BEW Global

Add Photos

Robert Eggebrecht

Love it

Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThis business is one crazy of a roller coaster. The individuals that work here are some determined and energetic folks. The culture is very exciting and satisfying.

ConsThere is a bad taste in my mouth for all those damaging comments on this site. To keep it simple, due to the high intensity work and environment, the average Joe will never last. You have to be self-driven and motivated to keep up. Some of the managers around the office are very young and unexperienced, so it was challenging to get used to that as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working to fix the basics with growth. Stronger HR, more training and communication for leadership staff.

Equally evaluate all positive and negative review before deciding to work here

(Current Employee)

ProsThe organization is in an industry that’s quickly growing. They have incredible marketing and sales capabilities. A good place to quickly learn the industry.

ConsMy recommendation is to evaluate the negative reviews just like the positive reviews. Many of the individuals who provided negative reviews worked with BEW Global many years. On the other side of the spectrum, many of the individuals who provided positive reviews worked with the company less than a year. Do not make the assumption that the negative reviews are purely the result of disgruntled employees. Although if they were, I’d wonder why there are so many. Do note that the organization has rallied management and the limited enthusiastic employees to provide positive feedback to counteract the negative reviews. As you will see in some of the other reviews, this website is consistently monitored by the organization.

An estimated 1/3 of those employed in the SOC are managers causing confusion, severe micromanagement, misdirection and all other issues inherent in an extremely vertical hierarchy.

Management uses promises of bonuses, raises and RSUs to motivate employees to work long hours and weekends. As explained by another employee, these were not paid out in 2013.

Management expects you to work between 50 – 70 hours a week and often weekends, but requires you to use PTO to leave work late for personal reasons such as hospital appointment.

Management increased the required working hours in the SOC from 40 to 50 without increasing compensation.

Management can be disrespectful to employees using derogatory references and inappropriate language.

I have personally been questioned by management when attempting to leave when working a 9 hour day.

The company attempts to create a false sense of security for its employees with its supposed open door policy, career mapping process, and inviting CEO. The open door policy is more of a Venus Flytrap, the career mapping is useless because the organization has limited growth opportunities unless you would like to be a manager (assuming management actually shows up for your career mapping meeting).

The promised $5,000 a year for training does not actually exist.

The spiff that was discussed in another review ( AKA Gold Nugget Program) seems like a marketing campaign as opposed to a compensation benefit. I have never received a payment, but yet the company has posters all over the office designed to catch the eye of clients as they tour the office.

I agree that the SOC is turning into a call center. The standard operating procedures developed by the company may allow them to hire lower wage workers to perform the daily responsibilities by following the outlined steps.

Unrealistic Expectations of Employees & Not a Family Friendly Environment

Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

ProsBEW Global has a great story, almost the rags to riches tale, and has seen tremendous growth in the past 2 years. The talent they bring in is young, but hungry for knowledge and everyone is eager to please. The CTO, is a wealth of knowledge and any time you had a question, he would happily make himself available to help out and teach you.

ConsThere are so many things wrong with this company, it is hard to enumerate. First, the base pay is well below what most of their competitors are. Their vendor partners offer much higher salaries and the earning potential is much greater at other organizations. I also realized soon after I started my employment, that the sales team was complaining about commissions not being paid, and this was a common complaint. One can ascertain that they pay out only when the company finances are completely in order (which doesn't seem like it is often). The members of the SOC also complain that the company does not pay out on their "Golden Nugget Program" where the team gets an incentive to find data leakage problems with their clients.

I also noticed that the company doesn't like to let employees have personal time off. Multiple employees had babies born while employed at BEW Global, however there have been instances where employees expecting children to be born soon were not allowed to work from home and were requested to take PTO instead. The managers have stated that the reason these employees have to take PTO versus working from home is because the new baby will be a huge distraction to the employee. One manager even said to the team: "it doesn't take a week to have a baby, please make sure that PTO is entered into the system". The emphasis on family values at this company are atrocious. If you have a spouse, children or other family obligations, the company expects you to put the company first. Many people at this company with children constantly miss out on family time because the culture doesn't support a family environment.

The training that has been mentioned in prior reviews, is absolutely correct. I never saw $1.00 spent on my training let along $5,000. Their training methods are putting one of the C-level executives in the boardroom and everyone listens to his pitch of the company or to common problems in the industry. A more thorough investment in your employees would be wise, especially considering how high the turnover is here.

The environment at the office is not as professional as it should be, and the ones who are professional are not the ones leading the company. The upper management so crass, I have heard them bring up atrocious comments in front of female employees that I would be embarrassed to even mention. Plus, it is common knowledge that you are either a part of the "in group" and party like its 1999 with the management team, or you are NOT a part of the "in crowd" and you are ostracized from social aspects of the organization. Most of us with families are not a part of the "in crowd" because our lifestyle choices are more family oriented and less focused on partying. It is well known that to move up within an organization like this, you have to be friends with management, or your time is limited.

Open door policy - RIGHT! If I wanted to get fired, I would express concerns. I only expressed a few light concerns when I resigned, it wasn't worth wasting my breath trying to explain to management my ultimate disdain for the company. The reasons I left were because of fundamental differences in my thoughts, opinions and beliefs than what management was promoting.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a sales professional (which is what the company normally hires, generally not people straight out of college), I understand how to do my job, and that doesn't require me to work at the office to be successful. Let your employees work from home and in an environment where they feel they can thrive. What works for one employee does not work for everybody.

Pay employees what is fair market value. Most sales people will quickly figure out that they are being grossly underpaid (and once they don't receive any commissions checks after being there for months) your sales team will leave for the greener pastures. (Hence why more than half of the sales team is gone in just a few months).

Bring a higher level of professionalism to the office. Friendships will be made and alliances formed, but the office culture feels like that of college days where unsobriety, making lewd comments and sharing other inappropriate stories is normal. For those employees who come to BEW Global for a professional and fun atmosphere, we were sorely mistaken.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Network Security Engineer

Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

ProsThe people are awesome. Yes, almost everyone is in their early to mid twenties, but they're all very bright and very easy to get along with.

ConsIf you want to work here, drink their Kool-aid. I found out the hard way, when the CEO asks how it's going, you smile and "fine". I told the truth, and got my walking papers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. I think they have the company moving in the right direction.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

The Real Story at BEW Global

ProsI have been at BEW Global for over 3 years now and it is an unbelievable place to work. When I started at BEW there were only 8 people at the company and now there are over 70. There were definitely challenges along the way, but the experience will be invaluable throughout my whole professional career. If you work hard and bring innovative ideas to the management team, there is a lot of career growth at the company. However, this is not a place for people that just want to punch clock and only work 40 or less hours a week.
    The management team strives to have a great work life balance and they have implemented a GOT (Get Out There) Program which includes: a yearly ski trip, yearly white water rafting trip, mountain biking, hiking, sporting events, and community service just to name a few. Powder Days, where if it snows a certain amount we get the day off to go skiing or riding. The CEO really strives to make BEW Global a challenging and unique place to work and his door is always open if you have an idea or an issue.

ConsYou will have to challenge yourself and work more than 40 hours a week.

Group of hardworking and smart individuals genuinely concerned about improving customer security.

Information Security Engineer (Current Employee) Greenwood Village, CO

Pros- Large training budget for those who take advantage of it and work for personal improvement. A whole bunch of people have gotten CISSP, CISA, and PMP certs paid for by the company.
    - Management genuinely cares about personal improvement
    - Many career opportunities as company grows, many positions don't even exist now that will in 6 months
    - Cool and unique industry
    - Ability to protect customer and personal data
    - Friendly and innovative environment. Suggestions for making things better are encouraged
    - Hard work pays off, and people who do a good job are rewarded.
    - Great customer feedback on the quality of work done.

Cons- Heavier workloads (improved over last 6 monhts)
    - Constant change - mgmt should focus on stabilizing processes and expectations this year to help avoid customer issues and turnover
    - High turnover (both good and bad - happy to see those go who don't help the team out)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do a good job, and don't listen to the disgruntled former employees below (they're the only ones who typically post on these things anyway). It's obvious that upper management cares about employees who work hard, don't cause problems, and do a good job. Employees who aren't interested in working hard and as a team don't make it here.

Continue to push process and procedure, as it helps to stabilize customer systems and workloads. However, make sure that you listen to the SOC team advice on how to improve. (before pushing something out, make sure you get feedback first)

Make sure that this doesn't become a typical call center, and that all SOC roles have long-term paths of career growth.

A good place to build a career - I would recommend it to anybody who is driven and willing to work hard.

Deception - Stressful Work Environment

ProsGreat coworkers who are long time friends.

ConsI agree with a majority of the cons previously listed. The organization is in the process of becoming more efficient to reduce their costs and increase profits just like any organization would. As a result they are taking on characteristics of a call center (note that they hired an individual with call center management experience to manage the SOC). Regardless of what others may post, this is true. These changes in themselves are not necessarily a negative, but the organization is attempting to internally fight this connotation without changing their direction. In an attempt to do so they deceptively market the changes to the employees and chastise those who think its a call center as if this were a witch hunt. These same deception tactics are used to motivate the employees to work harder, take on “extra circulars,” and do what the company calls “surging” (working 70+ hours). "You know, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig."

It seems that several employees posted their opinions on glass door a month or two ago. The CEO read these reviews and scheduled a large meeting to better understand the employee concerns. As a result, the company blocked access to BEW Global’s glass door review page (ironic when they attempt to promote themselves as transparent), moved the CEO and CTO desks into an area where they can watch over all employees (you can literally see them hovering over all the cubicles), and fired around 7 employees. The CEO reported this firing as a cultural restructuring. You may call it what you like. I believe these actions summarize the effectiveness of the organizations open door policy.

Additional concerns:

The organization advertises to applicants that they offer $5,000 for training per employee per year. This is inaccurate as I have never received $5,000 for training and most of my training has been declined.

CEO attempted to bribe an anonymous glass door poster openly at a meeting in an attempt to identify the individual.

Internal politics are more stressful than the day to day work.

Company measures your performance based on call center performance variables not professional skills.

All the best employees from a professional skills standpoint quite or were fired.

The organization attempts to motivate employees with:

Training that does not exist

Restricted stock units that no one either has or will be able to vest because no one stays at the company long enough to vest them.

Bonuses that are promised, but never paid out.

Large raises that are promised, but are never given.

Forced everyone to permanently work 10 hour days and did not inform everyone until the Friday before it was required.

Management speaks to employees with extreme disrespect.

Please note the turnover before moving to Colorado and accepting a job here. I am tired of seeing people move to work at BEW Global and later get fired or quit.

Kick Ass Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greenwood Village, CO

ProsIf you don’t suck at life you can achieve anything here. The negative reviews are from those who have a sense of entitlement. This is the kind This company is demanding, but if you work hard you're fine. I have been here over 2 years now and can attest to the positive changes that have occurred. When I stared there when few SOP's and a lot of growing pains. We now have true processes that are tested, audited and changed as the company grows and process improvements are found.

ConsLong hours from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing

Great place to gain experience. Not a great place to build a career.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Greenwood Village, CO

ProsCutting edge industry. - DLP, especially Managed DLP Services, is a necessary and growing industry.

High profile client base. - Clients include many well known industry leaders.

Meaningful work. - Protecting a company's critical assets allows them to concentrate on growing their business. They are genuinely grateful when incidents are brought to their attention.

Very casual work environment. – Jeans and t-shirts are common. Everyone tries their hardest to work well together.

ConsVERY inexperienced managers. – Many of the managers have never managed before and the learning curve takes a toll on the team.

Disconnect between Managed Services and the rest of the company. – A huge focus is placed on revenue and not on delivering what is promised to customers. Level of effort depends on how much a client pays.

If it seems too good to be true… - Huge pay increases and promotions are talked about, but seem to not appear.

Managers treat the staff like they are children. – Workers with customer support experience are dismissed. Poor ideas are implemented without any input or consideration from those doing the work.

New ideas and initiatives are not given time to mature. - Expectations and direction are constantly changing. As soon as you get a client on board with an idea, something new comes along. Customers have told me they are "not excited" and "numb to the change".

Work / Life balance. - Do not expect to be successful if you want to have a family and don’t want to work 50+ hours every week. General rule of thumb for a salaried position is about 45 hour per week. BEW Global expects far more than that to be considered a contributor. Many of the Engineers are pulling 60 – 70 hour weeks on a regular basis.

Misrepresentation of capabilities to customers. What is sold and delivered are not exactly the same. 24/7 support consists of 2 "on-call" employees.

Pay is below industry standard.

Employees are not rewarded or acknowledged for innovative ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. You hire some VERY smart and talented people. Trust them to do the jobs you hired them for.

Stop over-promising. You will gain and keep respect with honesty. Eventually employees will expect you to deliver on the outlandish promises.

Stop misrepresenting the company to potential employees. They will see what really goes on when they get there. (I am sure I will be dismissed as just another disgruntled employee...)

Train your managers and retain them. Turnover and inexperience in the management team is your biggest hurdle. It is hard on the team and even harder on the customers.

If I was a new college graduate, this would be a great place to learn about a new and exciting industry, gain some experience, and move on. As an experienced professional, this was not a good fit.

I would like to end by saying I wish BEW Global nothing but success. I genuinely loved the people who work there and the customers I supported. If management would stop trying the shotgun approach, allow the teams to build relationships with their customers, and allow some of the better ideas to mature, many of the problems would fix themselves.

Good luck to the entire BEW Global team. I sincerely wish all of you the best.

Disappointing..

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI really like how nice everyone is. There does not seem to be anyone currently working here that is difficult. The company is getting bigger and bringing on people with an assortment of experience. I have not been with the company very long, but the culture seems strong and very active.

ConsThe choices made within the company are often hurting each employee. Many large changes often have no benefit outside of pleasing the person in control. In my opinion, recent changes (such as increased hours) are sadly implemented before any sort of automation is created in actually reducing workloads. Lastly, the amount of turnover is daunting. It’s unfortunately only getting worse as many people are seeing such negative changes and looking to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons list – Make more thoughtful changes to how it affects the moral and motivation.

Worked for BEW Global? Contribute to the Community!