contact Center REP

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Spokane, WA

I have been working at BECU

Pros

people are great, managers are well trained. training program is 1 month long!

Cons

time off- usually impossible to get mondays or fridays off but if you have a doctors appointment they can work with you, usually its 3 months in advance to schedule PTO

5. HR

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Phenomenal growth opportunity, supportive co-workers, excellent benefits

Cons

Only in WA, not nationally known/recognized

Advice to Management

Keep the communication coming!

6. David vs Goliath story. David is becoming a teenager now...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Grounded in (and doing it's best to maintain) the Credit Union philosophy of people helping people in the face of pressure to compete against deep pocketed, for-profit competitors (BofA, Chase, etc)

Cons

Currently lots of turmoil between the old guard which drove BECU's remarkable success over the past decade and the new guard that is needed to take the company to the next level. Not necessarily unhealthy, just a comment of the current phase the business is in.

Advice to Management

As you make the changes needed to keep BECU competitive, don't lose site of what got you here.

7. Administrative

I worked at BECU

Pros

Great benefits provided at BECU.

Cons

Can't think of any - they do a great job.

Its good.

I have been working at BECU

Pros

Benefits and pay, being able to be your own boss if you work at a neighborhood financial center

Cons

Very sales driven, need to meet goals at end of year

Good place to work not a place to advance or gain feedback

I worked at BECU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After 6 months Contact Center Reps are able to work from home and come into the office one to two times a month for reviews and monthly meetings. Good but not great benefits after 90 days of employment. Peers are willing to help the newer employees who are new to banking and may not understand everything that is thrown at them. Great amount of PTO hours that accumulates from day one. The culture of the employees always seemed to be up beat. After 6 months able to pretty much choose your own schedule from 7am-7pm M-F and select whether you want to work 4x9x4 with a day off during the week (but you do not get to choose which day) on your "Saturday week" or work 4 hours one day during the work work and the required Saturday. Easily able to switch shifts with other employees if needed. If you like or need to work overtime it is available almost every week.

Cons

Supervisors are in meetings all day and not very approachable and hardly ever at their desks. One supervisor has 15 employees to account for. Outdated policies and procedures and different procedures in person than what I had over the phone. Training was not good I felt like I was thrown under the bus and to figure it out on own or was being tracked on how many times I called the assistance line. I was told one way by a trainer but a peer or supervisor would tell me it was wrong and do it another way. Not able to schedule PTO more than 6 months in advance and the bidding was very confusing and not able to use days you wanted to. No advancement only lateral moves. BECU did not hire one supervisor from within only from the outside.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from your employees instead of pushing sales that 95% of members do not want and they would not have the attrition that they have. Instead of working every third Saturday have it be the first or second Saturday of every month etc...
    Update your systems I felt like I was using one system for every thing I did. Update to the 21st century systems went down quite often. Be able to send members non-sensitive e-mails for documents they need to complete. Faxing is going the way of the landline and will not be around much longer. Have other departments that understand the product in more detail take and speak to members about IRAs, Vehicle Titles especially. A lot of information gets lost in translation and the member becomes misinformed leading to members becoming frustrated and going back to banks and

Awesome

Current Employee - Contact Center
    Current Employee - Contact Center

I have been working at BECU

Pros

My manager power me to make me own decisions. She has taken the time to coach and develop me in my career aspirations. I love the team I work with.

Cons

We need better systems that work well together. IT issues are challenging to get resolved.

Advice to Management

Continue developing employees within. Continue great benefits and employee focused programs.

Emphasis is on Sales, not Service

Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Member Consultant in Everett, WA

I worked at BECU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, 4 weeks PTO, company contributes to medical/dental benefits, decent product portfolio.

Cons

High stress, low paying role. Went through a big transition period while I was there, the increase in membership resulted in BECU being less "member focused" and more profit focused. This resulted in a less than desirable work environment for the consultants, who have to deal with chronic under-staffing (good luck trying to use that PTO), limited room for career growth, intense micro-management (nearly every movement is tracked including bathroom breaks), excessive sales goals, little support from management when dealing with difficult or dangerous members, high firing and turnover rate of staff.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, promote from within, pay your front-line workers more.

RSS Feed </> Embed