BECU

BECU Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

BECU CEO Benson Porter

Benson Porter

great employer, on the balance

Information Technology (Current Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsGreat work/life balance, focus on a positive member experience, still opportunities for advancement

ConsThe place is becoming overrun with former bankers who are not necessarily team players

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've stopped promoting from within and you are sending a message to your employees that there is no point in trying to advance within the organization because there will always be somebody else out there that has done it before and is thus more qualified. However, what that somebody else doesn't have is an understanding of the culture and the history of the organization.

Life of a member consultant

Member Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe quarterly goals are attainable. BECU is all about their members not sales. Management encourages you take your time educating a member and not pressuring you to sale products. Great work like balance and fun place to work. The credit union is very transparent and they products that they offer their members a free.

ConsGrowth and pay aren't too good. If you want to really want to grow within the company get hired at the position in Kent or TFC.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore growth in the company. Try to hire within.

Growing pains, High Pressure Sales Goals, Vastly Outdated Software

Member Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture is nice. Everybody is positive and its generally a fun atmosphere. It's got a small company feeling to it. You will see the CEO (Benson) around all the time.

ConsInternal promotions are dangled over your head but never tangible, unless you want to be a NFC manager. The software is horrible, and cramps loan production with funding errors and IT issues every day. As a new employee, the world you see is a not-for-profit credit union that helps the community until you drink up all the company kool-aid. Then you'll hit the NFC's as a Member Consultant and see it's just a big bank that doesn't pay income tax. High loan goals, weekly meetings and performance reviews, performance stability plans up to and including termination for failure to meet loan goals. With this in mind, the pay was disappointing and not worth the effort, unless you particularly enjoy selling credit cards, auto loans, and helocs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to promote from within. There is some discourse between consultants and management. Forget about NPS scores. Throw away all your software and start over. Please remember an under performing NFC isn't just the responsibility of the Consultants there. Look at numbers like apps to new mbr, denied apps, total apps. Not just loan dollars. Member Advantage and AIDINC is over stressed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very great place to work, especially if you have family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work life balance; work can be interesting and rewarding serving members

ConsLack of competitive compensation for employees

BECU Review

Mortgage Loan Specialist (Current Employee) Kent, WA

ProsI learned a lot working with BECU. I learned how to use multiple screens and their own computer system. I learned to use my own personal experience and customer service skills and transfer it to their loan structure. I feel BECU has a lot to offer their Members.

ConsI think they need to be more focused on Customer Service and less focused on production to insure a excellent customer experience. Purchasing a home is one of the most stressful things in someone's life. I think the less stressful a Mortgage Specialist can make the experience the better. Working closely with their Members. Sometimes they need a little extra time and patience.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they need to be more focused on Customer Service and less focused on production to insure a excellent customer experience. Purchasing a home is one of the most stressful things in someone's life. I think the less stressful a Mortgage Specialist can make the experience the better. Working closely with their Members. Sometimes they need a little extra time and patience

Good benefits

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsTake care of their employees

ConsToo big....losing that local connection

Lots of development opportunities early in career.

Professional (Current Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsBenefits, mission driven organization, development opportunities

ConsInconsistent management practices, culture change from organic growth to growth for the sake of growth

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and perfect the craft. .. Don't settle for good enough. Allow people more time

great compared to most workplaces but lots to improve

ProsWonderful co-workers, great benefits and good pay, innovative company, excellent members we serve, nice bonus, strong brand recognition & products that help boost morale in the company, overall positive workplace culture.

ConsFavoritism with promotions, understaffed on the front lines and back offices that wear staff thin with the heavy workload, management out of touch with their subordinates, out dated procedures for filling out member forms that slow down the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would add greater accountability measures to middle management. There is a lot of accountability for front line staff, almost too much, and I see Executive Management doing their part. The voice of middle management is out of touch and that is dragging down the company through the promotions that are made and coaching provided.

Overworked and too much emphasis on loan dollars

Member Consultant (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsThey have decent pay, good benefits, good training, generally friendly coworkers, and a tech savvy upper management who seem to genuinely care for their employees.

ConsToo much pressure to sell loan products to every single member who walks in the door, loan goals are way to high to realistically meet, the amount of sick leave granted per year is laughable, and Neighbourhood Financial Centers are too few, and too far apart resulting in excessively long wait times for members. Inflexible management. Complicated, overly redundant systems, that increase inefficiency. Long hours, especially if a member comes in for a loan just before closing.

Advice to Senior Management1) Open more NFCs. 2) Stop putting so much emphasis on loan dollars and concentrate more on customer service. The loans will come, but having employees attempt to sell a loan to every single member who walks through the door, especially when they've been forced to wait forever just so they can get a cashiers check for rent and go about their busy day is both annoying to the member, and results in poor service. 3) Stop hiring former bank executives for upper management positions.

Nice work life balance at BECU

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood medical and dental benefits and good 401 k plan

ConsNo real growth or advancement opportunities for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a thorough yearly assessment of your employees, including senior management

Worked for BECU? Contribute to the Community!